PDA

View Full Version : Drinking Alcohol

Tms31078
02-27-2003, 09:29 AM
I was wondering if people seriously into bodybuilding or keeping a lean physique drink at all? If you do drink is it better to have a lite beer or mixed drink? Just like anything I am sure moderation is the key, but I would be interested on others thoughts abotu drinking.

bigjay00
02-27-2003, 09:44 AM
im serious about bodybuilding, i once in a while have a drink, but not to get trashed..... i would think a mixed drink would give you a less "bloated" look.

if your gonna drink, do so responsibly

haunted_0
02-27-2003, 09:47 AM
Calorie content of common alcoholic beverages

Although alcohol itself doesn’t contain fat, it is packed with calories. And when you add in mixers – juice, sugar and other ingredients – the calories really can add up.

Beer

Non-alcoholic beer actually has the same calories as alcoholic beer: 148 calories in a pint. If you drink a light beer – like Bud Light – you’ll only take in around 99 calories per pint.

Wine

Dry wine contains fewer calories than sweeter wine. For example, a glass of dry wine has about 106 calories and a glass of sweet dessert wine has a whopping 226 calories. If you drink a glass of wine before dinner, another glass with dinner and a sweet wine for dessert, you've added more than 400 calories to your meal.

You'll be glad to hear that champagne contains the same amount of calories as other dry wines, 106 calories per glass.

The hard stuff

The calories in gin, rum, vodka or whiskey depends on the proof, which is twice the percentage of alcohol. For example, 90 proof vodka contains 45 per cent alcohol; 100 proof contains 50 per cent alcohol. And it’s easy to guess which has more calories: The higher the proof, the higher the calories. Here’s the damage:

Double shot 80 proof contains 97 calories
Double shot 90 proof contains 110 calories
Double shot 100 proof contains 124 calories

Calorie content of other types of liquor varies greatly. Watch the really sweet stuff, though. A serving of schnapps has 108 calories, and crème de menthe will set you back 186 calories.

Mixed drinks

Obviously, the larger the drink the higher the calorie content. If your favourite watering hole serves pond-sized margaritas, you can easily drink more than 400 calories (without the crisps and guacamole). Choose a smaller cocktail like a Cosmopolitan and you’ll only take in about a third of the calories. In a common serving size, here’s how many calories your favourite drink contains:

Bloody Mary: 115 calories (the celery adds less than five calories)
Gin and tonic: 171 calories
Pina colada: 262 calories
Whiskey sour: 122 calories

Tms31078
02-27-2003, 09:48 AM
I was also thinking the mixed drink has 0 carbs, like a vodka tonic, but has sugar. Beer has tons of carbs but a lot less sugar. But like you said its all about moderation, 2 or 3 drinks and call it a night.

Tim
02-27-2003, 09:50 AM
It's better to drink light beer, since mixed drinks have a lot of unnecessary calories in the form of sugar. I'm very serious about having a lean, muscular physique, but I have no interest in ever competing. And I drink on weekends. I consider it my cheat meal. I know alcohol may lower test levels a little bit, but I account for the calories by making it a cheat meal and doing cardio the next day. Of course you will only make the best possible gains if you don't drink at all, but I'm willing to sacrifice that for going out weekends, since I am unhappily single and will never compete. It all depends on what your goals are. If you bodybuild for fun, you can definitely have a good physique while going out drinking once in a while. If you compete, it would probably be best to avoid alcohol alltogether.

Tms31078
02-27-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by haunted_0
Calorie content of common alcoholic beverages

Although alcohol itself doesn’t contain fat, it is packed with calories. And when you add in mixers – juice, sugar and other ingredients – the calories really can add up.

Beer

Non-alcoholic beer actually has the same calories as alcoholic beer: 148 calories in a pint. If you drink a light beer – like Bud Light – you’ll only take in around 99 calories per pint.

Wine

Dry wine contains fewer calories than sweeter wine. For example, a glass of dry wine has about 106 calories and a glass of sweet dessert wine has a whopping 226 calories. If you drink a glass of wine before dinner, another glass with dinner and a sweet wine for dessert, you've added more than 400 calories to your meal.

You'll be glad to hear that champagne contains the same amount of calories as other dry wines, 106 calories per glass.

The hard stuff

The calories in gin, rum, vodka or whiskey depends on the proof, which is twice the percentage of alcohol. For example, 90 proof vodka contains 45 per cent alcohol; 100 proof contains 50 per cent alcohol. And it’s easy to guess which has more calories: The higher the proof, the higher the calories. Here’s the damage:

Calorie content of other types of liquor varies greatly. Watch the really sweet stuff, though. A serving of schnapps has 108 calories, and crème de menthe will set you back 186 calories.

Mixed drinks

Obviously, the larger the drink the higher the calorie content. If your favourite watering hole serves pond-sized margaritas, you can easily drink more than 400 calories (without the crisps and guacamole). Choose a smaller cocktail like a Cosmopolitan and you’ll only take in about a third of the calories. In a common serving size, here’s how many calories your favourite drink contains:

Bloody Mary: 115 calories (the celery adds less than five calories)
Gin and tonic: 171 calories
Pina colada: 262 calories
Whiskey sour: 122 calories So, what is the best to drink in moderation of course

Tms31078
02-27-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Tim
It's better to drink light beer, since mixed drinks have a lot of unnecessary calories in the form of sugar. I'm very serious about having a lean, muscular physique, but I have no interest in ever competing. And I drink on weekends. I consider it my cheat meal. I know alcohol may lower test levels a little bit, but I account for the calories by making it a cheat meal and doing cardio the next day. Of course you will only make the best possible gains if you don't drink at all, but I'm willing to sacrifice that for going out weekends, since I am unhappily single and will never compete. It all depends on what your goals are. If you bodybuild for fun, you can definitely have a good physique while going out drinking once in a while. If you compete, it would probably be best to avoid alcohol alltogether. I am in your same boat, I have no desire to compete, just very into have a good physique and gettting stronger. So, you drink two days a week on average? How much do you drink when you do?

haunted_0
02-27-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Tms31078
So, what is the best to drink in moderation of course

well i feel there really isnt a "best" alcohol to drink ...cause if you think about it ...there are more calories in a mixed drink than a beer....but how many mixed drink will it take to get a buzz or drunk compared to how many beers ...

it will probably take many more beers ....atleast it does for me ...so i would say they are about equal IMO

jpdn83
03-03-2003, 07:17 PM
Isnt hard alcohol okay to drink mixed with like diet soda or something while on keto b/c it has zero carbs? is it true that when you drink 0 carb liquers such as vodka on keto your body simply burns the alcohol first and then goes back to fat burning. it simple slows weight loss.

M.Doyle
03-03-2003, 07:48 PM

Wow, thanks for the information haunted. Is that really true though? That would mean a 26er of Rum (750mL would contain roughly 1300 calories!!! That makes me sad, because while I have totally cut out beer and wine, when that occasional night to get aboslutly destroyed comes up once or twice a year, I finish 30-40 ounces of 90 proof. Now thats over 1750 calories...I would think it was far less...like 500 at the most.

I guess I have drink upsidedown then jump on a trampoline then run into a hottub and light a joint to save some calories !

ManOfSteel2003
03-03-2003, 07:54 PM
I'm totally dedicated to bodybuilding, but I don't see the harm in having a couple beers or shots on occasion, like on the weekend with friends or at a party or something. Moderation, and on occasion.

jpdn83
03-03-2003, 08:30 PM
Here's how I look at it... I have been busting my ass in the gym and cutting in order to look good for spring break...I will probably drink 6 days in a row there, i know its bad, and i will try to consume the least amt of carbs i can but hey, you spend all of this time working to look good in order to do what...? HAVE SOME FUN ONCE IN A WHILE! you know, then after my vacation i will go back to eating correctly and working out just as hard as ever to prepare for summer. i doubt one week will do that much damage, im still gonna eat good, just will have added alcohol calories.

Canadian_AF
03-04-2003, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by bigjay00
im serious about bodybuilding, i once in a while have a drink, but not to get trashed..... i would think a mixed drink would give you a less "bloated" look.

if your gonna drink, do so responsibly

Couldn't have said it any better bro.. When I used to binge drink that used to kill me in the weight dept, but if I go out, I have couple draft and that's about it.

PhysEdge101
03-04-2003, 09:09 AM
Basically if your going to drink beer or hard liq. a person has 2 choices, either that person will prefer the carbs of the beer and what not, or an insulin spike from the sugar alcohol that is in liquor. I dedicated but i'm about to go on vacation for a week and i plan to have as much fun a possible and then get back on track, so have fun when you can but pace yourself and be responsible.

jpdn83
03-05-2003, 06:55 PM
When you are on keto hard alcohol, most of which have zero carbs, is just burned as fuel, it doesnt knock you out of ketosis....according to dr. atkins.

P.T.B.W
03-05-2003, 07:21 PM
no one has mentioned the estogenic nature of alchohol, this is one of the reasons that I avoid it.

pauline81
11-08-2004, 05:36 PM
Yes i do drink ocassionaly. Its near impossible to avoid it all together.

I stick to Gin & Soda. This is NIL carbs and has lower cals compared to nearly all other standard drinks.