PDA

View Full Version : Seems like I didn't do enough? Yet I was wiped out.

Minotaur
02-27-2003, 10:32 AM
Every now and again I tend to overthink my routine and diet (you know "the more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain"). Right now I am overthinking my routine and need some help sorting out. Btw, yes, I do think I'm making progress. I just don't want to p*** it away.

Last night I did chest. I don't care for barbell benching; more accurately I don't like the benches at my gym (the bar rack is set pretty far back so your head is half off the bench, and the racks shake when you rack the bar), so I pretty much avoid benching. Therefore I am losing strength in my bench. But I can live with it... not everyone benches or needs to.

Anyhoo... my routine last night consisted of a vertical press machine, dips, and an iso incline press (you sit vertically and press upward and outward).

Now, I used more weight on the two machines than I have in the past, pyramiding 10, 8, 8 (increasing weight each set), as well as one or two other sets for warmupsngs. Total sets was 11, 9 with decent weight.

Yet, I don't feel like I did enough! I was kicking myself for not throwing in a 3-set of dumbell presses. That would have made 12 work sets. Too much?

It took me about 40 mins. to do the workout; I thought about doing shoulders or back after chest, but ditched that idea. So it was only chest. Tonight and tomorrow will be chest and shoulders/arms, respectively. Typically my routine is 4 days, with a day devoted to...
Legs
Chest
Back
Shoulders/arms

What do you all think is a good set range for the various body parts considering my split? I find myself doing between 6-9 sets (closer to 9), occasionally more with the warmups.

Eye2_Man
02-27-2003, 10:59 AM
Hey Minotaur, you know a lot more than I do.

What you said all makes sense. 6-9 sets per body part (excluding warmup). And it all depends on what equipment you have and what exercises you want to do.

The routine I worked up has 3 exercises per big (back, upper leg, chest) body part. The primary exercise is done with 3 sets. The other two are done with 2 sets. Smaller (shoulders, triceps, biceps) body parts have 3 exercises at 2 sets each.

giantfan43
02-27-2003, 11:15 AM
Hi Minotaur -

For whats its worth, I did chest today and my workout consisted of the following ...

1) Incline BB Bench - 2 warm-up, 3 sets 12, 8, 8
2) DB Flat Bench - 3 sets 10, 8, 6
3) Incline DB Flye - 2 sets 12, 12
4) Cable cross - 2 sets 12, 12 and 1 drop set of 8,8,8

This is pretty much my usual except I may mix up the exercises and I don't always do the drop sets .. I don't feel like I'm over working and as for your work out, I might suggest adding the flyes but if you were wiped, then consider it a good workout .. my w/o today took 35 minutes which is my norm ..

I'm a believer in the 10 - 12 set range with some warm-ups ..

tracyb555
02-27-2003, 11:50 AM
If you were wiped out, that is probably a better indication that you had a good workout than the actual # of sets. Sometimes, when I feel that I haven't done enough, those are the workouts I feel most the next day. So stop second guessing yourself!

Minotaur
02-27-2003, 01:02 PM
Yes, it looks like I'm on the right track. Seems that a few of you have the same set/rep scheme as I do. Btw, when I said wiped out, I do mean my muscles were going out to lunch, not that I was dragging my butt.

See, I said I overthink. :rolleyes:

MagicMel
02-27-2003, 01:20 PM
Minotaur,

I believe that the larger the muscle group, the more sets it takes to work them out. Maybe on the order of 10-12 working sets for chest, back and legs. 6-8 working sets for bi's & tris. And a happy medium for the three muscled shoulders.

Regarding chest: I'm sure your read the "bench press" thread that's still on the current page. If not, here's the link:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102149

I might suggest you substitute db bench press for barbell bench.
Flyes are definitely a chest isolation exercise you might want to add.
Giantfan's routine looks like something you might want to try to get that pump or burn feeling.

But to quote Milo:

Originally posted by MiloMan
Neither "pump" nor "burn" are a reliable indicator of a good workout, nor is the lack thereof a reliable sign of a bad workout.

Big Ragoo
02-28-2003, 11:20 AM
To each his own, everyone is different.

I was just talking with a grad student and some of their experimentation and they are trying to find the genes that cause muscle growth. They got a group of people together and they all performed the same routine with a somewhat controlled diet over the course of 6 weeks there was a person that gained 0 muscle mass and one that gained 10lbs.

Goes to show you everyone responds different, you have to listen to your body.

I am on an HST routine and have incresed my bench press and I am only perfoming 3 sets of flat bench a week, with some weighted dips. I was at 225 for 9- 10reps now I have not yet reached my 10 rep routine yet (10 reps start in 2 workouts),
I just did 215 for 15 reps today. Squats 3X a week also no other leg exercise other than stiff leg dead lift & I just performed 300lbs squats for 16 reps......

I used to do mega sets & mega reps but that always led to overtraining and I would eventually loose ground and my bench would go down so I upped the sets and made it worse etc....

Lots of rest, lots of protien DON"t Overtrain. It's almost the opposite of what you think, the lifting in the gym is the easy part, got to listen to the body watch the diet and so on...