PDA

View Full Version : Body symmetry

Sasha4
02-25-2003, 03:53 AM
Hi,

I have been noticing that one side of my body seems to develop faster than the other. I am right handed, but the left side of my body (biceps, calf etc) seem quicker to respond to exercise. It is not a huge difference, but I can notice it. Is this normal? Should I try to change the way I am working out?

Belle
02-25-2003, 04:20 AM
well unless the size was visibly noticeable I would not try to over compensate on either side and in fact being right handed you cannot anyway. Your right side is probably most used and therefore the muscles on that side get more over worked than the left. The left side get's more rest then than the right side typically if your right handed etc. So it will be thicker by 1/2 cm or so using a tape measure I note that that is the case here. I don't worry about it to be honest and wouldn;t unless as I said, one side looks abnormally larger. Otherwise it is just a measurement really and the only person who knows about it is yourself.

Belle
02-25-2003, 04:21 AM
Which rather proves that more rest = more growth. :) hence the reason why I do my weights late in the evening. Straight into sleep and growth mode. ;)

Dutchman
02-25-2003, 05:21 AM
Belle,
your simple statement "rest = growth" is, in my mind, the most important and most overlooked ingredient for progress. This is especially true for us as we age. Eating like a horse and training 2 1/2 hours a day for four days a week back in my forties was pure overtraining. Working out for an hour, five times a week in my fifties brought me some growth. Now however, lifting only four times a week, on/off, on/off and on/on/off has given my body time to recuperate and go really hard when I do train. It has been a major component of the sixty pounds I've gained in the last two years. A second aspect of rest is the heavier the weights I train with = the more stress I put on my creaky old joints hence the greater the need for R&R. Just an old fart's opinion FWIW!

Hibiscus09
02-25-2003, 06:07 AM
Stephanie,

My left side is weaker than the right -- I haven't noticed size differences but it was suggested to me by a trainer to do isolation exercises to help strengthen the left side. I do this occasionally -- but usually just to mix things up. It may help you if you're noticing a size difference to do isolation exercises for the smaller side.

Gollum
02-25-2003, 06:32 AM
Sasha,

I'm the same way.My left side is better than my right,particularly my biceps.I guess thats why I always contract my left arm when someone says "Make a muscle" :D

If it's any consolation,a famous example of this is Arnold himself whose right bicep is extremely more peaked than his left.

I wouldnt worry about it too much.As Hib said,just do enough isolation movements so each side gets worked and your strong side isnt stealing all the training from the weaker side.

(And always remember which arm to flex :D :D :D )

Sasha4
02-25-2003, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the advice guys...at least I don't think I'm some kind of mutant anymore...LOL.

MiloMan
02-25-2003, 09:54 AM
Remember, those fitness model guys and girls that do catalog shoots, infomercials, body double work, and whatnot are chosen for the job because, in addition to being lean, muscular, and not extremely large ("cabana fantasy boy", rather than "pro bodybuilder"), they have unusually good genetic predisposition to symmetry and proportion. Make-up artists apply cosmetics to their bodies, and lighting directors get the lighting and shadows just perfect. Many of those photos are also digitally enhanced to make them look even better than they really look.