PDA

View Full Version : when to take your glutamine

bob_alfisti
02-25-2003, 07:03 PM
i'm becoming confused after doing the search...when is the most appropriate time for you to take your glutamine???

- the directions in my bottle of glutamine says to NOT take it together with protein...so, when is it best to take them and how far apart?

- some ppl in the board do actually take em together

so, what gives? do need some advise from your experience!

Brother Phil
02-25-2003, 07:32 PM
It is my understanding that glutamine is most effective when taken before and after your workout, as this is the time when the supply in the muscles is most depleted. I'm not aware of it not being good to take with protein. I have read, however, that glutamine should not be taken with creatine. I can't give you the exact sientific reason except that one inhibits the absorption of the other. I believe I read it in one of Big Cat's articles.

Belle
02-25-2003, 08:54 PM
I take mine an hour before my workout with water. I then have my workout shake half an hour after that made with water...and it does work as effectively. I did three to four months without glutamine, and only started using it in the last month and so I can say here it has made a tremendous difference to how I feel after workouts. Glutamine is in cottage cheese and apparently that has protein, so I don't see why the mix would be bad?

edster951
02-26-2003, 12:05 AM
I take 15g pre workout with water

and 10g in water at bedtime.

Works very well for me like that for DOMS.

I take creatine and protein post workout...

Unfortunately I'm out of glutamine at the moment.

Gatorvrx
02-26-2003, 05:11 AM
I take mine before bed. I really don't have an explanation for this decision, it's just what I chose to do. No scientific data here, just preference.

bb5-0
02-26-2003, 06:39 AM
I have read a lot of posts and articles on glutamine. Here is what I found about it :

You can take it throughout the day :
X first thing in the morning
X between meals
X prior to intense exercise
X after training
X before bed

The dosage depends on several factors (body weight, stress, diet , ...)

15-25 g per day
Start with 10 gr (in 2 to 4 doses ) for one week
Then add 5g every week to 25-30 gr

X to avoid overtraining : 5-10 gr before/after workout + before bed
X high quantity (30gr) half an hour before workout stimulates the muscle

Apparently it doesnt need cycling like creatine and is better absorbed with some drink rich in carbs with high glycemic value (saccharose/dextrose)
I generally take some before/after workout and put it in my protein shake and it seems to work ok!

GLAlexander
02-26-2003, 10:27 AM
Good information,

I too had read that it shouldn't be taken with creatine. I also read that it was fine to take with creatine. After more research I ended up taking it after a weight workout and right before bed.