PDA

View Full Version : Muscle mags .. anyone read them ?

giantfan43
02-25-2003, 03:29 PM
I think I've seen this question somewhere so feel free to ignore me if you like ...

But I admit, I'm a magazine junky .. I read everything I can get my hands on .. used to be sports illustrated, espn mag, the old SPORT mag .. now its the muscle mags .. yea, I know that alot of it is sales pitches and juiced up guys sharing there workouts but to me, they are very motivational and a part of why I have become addicted to this sport in the past year ... my wife laughs at me for reading them although she understands .. my kids like to look at the pictures although my oldest son (14 .. who lives with his mother), tells me the guys in there are gross looking .. in most cases, I agree ...

I will admit that I read them all ... I used to like FLEX but that's just pictures now ... Still read it though .. muscle and fitness annoys me so I stopped with that one .. I like MuscleMag but too tied to muscletech .. Ironman can sometimes have a good article or two but sometimes the articles themselves are just ads too ! .. I picked up a copy of MuscleMedia yesterday at the airport and read that on the plane .. that wasn't bad ..

SO, I was just wondering if anyone else read them or do you all save your money for the supps !

MiloMan
02-25-2003, 04:11 PM
You might find this thread interesting:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84067&highlight=magazine

Eye2_Man
02-25-2003, 04:23 PM
No magazines or newspapers allowed in this house. Everything is digital.

edster951
02-26-2003, 12:18 AM
nope, full of crap.

get all the info I need here and on bb.com

Laurie
02-26-2003, 12:56 AM
When I first started "Women's Strength lifting" (college classes) six months ago, I did buy several but soon learned they all say about the same thing.....When not trying to sell you something. A few I still pick up if there are a few worthy articles. But not often.

But having a computer, means most of the better info can be found in sites like "Bodybuilding.com" or places like "Krista Smash".

bb5-0
02-26-2003, 06:53 AM
I used to read a lot of them as this was my main source of information on nutrition and exercises, but since I've had my internet connection, I tend to neglect them. From time to time I find some useful info or some new theory about training, but most of the magazines are now too much linked with supplements companies, or trying to make you believe you can be like the pros just by eating some proteins .
I think reading articles and posts on forums like bb.com is far more interesting as we can profit by the trials and mistakes of other people and exchange ideas on nutrition and techniques with average people like you and I. Some magazines however are trying to get more serious , but you can find all that and more on your computer- just do a little search !

Hibiscus09
02-26-2003, 07:48 AM
I like reading my husband's "Men's Health" magazine. It's kind of funny reading what men think women are thinking. :) I also like to read Jimmy the Barender's advice to all the dummies.

My husband, on the other hand, liked the recent swimsuit issue of Sports Illustrated (he prefers the women that have behinds to the totally thin) and occasionally likes to look at my Victoria's Secret catalogs. :)

MagicMel
02-26-2003, 08:25 AM
I tend to be a magazine junky when I first get into a new hobby, or if it's something that I haven't done in a long time and just want to see what's new. As far as muscle mags though, the ads are too overwhelming. Especially Muscle & Fitness. If an article is on page 15 and continued on page 63, it usually takes me a good couple of minutes flipping through all the ads, which have no page numbers, just to find page 63! Sheesh. Muscle Media is the only one I subscribe to now. And this site is where most of the training and diet tips come from.

Hib,
So your hubby only "occasionally" looks at your VS catalog? Yeah, right. My wife always know when I HAVEN'T looked at it because the pages are still stuck together and there aren't any sweaty fingerprints on the lingerie & undies pages.

phikappa
02-26-2003, 02:46 PM
I will occassionally read some mags, but most are just crapola (IMHO). When you have to say something new each month, you quickly run out of things to say. That's why mags often repeat themselves. I mean really, how much is there to say on the fitness topic? Eat well, excercise consistently, excercise vigorously and excercise briefly. That will cover 95% of it! Maybe I should go into the magazine business! I truely missed my calling.

One thing that they all do is have articles on your lagging bi's/tri's/shoulders/lats etc. Then they'll say to do 4 sets each of these 8 different exercises and voila!, your lagging muscle groups will be on par with the rest of your body. Whatever.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Macattack
02-26-2003, 04:21 PM
last mag i bought half the pages were advertisements i ripped them out and was left with a thin flimsy few pages of rubbish, JMO

wspe
02-26-2003, 04:35 PM
bb.com....
PL USA

back2it
02-26-2003, 04:48 PM
It's the same stuff I was reading 20 years ago just with more glitz and of course "the latest scientific study" . Very few of the mags have anything useful they seem more intersted in signing the next advertizing contract by promoting some supplement than they do in providing real info . I bought 1 mag since nov 02 because it has a "feature" article in it that turned out to be an add . I'll glance it over before I pay for it next time .

GLAlexander
02-26-2003, 05:02 PM
A couple of web sites that have a lot of information.

www.cyberpump.com (informal home of HIT, but lot's of interesting stuff there)

www.hardgainer.com (Hardgainer round table is a good forum, but it is very technical in nature.) At least I think it is technical since I can't explain anything they are talking about.

Viola
02-26-2003, 05:44 PM
In the beginning I bought different ones. Then I realized I was either ready the same things or large contradictions. I realized that for me it was a waste of money.

Viola

MiloMan
02-26-2003, 08:47 PM
Actually, MILO is a really good magazine (but it's a PL/Strongman mag, not a BB mag).

giantfan43
02-27-2003, 05:58 AM
Interesting hearing everyones view .. I don't discount the fact that they are crap .. believe me .. but, I am a mag junky .. always been that way .. back about 20 years ago or so, I was into golf big time .. used to read every magazine on the rack every month .. even though they said the same thing over and over .. so, I admit, I waste my money and I agree, much better info found on the web ..

Minotaur
02-27-2003, 08:59 AM
I used to read a few of them, especially M&F, Exercise for Men Only, and Men's Health.

In the beginning I was really naive about the use of steroids by the IFBB pros. I swore up and down that they were natural (well, then what did someone look like who used?). :confused:

But the problem is that the magazine articles get repetitive. After about a year, the cycle of articles starts again. I'd think to myself, "hey, didn't I read about this before!?" Not to mention all the supplement advertisements.

Now the only time I pick up one of the magazines is if it looks like there is something spectacularly interesting in it.

sledgehammer956
02-27-2003, 03:41 PM
I just received a years subscription to "Men's Health" from my niece. I actually think it's a pretty good mag and my 70 year old father actually started lifting weights at my home gym after reading some of the articles. He even posted some of the workout charts up on my walls for him to follow.

Ricky
03-25-2003, 10:13 AM
I read those magazines at Barnes and Noble. Most are pretty misleading.

I have an article I'd like to post from an old Musclemag when I get home. It was actually pretty interesting.

But I agree how many times can you rehash ways to train different body parts.

Most of the programs require way too many sets anyways.

Cyberpump was cool until they started charging.

Lou3
03-30-2003, 07:28 AM
I bought some magazines when I first got into bodybuilding, but after the first four or five issues I felt like I'd seen it all. Even when they bring out the latest sure-fire training approach from some eastern European country or wherever, it's the same hype -- usually connected to a supplement they're pushing -- followed by the same fizzle.

When I need information, I go to my bodybuilding encyclopedia or bodybuilding.com. They always have several approaches for me to try, and they're already paid for.

maxallen
03-30-2003, 11:25 AM
I like the articles in Men's Health and Men's Fitness. The rest of them are only good for motivational pictures . I mean how many times do you really need to read an article about how to do a biceps workout, complete with a "start position" and "end position" picture of how to do a concentration curl? It's all about bodybuilders getting themselves some publicity and pictures in print (plus, of course, those supplement ads).

MiloMan
03-30-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Lou3
Even when they bring out the latest sure-fire training approach from some eastern European country or wherever, it's the same hype -- usually connected to a supplement they're pushing -- followed by the same fizzle.
Haha, that's exactly right! Give it a foreign flavor, and the suckers will line up at your door.

No one cared about lifting big teapots, until they renamed them "kettlebells" and (falsely) claimed that they were used in Russian Military Training. I sometimes work with a man who was in the Soviet army for 14 years (then emigrated here after the Sovs crumbled), and he had never heard of "kettlebells".

That reminds me of the anecdote about Schwarzenegger and Franco Columbu's bricklaying business ("Pumping Bricks") in Santa Monica (back in theor early days in the USA). Competition was fierce, but they hit upon the idea of exploiting their immigration, subtitling their business with a title something like "Pumping Bricks - Traditional European Bricklayers" - and raising their prices. As a result, a lot of people somehow assumed that they were better than the cheap, American bricklayers, and flocked to this hot, new Euro firm.

Many people will run like sheep, cash in hand, after anything that promises to be better/easier than hard work and eating right. That's why all these diet books sell millions of copies. Common sense tells a person "Eat fewer alories than you burn and be active to lose fat", but nooooo, that's not complicated enough! A diet can't possibly work if it doesn't mandate hair-splitting micromanagement of this and that down to the microgram!

WarriorPoet
04-01-2003, 05:13 AM
Maybe once in a while for comic relief.

BOLDERNECK
03-01-2008, 06:51 PM
as long as i have this needle in my ass i will look like those guys.....im like you...motivation

eddied27
03-01-2008, 06:53 PM
as long as i have this needle in my ass i will look like those guys.....im like you...motivation

Second multi-year bump I've come across today! Love these!

Nice! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/huepfen/jumping-smiley-013.gif

gympunk
03-01-2008, 06:56 PM
FLEX: Those guys are always so ripped & huge I figure either : A) I really wouldn't want to look like that or B) I'll never take all the chemicals they will to get that big...Then some of the other "workout" type mags seem like they're targeting the gay market...

Reality_Check
03-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Everything I consider worth knowing about body building can be written down in about 3 pages (maybe several more). I am therefor eternally amazed by the ability of magaznes to turn out hundreds of new pages on body building week after week, year after year.

In order to make several pages worth of information stretch to cover several thousand, I think you would need to use a lot of filler and also invent BS just to have something new to say but mainly just find different ways of dressing up old information as new information, and indeed thats what I see magazines and for that matter articles on this site doing (its also why I don't mind OT posts - otherwise the endless train of questions that have already been covered several times over might send me bonkers, if I'm not already).

TechLady
03-01-2008, 08:16 PM
Muscle Media 2000 ftw
http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/1690/musclena2.png (http://imageshack.us)
otherwise an occasional M&F read here n' there, but mostly internet browsing these days

createenjock
03-02-2008, 11:13 AM
My gf thinks muscles mags "are gay"!! Muscle & Fitness is OK. the internet is better.

SYNBAD
03-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Long answer:
I use to buy these back in the day and would worship what I read. My friend and I would do the w/o the pro's posted and finally after a few years of killing ourselves all the roid info started hitting the news and the freaks started to get bigger and we realized theres no way we will put that crap in our bodies. So I quit buying them and started researching natural BB to find the safe ways to get big.

Short answer: no

chodan9
03-02-2008, 05:12 PM
I get one every half year or so if they hav e a good interview.
Good bathroom reading material.
as far as using any information I get from em, no, this site seems to have the most information I can find in one place.

thor93
03-02-2008, 11:26 PM
i used to...BIGTIME!!....Now,...only around once a month i'll go into target or borders bookstore and check out what's new with musclemag,flex,and muscle&fitness.usually will read a few pages and basically skim through the rest.i'll spend around 15 minutes,give or take a few.
I used to subscribe to muscle&fitness.I used to buy flex and musclemags every other month.I'd read for hours at a time with all of that,back in the day.
Now,...heh heh heh...I just go on here.

tpreitzel
03-02-2008, 11:43 PM
No magazines or newspapers allowed in this house. Everything is digital.

Reserve paper products for the bathroom. I'm still waiting for a comfortable and flexible mechanism for reading books digitally. Yeah, Amazon has been prototyping a device (Kindle) with its customers as guinea pigs, but a less cumbersome, more flexible device for reading digital books is needed. The use of nano technology will probably be required.

greyhair
03-03-2008, 06:24 AM
I used to read a few of them, especially M&F, Exercise for Men Only, and Men's Health.

In the beginning I was really naive about the use of steroids by the IFBB pros. I swore up and down that they were natural (well, then what did someone look like who used?). :confused:

But the problem is that the magazine articles get repetitive. After about a year, the cycle of articles starts again. I'd think to myself, "hey, didn't I read about this before!?" Not to mention all the supplement advertisements.

X2.
The purpose of the mags are to sell whats in the advertising.
I haven't bought one for at least 15 years.
The got boring and were completely unrealistic.
I stayed with MD for a while since it had a very good kinesiology section.

ArchAngel'73
03-03-2008, 06:59 AM
Second multi-year bump I've come across today! Love these!

Nice! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/huepfen/jumping-smiley-013.gif

Me too!:D

Why not reply though?
IMO, MD and Musclemag are the ONLY publications worth the paper they are printed on.
Flex and M&F absolutely worthless. Get a subscription for 1 year and you've read all the articles for the last 40, same rehashed stuff and lies.
I won't even start on mags like Men's Health. :rolleyes:

Minotaur
03-03-2008, 08:03 AM
Then some of the other "workout" type mags seem like they're targeting the gay market...

They are. Exercise for Men (used to be Exercise for Men Only) for years had subtly homoerotic photos of models. I mean, what straight man in a workout magazine targeting straight men really goes around with Daisy Dukes with the top button undone and the zipper coyly pulled slightly down? :rolleyes: Not that I am complaining, just sayin'... :D But they've since degayed it somewhat and tittified it.

Arlecchino
03-03-2008, 08:35 AM
I do not see how anyone can get past the hype to glean anything of value from the mainstream muscle mags.

I have some back issues of Iron Man and Strength and Health that in less than 1/4 of the pages pack far more training info than mags today.

bulldog71
03-04-2008, 05:59 AM
Men's Health is the only one I read! I was given a sub to it and it's great if you're not using it to learn how to get big or anything other than wanting to live a healthier lifestyle. There are good articles, well written and articulate, and packed with info. Like I said, it great for lifestyle. I used to talk trash about it, but it really has more substance than the other meathead mags! It's what would happen if Maxim actually took itself seriously! lol It's also a great source to find new forms of cardio that are fun, and they encourage their readers to just get outside and do something! They have great food ideas every month, too.

arftech
03-04-2008, 07:55 AM
I think I've seen this question somewhere so feel free to ignore me if you like ...

But I admit, I'm a magazine junky .. I read everything I can get my hands on .. used to be sports illustrated, espn mag, the old SPORT mag .. now its the muscle mags .. yea, I know that alot of it is sales pitches and juiced up guys sharing there workouts but to me, they are very motivational and a part of why I have become addicted to this sport in the past year ... my wife laughs at me for reading them although she understands .. my kids like to look at the pictures although my oldest son (14 .. who lives with his mother), tells me the guys in there are gross looking .. in most cases, I agree ...

I will admit that I read them all ... I used to like FLEX but that's just pictures now ... Still read it though .. muscle and fitness annoys me so I stopped with that one .. I like MuscleMag but too tied to muscletech .. Ironman can sometimes have a good article or two but sometimes the articles themselves are just ads too ! .. I picked up a copy of MuscleMedia yesterday at the airport and read that on the plane .. that wasn't bad ..

SO, I was just wondering if anyone else read them or do you all save your money for the supps !

Yep, I'll read a magazine or two while taking a crap! Gotta occupy my time in the shyte house some kind of way!

Out,

Al

HoosierHardGain
03-04-2008, 12:13 PM
I started out with Mags, like Flex and M&D. But to be honest, they confused the hell out of me, and I really started thinking why should a novice try and train like Mr. O?

Now I only get my info from the net, and save the $4 cover price :)

NPC_Jim
03-04-2008, 04:40 PM
traded the mag dollars for sporty car ... ya know 40 mid life crisis mode!

Now to just get rid of the fpucking things! Were are the paper drives when you need them.

dmangiarelli
03-04-2008, 04:45 PM
I read MD and that's about it. They have some pretty good articles for training that I have used. You just have to thumb past all the dayum ads ...

Bando
03-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Reserve paper products for the bathroom.

Thats where I keep my issues of Muscle Mag and M&F.

tabdus
03-11-2008, 06:55 PM
i read m&f and ironman. i believe ironman is the best training mag out there. plus they are digital.

backer
03-11-2008, 11:14 PM
70s body building mag,top articals,
Get strong like Arnold
Get big like Lou
Francos big biceps routine
Why arnt I bigger

80s
Get big like Mike
Get strong like Tom
Riches big Biceps routine
Why arn't I strong Like Lee

90s
Get big like Dorian
Get strong like Kevin
Flexes big bicep routine
Why arn't I Big like Nasser

Today
Get big like Ronnie
Get strong like Jay
Phils big bicep routine
Why have we been buying the same arm routine for 50 years?
Larry Scott did pretty much the same arm exercises as Jay Cutler,the human arm has not changed much in 50 years,If anything has changed its the drugs and that is the one thing they dont talk about.Yet we still buy them.And people think we are dumb?Hmmmmm.

CanadianMoose
03-12-2008, 12:22 AM
I collected MM international,was a faithfull reader for years.
However being young and dumb,i kept aspiring to look like Lee Haney or Yates,only to realize that unless i won a lottery to be able to afford all the gear they were on i was never going to look like them.
The mags helped motivate me,however they can give you false hopes as the bodies you see are very much all but impossible to attain.