PDA

View Full Version : BigLadUk - losing fat & gaining a life

BigLadUK
01-09-2007, 04:32 PM
Hi people.

First I would like to give you a quick insight into me. Well I'm 23 years old, I'm from Manchester, England & I currently weigh in at 370ilbs. I've been a big lad my entire life, right through school etc. At 17 I started at the gym, starting to play rugby seriously and generally in ok shape and quite fit. However like a lot of 17 years olds my eyes started to wonder, I no longer could be bothered with the likes of working out, sports, exercise etc, no no...I wanted beer and girls. And lots of them.

Between 17 and 20 I literally drank every weekend, eat quick food that I could get my hands on, and didn't do much else. This affected my life and weight seriously in hindsight. As some of you will know, once you gain a lot of weight and start to look at yourself in the mirror, life becomes a vicious cycle, I hated that I ate, and I ate because I hated. I hated myself for letting myself get like that, and because I didn't like myself very much...I continued to eat.

So between 20 and 23 I got myself a job in bar, taking the insults on friday & saturday nights with a pinch of salt, and continued to eat crap. I'd get up in the morning have 3 rounds of toast with peanut butter (always white bread), then I'd have a sandwich with ham and cheese (or whatever) for lunch, then off to work, and on my break have something like a sandwich, or fish and chips, or other fatty, bread-crumbed food. Then home for 1 - 2am and have another sandwich (yep...white bread again). This is a cycle I carried on for a good 2 years.

So having read that you can probably understand how I gained a good 120ilbs in 2 years. I sit here now weighing so much I'm disgusted in myself, I've searched all over the internet for various ways to get myself motivated, reading stories etc but I've come to realise that other peoples stories only get me motivated for a day or so, I can't apply their stories to my own life, I always find an excuse.

So today I decided to go for a walk...literally to see how far I could get, stupid huh? Well I walked for about 5 minutes, to the end of my street, I was sweating, out of breath, back killing me and calves burning. 5 minutes, five, 5! I sat on a wall on my street for about an hour, trying to work out at what point I got like this, at what point I became morbidly obese, so fat I couldn't walk to the bottom of my street for a paper without needing a rest.

This scared me more than I have ever been scared in my entire life, seriously. I'm 23 years old, and I cant walk to the bottom of my street without needing to stop, with aches, pains and lack of breath. What would I be like when I'm 30, if I made it that far? It's time I break through that mental wall, and got myself together. Everything about losing weight instills fear inside me; going to the gym, having people stare and laugh at me, being the worst. The most ludicrous of them all is, what if I manage to lose the weight and I'm left with lots of loose skin, stretch marks, surgery would be the only option. I laugh at this one to myself, I'm worried about WHEN I lose the weight?? Ludicrous.

So I've decided to come on here, I've read everything this site has to offer, and then read them again. I'm clued up on the science part of things, but have you ever read things so much that your brain starts to shovel this new information out and you don't know where to start? Well thats where I am right now.

I think what I'm looking for from some of you people, if you have time, are your comments, your idea's, your suggestions of where to start in terms of the gym, and more importantly food. I've tried to eat good, and I can, but I get massive cravings for something sweet and a big craving for a sandwich. Strange huh. Has anyone on here gone from where I am, to where you wanted to be? What do you suggest for me to do first?

Sorry for all the questions, and for rambling on like this, but its easy to get carried away. I've emailed my local gym asking for price's etc, and I'm trying to physche myself up to actually go, having people stare at me, or laugh at me is a very scary thought to me, if I'm truly honest. And I've never been scared of anything in my life, so this makes me rather ashamed. Any suggestions on this?

Well if you've read through all that, you get a gold star (hehe), but seriously if you've read through all that then thank you. If you could offer any help, suggestions of just pass comment, I would be very grateful. I promise to everyone, and I promise to myself that this is a new beginning for me, my new life, the life I want and crave is at the end of this journey and I truly want to be there.

Thanks again for reading.

BigLadUk.

**current stats**
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 370ilbs
Waist: 52"

evil_bong
01-09-2007, 04:56 PM
First thing is to replace all of the food in your house with better alternatives, like whole wheat bread only, and turkey or something else lean as a sandwich meat. If you normally cook with lots of oil, try cooking with water and spices. Learn to love tuna.
Find out your resting metbolic rate, http://www.24hourfitness.com/html/fitness/fit_calc/rest/ , learn how to count calories and eat(mildly) below that figure. Protein good, fat and carbs from "clean sources" and lowish.
Working out will boost your mental state and help you to stick to your goals. Cardio(running, maybe a rowing machine?) is your best friend for quick fat loss, but you need to work the weights to create a more long term raising of metabolism.

Very general stuff I admit, but good luck nonetheless.

Bruzey
01-09-2007, 05:18 PM
There are always going to be people in the world who laugh at the fat people, the short people, the hairy people, whatever it is. Shrug it off, don't let it get to you.

After all, you're going to go to the gym to improve yourself. That's what it's for. Gym's wouldn't exist if everyone was already at their ideal weight and bodyfat percentage.

The one major piece of advice I have for you is to get up and start your transformation as soon as possible. It's so easy to let this slip to the back of your mind and forget about it for a week, a month, even a year. You need to make some changes, and you need to make them now.

Join the gym, get started on a beginners routine, and slowly reduce the calories that you are eating per day. For someone of your size, you should begin to see results fairly quickly. Use it as motivation!

Good luck.

NightLordV
01-09-2007, 05:49 PM
Welcome aboard man. I was 320lbs in summer of 05, so I know what it is like to be over the 300lb mark.
I'm not going to bore you with details on how I got started and keep continuing this journey, but I will give you some advice.
You don't need a gym right away. If you can, buy yourself some light dumb bells and do some easy weight lifting at your home for about a half hour. Start off with three days a week like this, and for your cardio just do the same walk you did the end of your street.
Your body will not be so used to such activity and you will be surprised at how fast you will begin dropping weight just by doing those simple things to start with.
As you lose more you will get better at the things you started with, then you will have to gradually increase the intensity and duration of your work outs and cardio.
I highly suggest a stationary bike, they are decent priced for a cardio machine and you should be able to do it at your weight.
Thats what I have to say, good luck to you.

BigLadUK
01-10-2007, 03:36 AM
Thanks for the reply guy's - appreciated.

I've been going over some of the stickies on this thread trying to get my head round what to eat and when. So I'm trying to come up with some sort of shopping list, at the end of the day most of us know what to eat anyway, its just for some reason some ignore it!

So I'm writing these foods down, I'm more or less ignoring suppliments right now other than protein powder. I figure I should get the fundamentals right before I get into that side of things.

Cheers for the advice too - after reading I think I'm going to give myself 2 weeks of eating well, drinking lots of water (to be fair I already drink a hell of alot of water), and doing those small exercise's the last poster suggested. I already have some dumbells in the wardrobe, so I'll do a couple of exercise's with them a day and walk everyday too. Just to maybe jump start everything. After that, I suppose its time to stop feeling sorry for myself, stop giving a shhhh and get myself into a gym quicksmart.

Again thanks for the replies, if anyone else has any suggestions/comments please post. I'll be sorting out pictures soon, I read somewhere it can be good motivation down the line, and when I make it, it'll be good to look back. I'll post the diet plan I write out later so you can maybe let me know where I'm going wrong. I'm not going to be another one of those posters that post or keep it up for a few days then drop it. I'm here for the long haul.

Thanks again.

BigLadUk.

BigLadUK
01-11-2007, 03:00 AM
shameless bump for some more views/tips etc - will post diet later today

AdamSoS
01-11-2007, 03:06 AM
Welcome to the site .

Fairly new my self (NOV 06)

Need any help this site is a good home :)

Ive been at the gymm hmm 2 months? I go 5 days a week

Before i was 18 and a half stone.. same as you.. was eating crap and doint nout about it and then without seeing it..i was 18 stone..

2 months later ive lost over 2 stone..
So go for it mate. first week of the gym will be a little swore but after its all good! feel stronger,fitter,better self confidence.. the gym is heaven

JonP-UK
01-11-2007, 04:04 AM
I also wouldnt recommend a gym straight away, a change of diet and light exercise will make a huge difference to begin with.

I was also the wrong side of 300lbs a while ago, what i found was good was DDR/Dancing Stage. So if you have a PSone/PS2 or xbox handy, its a nice easy workout at home, also mix in some dumbells.

Plato458
01-11-2007, 04:52 AM
Good Luck BigLad, my mate went from 18.5st to 14st in 8 months and has visible abs :)

I know it's scarey to even consider going to a place full of slim, fit people when you feel seriously out of shape. I don't know anyone who didn't secretly brick it when they first went.

The good news is that for every Men's Health model, there are three dozen guys working off weight or growing their twiglet arms. And just as many women trying to find their arse with just two hands ;)

When you feel ready to give it a go, remember this - 99% of gym goers are only there to work-out and won't recall seeing you 5 seconds after you walk past them. Do you recall the person on the checkout at Tescos ?

I've been going to the same gym for 6 yrs and have problems recognising anyone I haven't talked with :cool:

One last thing - once you can get to the end of the street and back - go to the gym (even if it's just to have a look) and keep a training log. It's great kick-up-the-pants motivation when you're feeling crap or fat.

Px

BigLadUK
01-11-2007, 05:16 AM
Just thought I'd check in. Thanks for the replies guy, much appreciated. I know what you say is right, and I know once I get into the gym, ipod on and doing what I'm there to do I'll be fine, by the time I'm home I'd probably even think it was fun. I am dying to get in there though, I have this image of myself and my life where I want to be AFTER this fat loss.

Working on my diet now, went out yesterday and bought a load of fresh, natural, good foods. Just trying to cypher through the stickies on this board and arrange my diet so it fits in. the general gist I have got is that I should aim for about 2600 - 3000 calories (although that does seem high to me, and against what I think I know - if that makes sense). Will check back later. Any advice on the diet side of things would be appreciated though.

AdamSoS
01-11-2007, 05:38 AM
Well im no pro but what im doing is working wonders .
Like i said i was over 18 stone. just messured at 16 stone from 2 months

Morning ill have bran flakes
10:30 around ill have a sandwich(chicken/tuna) or a protein shake if rushed
12:30 ill have half a chicken from tesco ( the ready cooked ones ) with some rice or salad, followed by a fat free jelly. less then 10 calories in those and yummy!
3ish ill have the 2nd half of the chicken
1hr before gym ill have some pasta and tuna
30mins before gym i have thermogain (fatburner supplement)
Gym 10mins warm up on bike,weights then 20mins cardio
After workout ill have cell tech and then 30mins after another nitro tech

when i get home ill have some sort of protein, steak,tuna, etc.

I dont count calories but im eating right,and my diet is working. sure u could go full speed into a diet,count all the calories. but end of the day..what im eating is good. its chicken,rice,steaks, man i love those foods.. so i dont miss kfc or burgers like i used to eat every day! and i lost over 2 stone.

eat plenty of protein and low carb , with some exercise and BAM! watch the weight fly off.. lemme know how u get on mate. really hope it works out

Tomek
01-11-2007, 06:14 AM
You will find that plenty of people on these boards have been in your position, I for one was 280 back in 2004. I was looking through the boards and admiring all the people who took the plunge and burnt there un-wanted fat and i wished i was them i couldn't wait to be in there position.
Now after a lot of healthy eating and intense training im down at 190 and my goal of 175 ripped is close at hand.. It's gaven me the confidence to do anything in life i wanted to do. With determanation and consistency you will get through it quickly. Just dedicate this year to healthy eating and training develop this new lifestyle and when the results come you will never turn back.

Best of luck!!

(check the links in my sig, preferably my cutting guide it needs a bit of work but is definately a firm base to start on.)

RabidRabbit
01-11-2007, 07:45 AM
I commend your goal BigLadUK,

I was within ten pounds of your weight in 2002 (And I had three less inches than you to distribute it over). Currently I'm 190 and for the first time in my life I'm trying to gain weight (muscles). Oddly enough, I find the toughest thing to do now is eat enough to do so - and I used be one heck of a trencher! It's a weird thing after trying to lose weight for so long to be in this position :)

Pick a good diet (I did Atkins for 2 years - it worked - but not sure how healthy it really is) and start off with some easy exercise and you can do it bro.

Plato458
01-11-2007, 09:19 AM
Pick a good diet (I did Atkins for 2 years - it worked - but not sure how healthy it really is) and start off with some easy exercise and you can do it bro.

Eileen is the Keto board expert - she's been on keto maintenance now for 3yrs so she'd be a good person to talk to.

Px

BigLadUK
01-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

Tomek - will read your cutting guide soon, looks like a good read.

Whats the general concensus on Basmati rice? Trying to incorporate rice into some of my meals, and the obvious choice was brown rice (dont mind it at all with some Soy Sauce), but came accross Basmati rice somewhere on this site, so is Basmati ok? Or is it as bad as white rice and a definate no no?

Think I've got everything else sorted diet-wise. Thanks again for the comments.

cornwallus
01-11-2007, 01:39 PM
IMO, I would aim for 2000 calories, you wanna get down ASAP for health reasons, once you down to obese then start cutting, at this stage the most important thing is to get your weight down.

If your eating the right foods 2000 calories is alot of food.

Soy sauce is full of Sodium, I can't eat brown rice so when I do eat rice it's bashmati too, however I would avoid it still, Stick to staples, A steak sandwich with wholemeal bread and salad. Things like this.

BigLadUK
01-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Sorry I haven't posted in the last few days, been moving so didn't have internet access. Again cheers for all the replies. Quick update on me.

Firstly since writing the first message in this diary I've been eating well, or at least what I determine well. I've been aiming for 2000 - 2500 calories a day, getting most of those calories from protein or carbs. Been trying my best to eat 5 or 6 meals a day, but that ****s difficult when your trying! I normally eat about 4 meals, sometimes 5 and sometimes 6. I have tried to aim for a 40/40/20 split in macro nutrients. Been eating a lot of chicken & turkey. To 'spice' the blandess of chicken up a little I've been seasoning them with different spices (I presumed this was okay), with the chicken/turkey I've normally had either Basmati rice, brown rice, wholewhat pasta, jacket potatoe; along with veg, and a bucket full of water.

Since I've been eating right, I've had a lot more energy, and a lot more 'get up & go', now I dont know wether that has anything to do with the food I'm eating, or wether its the initial excitement of eating right and getting m life in order. I guess time will tell on that score.

Haven't managed to take my arse into a gym yet, but I've been walking a bit. Not long distances, just walking to the bottom of my street, grabbing a paper and walking the longer way home. Although to be fair after the walk home, I'm sweating and panting. This gets me down a bit because its clear I've let myself go a crazy amount, not only am I morbidly obese but my general fitness levels must be at or around zero. What does excite me though and give me encouragement, is that I've started this now and hopefully within a year I'll be seeing some real results.

Everytime I think of having something fatty; a packet of crisp, a chocolate bar, McDonalds or anything, I imagine where I want to be, what I'll look like, how I'll feel and where my life would be. Then I grab some fruit and get that down me, and I feel a lot better for it.

Any more advice regarding the diet, or any tips on getting into the gym or general comments feel free to post. Thanks again guys & girls.

BigLadUk.

ozzyaaron
01-18-2007, 05:55 AM
I know where you're at :)

So about 15 months ago I was just over 400lb, now after a 3 month break of just taking it easy and eating what I want before the final push to my goal I'm sitting at 210-215lb... almost half my inital weight :) I started when I was 25. So very similar hey :)

I know your story, I worked in a different job but know the feelings that create the problem.

Anyhoo enough about that stuff...

Here is what I did. I ate the right foods and only the right foods for about 3 months, I walked a little but mainly it was down to the reduction in caloric content. I aimed to go as low as possible and at about 1200cal/day !! I hadn't found this place by then.

When I got my head together I ended up eating about 1600cal/day and walking about 30min/day for about the next 3 months months. At this stage (6 months from start) I'd lost over 50kg. With very little physical effort, mainly mental. I drank black coffee, I ate oats, tuna, pasta... a lot of pasta actually.

If there is one thing I'd change about the inital 6 months it would be to hit the gym and increase protein intake, but seriously at that weight it doesn't matter if you're dedicated it will fall off, but you'll be losing muscle too.

At about 9 months in and about 250lb I was walking about 2 hours a day and eating 1800cal/day with a decent split... I then started running. First time I did 400m and was stuffed, I ran that 3 times in a week followed by an hour walk. Then the next week 800m run followed by an hour walk and bumped it up every week or fortnight until I was running 4km/night plus and hour walk afterwards.

I've been running now for about 6 months and have been at my current weight for about the same time. I now run 2-3 times a week 12km/day, once a week of 20-25km and then ride about 100-200km/wk. I really love it.

I've just started my final push to get down to a decent bf% and build muscle.

So ... my pointers and leanring from mistakes.

Make this your priority. Prepare food in advance, next day or even bulk meals for the week you can microwave. Keep as close to your 40/40/20 split as possible. Start lifting weights now. Start some cardio now, bike riding woudl be okay I reckon. Drink water. Learn about food, make sure you know what is going in your mouth :)

It's possible, if you're dedicated there is no reason why by this time next year you can't be under 200lbs AND have some good muscle too, if I had've found this place earlier it would have made a massive differnce :)

Good luck!!

Shoshona
01-18-2007, 07:31 AM
i had a friend who weighed over 300 pounds when she began her journey. she did what you're doing..

first, she started replacing unhealthy choices with healthier ones...so cleaning up her eating was priority in the beginning.

every day, she would walk to the end of her driveway and back, a few times per day...approximately 100 feet each way.
as the weeks progressed and her eating habits improved, she increased the distance of her walks, little by little.

she then worked up the courage, as she put it, to go to a gym and she purchased a treadmill at home.

by the end of the year, she had lost significant weight and was on her way to permanent success.

take it slowly and you'll have a better chance for permanent success....don't undereat and keep doing what you're doing. :)

SteR-
01-24-2007, 05:18 AM
bump

just wanting to see how everything's going biglad? hopefully you're still on track.. ;)

BigLadUK
01-27-2007, 07:26 AM
Cheers for the bump ;-)

Things are going ok, still havent got myself to the gym though, which is annoying the hell out of me. I'm normally a confident guy, outgoing etc but this mental block is just not easing up and I cant bring myself to get into the gym.

Apart from that things are ok, I've been aiming at 1500 calories a day and everyday I have been walking for about 10 minutes (I know its not much compared) to the bottom of my street, and back. I've got my diet going pretty well, eating plenty of fresh things, green veg, turkey, chicken, fish, brown rice, basmati rice, wholemeal pasta etc. That side of things are going well. Oh whilst I remember, roasted peanuts...are they ok or a no no?

I really want to get into the gym though, when I think about it I think if I joined the gym now, attended at least 4 days a week, what would I look and feel like in 6 months, 9 months, a years time. Those thoughts and images get me excited and motivated...I just cant get past that mental thing that if I go, I'll be the heaviest there, I'll look like a prick and laughing etc. Its annoying me because these kinds of things dont bother me normally, and if someone was asking for my advice I'd tell them..."Fook them, and fook what they think, just get in there and do your thing and get out, your bettering your life, who gives a **** what people think and say?" etc...but I just cant get past it.

Anyway theres a quick update, I should be able to update more now I've got my internet sorted once and for all. Any suggestions RE diet etc or any comments in general, much appreciated.

BigLadUk.

SteR-
01-27-2007, 07:53 AM
Hmm 1500 cals seems a little low for you buddy. I'd suggest maybe 2000-2500. If you drop your cals too low you'll slow your metabolism down to a snail's pace and that's never a good thing.

Seriously, don't worry about the gym thing. I was once in your position when I was like 16.. I was HUGE and yea it's tough but you have to realise that people really don't care. They're more interested in their own training. In fact, if anything, if I see big people in the gym now, I have a lot of respect for them because they're willing to make the change...

As for roasted peanuts.. well.. they're not ideal but they shouldn't do too much harm. Just remember to keep them in moderation and you'll be fine.

Keep going man, it only gets easier ;)

BigLadUK
01-27-2007, 11:15 AM
Cheers for the reply fella. Going off that advice and some of the stickies Ive read (and read...and read...and read hehe) I'll up my calories to about 2200 a day I think, see how that goes. RE the gym, I just need to kick myself up the arse and get in there ASAP. Its stupid, because I know after a few sessions I'll be fine and I'll get into it. Just finished off a grilled chicken breast, brown rice and blended green veg's. Nice. I'll keep this updated more often from now on. Thanks again for the replies...they're all welcome.

SteR-
01-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Good job, but just remember.. the longer you keep yourself out of the gym, the longer you're holding back your ideal physique ;) - just do it :)

DAYNE
01-28-2007, 10:06 AM
join a gym that has a pool, the pool will help you work out man, I did when I had my hiatus

BigLadUK
01-29-2007, 10:29 AM
food today:

8am - 2 shredded wheat with no fat milk & protein shake

10.30am - 2 slices wholemeal bread, half can of tuna, lettuce, cucumber, sliced onions

1.30pm - chicken breast, cup of brown basmati rice, veg

2.00pm - walk for 20 minutes

6.00pm - Chicken breast, brown rice, peas, green veg, peppers

9.00pm - 2 wholewheat crackers, cottage cheese, 5 or 6 grapes

Lots of water.

Is this not enough food?

Really trying to get myself to go to the gym, thinking I might just bite the bullet and get my arse down there this week. Need to stop worrying about what people will be thinking!

SteR-
01-29-2007, 02:51 PM
Well your diet looks very clean - that's a very good start. I'm not sure how many calories that works out as though.. but it's healty nonetheless.

and YES, GET YOURSELF DOWN THE GYM NOW! :) Just think about it, for every day you wait.. you're holding off getting your dream physique.. just do it, you won't regret it!

I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread.. I expect you to have signed up by friday or I'm gonna hunt you down and kick your ass! :D

SteR-
01-29-2007, 02:52 PM
actually thinking about it.. just measure/weigh yourself once a week/fortnight and evaluate how much you need to eat that way. As long as you're dropping the weight at a reasonable rate, you should be able to gauge your eating that way..

BigLadUK
01-29-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread.. I expect you to have signed up by friday or I'm gonna hunt you down and kick your ass! :D

If thats not motivation enough I dont know what is lol

But seriously I do need to suck it up and get down there, do I really want to get to 35, 450ilbs and think "If only"...that **** scary! Think I'll look into it tomorrow and give them a call, check out prices etc. Got to be done...got to be done.

Cheers for the reply, will keep this updated as much as possible

BigLadUk

j cro
01-29-2007, 07:09 PM
I started working out 4 months ago. I am 24 5'9 240 when i started now im 219. My main concern at first was I wouldnt know what to do or id look weak trying to lift weights etc. And the first 2 weeks I wouldnt step in the door without my gym partner(a friend of mine from work). Then all of a sudden I got into it and enjoyed it and now I work out harder than my old partner. And I realized there will always be somebody fatter, or somebody weaker so it really doesnt matter. And I agree when I see a fat guy in there sweating working his ass off to get where he wants i show more respect for that. its easy to be lazy and get fat and not care. I know kus i did it. I got fat by drinking alot and eating crappy. But once you start working out man its a whole different world. Just take it slowly, keep up the diet and keep up the walking. Eventually your gonna lose some weight and get that confidence and you'll make it to the gym. Dont worry about it just keep up what your doing and you'll be fine.

BigLadUK
01-30-2007, 03:54 PM
Cheers for the reply mate.

Had more or less the same thing to eat today, also had some roasted peanuts throughout the day and a couple of fruit smoothies (just frozen fruit, with pure orange juice, blended). Felt good today, walked again...although it seems I not working to my full potential on the basis that I'm not doing all I can due to me not being at the gym. Enquired a bit today, phoned a couple to get prices etc. One was so keen that they would give me 2 weeks for free, get to use all the machines etc, and no obligation. So that seemed good.

Just need to bite the bullet now I think, and just get my arse down there. Better red than dead hey.

Cheers for the replies again fellas, keep them coming. Its quite motivational posting on here knowing that people are reading/following your progress. Thanks again.

BigLadUk

fates_child03
01-30-2007, 04:14 PM
I want to congratulate you on having the guts to stand up and change your life it can be very difficult to do it. When I did the same thing myself in June of 2005 I weighed in at a grotesque 462lbs and today even after ****ty holiday eating I weight right at 200lbs. So you can do it man. Its all about how bad you want anything in life that determines whether you are going to get it or not. If you need any workout/ dieting advice or just some advice or someone to talk to never hesitate to pm me or email me and ill be glad to help you out in anyway I can.
/salute on taking the hardest step in beginning the journey to a happier healthier you.

Drroy
01-30-2007, 10:07 PM
like other posts have said and you seem to relize, you need to get your ass to the gym. Changing your diet, at your size will work well, but it will be so much more effective w/ minimal weight training and moderate cardio.....but this you know.

If you are serios about taking off the weight you will join a gym sooner or later, do it sooner. It may be tough for you to take that initial step, for fear of what others may think, but like said earler most people at the gym are focused on themselves, and wont remember you 5 minutes after they leave.

i would probably notice a fella your size at the gym, i have seen bigger. The only reason i would remember you is if i saw you there night ater night working hard, that is what would stand out....your persistance to reach a goal, not what you looked like when you first joined.

good luck

SteR-
01-31-2007, 01:57 AM
well there you go biglad, fates child03 has done exactly what you're aiming to do.. so get your ass in the gym and get things moving :)

(congrats on the weight loss fates child)

michaeb
01-31-2007, 02:17 AM
Cheers for the reply mate.

Had more or less the same thing to eat today, also had some roasted peanuts throughout the day and a couple of fruit smoothies (just frozen fruit, with pure orange juice, blended).
BigLadUk

Careful with the fruit juices and processed fruit, they usually lack the fiber that natural fruits would have. This fiber will keep you full longer. A good way to think about eating is to eat foods processed the least amount possible, this means eat the orange instead of drinking the orange juice, eat the potatoes instead of eating the french fries.

Also, start logging your food at a site like fitday.com. Most people have no idea how many calories they are consuming, be realistic with the portions and track everything you eat. A food diary really takes the mystery out of losing weight. Food dairies also serve the purpose of keeping you responsible for what you eat, every extra snack you grab you will need to log, keeps your diet in your thoughts. And its good for analyzing eating trends that might be holding you back.

Be careful eating roasted nuts. They are calories dense and although nuts like almonds and walnuts have good fats, they are easy to go overboard on. If you really want them, then count out an exact portion and call it quits there.

As far as working out goes, although a gym right away would be great you should keep on walking for sure. Try to get to 1 hour a day walking, every single day. You can lose hundreds of pounds just through right diet and walking.

BigLadUK
02-02-2007, 06:11 AM
Quick update.

Past couple of days I've been introducing soups to my diet. Make a large soup on Tuesday, full of fresh veg, add a chicken stock and it lasts for a few days. Not sure wether its in my head or what, but having a bowl of this during the day keeps me full for quite a while. Figure it was a good 'inbetween' meal. Just to take the edge off.

Been carrying on walking, and finally got in touch with a local gym. I was torn between two, one is more of a health club. I.E. they have a spa, steam room, etc and the other was a boxing gym. So a lot of 'meat heads' in there, got a few mates that go to that one though. But I plumped for the health club one, soley because I think i'll be less 'intimidated' in there, then eventually when I get the confidence of the gym, I'll start going to the other one with a few mates.

Got a meeting with the gym on tuesday, where they give you all the tests and help you with a routine etc. Half looking forward to it, and half dreading it. But I guess its a step in the right direction. Will post again tonight, but bit busy today. Any comments/suggestions welcomed. Thanks again.

AdZ9
02-02-2007, 06:29 AM
Don't be intimidated mate, stay cool theres nothing to be intimidated about. I used to be really self concious in the gym before my injury and i hated going as i thought people constantly looked/judged you. But what i've realised now is no-one gives a **** as they are to busy worrying about themselves! and the select few who do notice don't matter and are usually even more insecure than the people who don't notice.

keep it up dude, post your progress once you've been!

SteR-
02-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Quick update.

Past couple of days I've been introducing soups to my diet. Make a large soup on Tuesday, full of fresh veg, add a chicken stock and it lasts for a few days. Not sure wether its in my head or what, but having a bowl of this during the day keeps me full for quite a while. Figure it was a good 'inbetween' meal. Just to take the edge off.

Been carrying on walking, and finally got in touch with a local gym. I was torn between two, one is more of a health club. I.E. they have a spa, steam room, etc and the other was a boxing gym. So a lot of 'meat heads' in there, got a few mates that go to that one though. But I plumped for the health club one, soley because I think i'll be less 'intimidated' in there, then eventually when I get the confidence of the gym, I'll start going to the other one with a few mates.

Got a meeting with the gym on tuesday, where they give you all the tests and help you with a routine etc. Half looking forward to it, and half dreading it. But I guess its a step in the right direction. Will post again tonight, but bit busy today. Any comments/suggestions welcomed. Thanks again.

wahay, great job dude - you won't regret your descision!

Shoulda signed up to the meathead gym though haha ;). I used to go to one just like that and being around guys who were all aiming for the same thing as me was great.. you shouldn't feel intimidated but nevermind, you've got off to a great start just by signing up!

Just out of interest, where abouts do you live?

MarkyT
02-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Hey,

I read your thread the other day, just wanted to say keep at it and well done for taking steps in the right direction! I was 299lb this time last year, just cutting out crap I went to 260 in 6 months while I was travelling. I've been the same for th past 6 months now but decided that its time to shift it! I joined a gym 2 days ago and I'm doing 45mins cardio at 65-70% Mon - Fri before breakfast then weights at 5pm Mon, Wed, Fri. Aiming to be 237 by 30th March

Mark

BigLadUK
02-04-2007, 04:16 AM
wahay, great job dude - you won't regret your descision!

Shoulda signed up to the meathead gym though haha ;). I used to go to one just like that and being around guys who were all aiming for the same thing as me was great.. you shouldn't feel intimidated but nevermind, you've got off to a great start just by signing up!

Just out of interest, where abouts do you live?

Cheers mate. I'm live in Manchester, England. Most people on these boards seem to be from USA though. Bit nervous about the gym thing, but I guess Ill go there for a couple of weeks and not actually sign up for the year, then when my confidence is up, get down to the boxing gym (boxing term used loosely, its basically just a warehouse turned into a gym!) I'll post later with an update.

Cheers for the replies, didnt think it'd actually help posting on here but it really does, strange.

ScottC
02-04-2007, 04:38 AM
Sounds like you have a good start going. If you are tentaive about a gym, get some weights at home. I bought a dumbell set and a bench. I did a lot of cardio, riding a bicycle is what I enjoy. I was at 264 1/4lbs when I started in April of last year. I got down to 200 by mid-Sept. By that time I had been lifting weights in my apartment for over a month and felt good enough about myself to take the next step and join a gym.

I would caution against eating at a huge calorie deficit. It was what I did on Weight Watchers, but I didn't know any better at the time. I lost quite a bit of muscle in addition to some fat. As you will read in many other posts, when you do this you are just a smaller version of your old self...still flabby. Lift weights, do cardio, and eat 6 clean smaller meals during the day. I read that you say your diet is good, it wouldn't hurt to get this ebook to solidify your nutritional knowledge. Nutrition is very confusing (read the opposing viewpoints in may threads here as an example), so a good book helps. This ebook is called Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle by Tom Venutto. You can read more about it here:
http://www.burnthefatinnercircle.com/products/item5.cfm

Welcome and keep up the good work. I will check back to see your progress.

BigLadUK
02-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Cheers for the reply and the link. A mate of mine had that eBook and just sent it to me so reading through it now, pretty interesting at the minute. I'll give anything a go once (the nun said to the minister) so plan on trying these techniques. Thanks again. Keep telling myself I cannot fail, if I do, Im a dead man.

SteR-
02-12-2007, 04:45 AM
update please! :)

jc19861
02-12-2007, 04:46 PM
I used to be a little overweight also. I eliminated everything fried from my diet, stopped drinking soda, and started excercising. Within a month I noticed a significant difference. Once you start to eat healthier, you feel alot better. more energy, better moods, etc. Don't try to starve yourself though, it will slow down metabolism. Start small and work your way up. Do a little bit of walking everyday and gradually build up. Set slow goals at first or you will set yourself up for failure. There are supplements on this site that will aid in fat loss. if you chronically over eat, try hoodia. I had great results with that.