PDA

View Full Version : Super cool gadgets

Eye2_Man
02-26-2003, 12:18 PM
Calf raises are really hard due to the amount of weight needed. I was feeling crushed by the weight of barbell last night, although it was easy to extend the calf muscle (not enough weight). Squats are not quite as bad, but still the BB kind of crushes the upper body. A search was done to see if anything existed to help out.

This site has some cool stuff. Remember MagicMel and Phatman1179 discussing ways to get the DB's up into position for DB bench presses? Check these out:

http://1-workoutdelivery.com/Equipment_Power_Hooks.htm

I just ordered the Manta Ray Squat support deal.

Now to look for something to help do pullups until strength develops more.

MagicMel
02-26-2003, 12:42 PM
Hey Eye2,

Here's an idea that you can adapt to the Power Rack when you get it. For calf raises, set the bar up just lower than shoulder height and stand on the edge of a 2x6. Now you don't have to squat that full weight any more. It will be even more comfortable with the Manta Ray. You'll have to let me know how that works for you. I've been wanting to order one of those.

As far a lats, does the Power Rack you're getting have an optional lat extension? If so, maybe that's your next investment.

Hibiscus09
02-26-2003, 02:13 PM
I use those when I need to get my 200lb dumbbells in place for my bench presses.

MagicMel
02-26-2003, 03:08 PM
Hib,
I'm sure you meant to use the word "footrest" somewhere in your reply. :D

Hibiscus09
02-26-2003, 04:33 PM
Don't mess with me, Mel. We've already ascertained that you're cheating major on the pullups. Additionally, you're frustrated sexually right now due to a pregnancy & have been spending way too much time and energy with your wife's Victoria's Secret catalogs. I'm sure I'm better than you at the dumbbell bench presses just as I was in the pullup department. Just accept it. Don't be a hater.

Macattack
02-26-2003, 05:14 PM
LMAO whats going on with the 2 a ya?:)

i used the manta rey thingy and it kept hurting my kneck, finally we lost it, i like the DB holders i was just thinking about that the other day wondering if there was a contraption and there is, looks like you have to be under a bench though or something with a bar set up maybe squat cage?

and i like the sound of the grizzly grips need them for pullups that i dont do:}

MagicMel
02-26-2003, 05:17 PM
Ok, Hib

I know you said it with a big grin (:D), but if you use the word "hater", then you got to counter that with at lease 3 big grins.

My statement about "footrest" simply meant 200 lb dumbell footrests.

That was in reaction to you setting up 200 lb db's on those db hooks. I was just trying to visualize you and 200lb dbs and all I could see were those huge footrests.

Am I mizundastanding something here? If so, sorry.

Hibiscus09
02-26-2003, 05:19 PM
At my old gym they had benches with dumbbell holders on them. :) I'm only cutting up with little Mel boy.

Hibiscus09
02-26-2003, 05:21 PM
Sorry, Mel, when I'm giggling hysterically cutting up at my computer I guess it doesn't come across in the typing on the screen. I would have used more grins but I'm not smart enough to have figured out how to put them in the middle of my text -- that's why I always just use smileys or frownies. LOL

I really am just teasing -- does it look meaner in print? I knew what you meant about the 200lb dumbbells. I can only do 35lbs on an incline & I can't do a flat bench at all because of my shoulder. :) :) :)

GLAlexander
02-26-2003, 05:58 PM
Hibiscus

It is not hard to tell you have teenagers. I fell out of my chair when I saw "don't be a hater'. Now fess up, did you get that from the kids? ;)

Hibiscus09
02-26-2003, 06:17 PM
Of course! I talk & act just like them. I wear my daughter's clothes & she wears mine. It's all kind of scary. LOL

MagicMel
02-27-2003, 01:21 AM
So you guys can just call me Clueless.

Originally posted by Hibiscus09
...Don't be a hater
The oldest kid in the neighborhood that I play with just turned 12 and I have not heard her mention that phrase. Not even the 9 year old, who seems to be more teenaged versed has said that. I listen to mostly country and classic rock, so I have not heard in any lyrics.

I therefore took being called a "hater" very personally. Deep down inside I just knew it wasn't meant to sound demeaning, but I had no frame of reference to draw back on. Considering the "tone" of the preceeding text, I thought, 'maybe I really did insult Diane in some way'. Even though the message started with a big grin, it was "covered up" by the text and then punctuated by "Don't be a hater". I tried to reason with myself by writing that meager "mizundastood" reply, but I couldn't let it go. So I shutdown my system and just went home. But I stewed about it all the way home on the freeway. At some point I thought, maybe she was serious about those db hooks, but accidentally typed an extra "0". So instead of a serious 20lb db, it came out as a humorous 200lb db. Yeah, that's gotta be it, I really did insult her!

So I got on my computer at home just before dinner. I read that 200lbs was not a mistake, that it really was all in jest, but then I got called "little Mel boy". aaarrrggghhhh! I just closed Internet Explorer and let my son play with some Barney software.

We'll have some dinner, rest and watch "Bugs' Life" with my boy, give him a bath, then go to the gym. I'll come back home, take a shower, then back to bb.com while no one but maybe Belle is "listening".

I'm fine now. I've let go. I've learned something new about myself and I'm not going to do PH's just yet. Huh? Where'd that come from? I just thought how I might have taken all this while having a bunch load of testosterone flowing through. My reaction was probably in response to the moderately increased test levels due to 10x10 squats, Tribulus and ZMA.

Any way, really sorry for the rambling and my initial cluelessness.

It's midnight now. See ya'll in the A.M.

Hibiscus09
02-27-2003, 05:47 AM
Now I feel really bad. :( I was really, really just kidding. You're one of my favorite people to pick on here because I think you're funny. I promise to tone it down. I have 6 brothers, so there was constant picking -- but only in jest.

I almost sent you an apologetic PM last night to tell you I was only kidding because I was thinking "Uh oh. He might really be mad."

Me and my kids always pick on each other if one of us has something really good happen or gets something really good & it makes the rest of us jealous. We always giggle & say "don't be a hater!"

Looking back at my post I've decided to explain it line by line:

1) Don't mess with me, Mel.

Definitely a joke. :)

2) We've already ascertained that you're cheating major on the pullups.

We have been joking around about you doing pullups with your "you know whaty"?

3) Additionally, you're frustrated sexually right now due to a pregnancy & have been spending way too much time and energy with your wife's Victoria's Secret catalogs.

This was is reference to you saying my husband was looking at the Victoria's Secret catalogs more than I thought he was. (I knew you were cutting up) and how you were making the pages all messy from sweating, etc. Anyway, I was kidding about the sexually frustrated thing just because everyone jokes about not getting sex towards the end of pregnancy. However, even that was just a joke remark because me & my husband kept doing it! LOL

4) I'm sure I'm better than you at the dumbbell bench presses just as I was in the pullup department. Just accept it. Don't be a hater.

Well, we all know I'm not better than you at dumbbell bench presses or pullups & that I'm certainly not pressing 200 lb dumbbells! :) :) :)

Ummm, I've already explained "Don't be a hater."

Am I forgiven?

Gator
02-27-2003, 06:37 AM
Back pedal, back pedal..Just kidding !!!
Hib wouldnt hurt a flea...
Unless it was a "Gator"flea..LOL

Gator

Originally posted by Hibiscus09
Now I feel really bad. :( I was really, really just kidding. You're one of my favorite people to pick on here because I think you're funny. I promise to tone it down. I have 6 brothers, so there was constant picking -- but only in jest.

I almost sent you an apologetic PM last night to tell you I was only kidding because I was thinking "Uh oh. He might really be mad."

Me and my kids always pick on each other if one of us has something really good happen or gets something really good & it makes the rest of us jealous. We always giggle & say "don't be a hater!"

Looking back at my post I've decided to explain it line by line:

1) Don't mess with me, Mel.

Definitely a joke. :)

2) We've already ascertained that you're cheating major on the pullups.

We have been joking around about you doing pullups with your "you know whaty"?

3) Additionally, you're frustrated sexually right now due to a pregnancy & have been spending way too much time and energy with your wife's Victoria's Secret catalogs.

This was is reference to you saying my husband was looking at the Victoria's Secret catalogs more than I thought he was. (I knew you were cutting up) and how you were making the pages all messy from sweating, etc. Anyway, I was kidding about the sexually frustrated thing just because everyone jokes about not getting sex towards the end of pregnancy. However, even that was just a joke remark because me & my husband kept doing it! LOL

4) I'm sure I'm better than you at the dumbbell bench presses just as I was in the pullup department. Just accept it. Don't be a hater.

Well, we all know I'm not better than you at dumbbell bench presses or pullups & that I'm certainly not pressing 200 lb dumbbells! :) :) :)

Ummm, I've already explained "Don't be a hater."

Am I forgiven?

Phatman1179
02-27-2003, 07:57 AM
I Love to torment my son with his language and I purposely mess it up when his friends are around to embarrass him a little. I'll say
"I got the 911" instead of 411 or "Peace out, sucker" or tell his friends that I like M&M's music. It really drives him nuts.

Also when you are picking them up from school it's really fun to grab one of his CD's and roll the windows down (I have a jeep so this is really effective with the top off) and blast it while waiting for him to come out of school. Usually Nellie or limp "brisket"(biscuit) is enough to make him run for the volume knob. It's so much fun to make him squirm.

Hibiscus09
02-27-2003, 08:04 AM
LOL, Phatman! I love messing with my kids too. We have so many CDs in this house due to varying music tastes -- we definitely have Nelly, Limp Bizkit & Eminem! My daughter does her own CDs & she'll have one country song, then one rap. It's wonderful listening music while I'm driving. I like both, but have a hard time going back and forth like that.

MagicMel
02-27-2003, 08:52 AM
Hey Diane,

There's nothing to forgive because you did nothing wrong. :)

I broke apart each line of that post the same way you just did and came to the same conclusions. I just could not interpret, nor get over, that final statement.

So please, take it to heart, I'm the one who should apologize.

Don't tone it down.
Don't change.
Don't be a hater (to coin a phrase). haha. :D:D:D <- see, 3 big grins.

But most of all, just be your same sweet self. We all like you that way, and we want to keep it that way, too.

Sincerely,

Mel

Hibiscus09
02-27-2003, 08:59 AM
I'm glad you posted -- now I'll get a good leg workout. :) It's pretty dreary here today & the weather definitely brings me down when it's that way. Also, I'm PMSing & we all know what that does to the mood -- especially married men! LOL

I worked at a law firm for a while & had a bunch of nutzos at my old gym -- I was getting pretty tough. As soon as I quit working & changed gyms I reverted back to being a tender heart -- it doesn't take much to get me boo-hooing & I HATE hurting people's feelings. Anyway, glad your not pissed off at me. :) :) :)

Belle
02-27-2003, 08:42 PM
I therefore took being called a "hater" very personally. Deep down inside I just knew it wasn't meant to sound demeaning, but I had no frame of reference to draw back on. Considering the "tone" of the preceeding text, I thought, 'maybe I really did insult Diane in some way'. Even though the message started with a big grin, it was "covered up" by the text and then punctuated by "Don't be a hater". I tried to reason with myself by writing that meager "mizundastood" reply, but I couldn't let it go. So I shutdown my system and just went home. But I stewed about it all the way home on the freeway. At some point I thought, maybe she was serious about those db hooks, but accidentally typed an extra "0". So instead of a serious 20lb db, it came out as a humorous 200lb db. Yeah, that's gotta be it, I really did insult her!

Well I read it as if Diane was having a little tongue in cheek kind of fun myself, but I know what you mean here. It is very easy to read things different ways. The environment is not set up for seeing a persons facial expressions along with what they are saying so that is where it get's a little dodgy. I think emoticoms are a good idea really...

I am going to start using them a little more often. I tend to type LOL instead of doing a smilie, and really I should do the opposite and just use LOL when I literally laugh out loud.