PDA

View Full Version : Preference questions

Eye2_Man
02-24-2003, 08:04 PM
Just out of curiosity...

1) On squat and deadlift days, do you like to do those exercises first so you have the most power? Or last so you have some strength to do all your other exercises?

2) Suppose you want to do a little cardio after weight training. Do you drink your post-workout shake in between weights and cardio? Or wait until you are done with both?

GLAlexander
02-24-2003, 08:15 PM
Eye 2

For what it's worth I do my deadlifts the first exercise after my warmup. I find it gets me off to a good mental start on my workout. Once I nail my reps of my heaviest exercise I know everything else will fall in place.

giantfan43
02-24-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Eye2_Man
Just out of curiosity...

1) On squat and deadlift days, do you like to do those exercises first so you have the most power? Or last so you have some strength to do all your other exercises?

2) Suppose you want to do a little cardio after weight training. Do you drink your post-workout shake in between weights and cardio? Or wait until you are done with both?
Hi Eye2 -

1) On leg day, I always start with 2 sets of 15 - 20 reps of leg extenstions ... low weights .. then move onto squats .. On back day, I do BB rows before moving to deadlifts .. I always like to do some type of exercise before moving onto the big compound lifts.

2) I do cardio 2 or 3 times a week immediately after weights .. I then go home and take my shake ..

Hope this helps

GF

GLAlexander
02-24-2003, 08:17 PM
Eye 2

For the second part of the question. On those days I do both cardio and weights I drink my workout shake right after weights. I give myself about 5-10 minutes after weights before going into my HIIT cardio. This gives me ample time to drink my shake and get focused on the cardio part.

Gollum
02-24-2003, 09:31 PM
I like to do the big,compound movement first in the rountine as I like to use the heaviest weight possible.

If I did cardio,I could answer that second question...lol!

When I start doing cardio in April during the dreaded cutting up thing,I would most likely do the cardio after the weight training and then have the shake.

Phatman1179
02-25-2003, 06:15 AM
Hi Eye,

I like to do Squats first, after streaching of course. I agree that big compound movemetns really sap the energy reserves and go first in my workouts.

I wait until I am completley finished with cardio before I down the shake. My thinking is if I drink it before hand then my body will burn it off for energy before going after my fat. If I drink it after then it will be used to restore and build, just like we want. Just my own thoughts, I may be wrong here :)

Gollum
02-25-2003, 06:27 AM
I don't think you're wrong,Phatman.I think you hit the nail on the head there.

WarriorPoet
02-25-2003, 07:21 AM
As far as deads are concerned if you do them to the intensity that I feel they should be done you will not be able to do anythnng else so always last with deads.

Charger
02-25-2003, 06:26 PM
I do compound exercises first after a brief warm up. Not enough energy if I do them last.
I don't do cardio on the same days I lift, so i alway drink mine right after, either way.

Hibiscus09
02-25-2003, 08:40 PM
I don't do deadlifts (except for straight leg for hamstrings). I haven't done squats lately but when I did heavier squats, I would warm up on extensions & then go straight for squats. I needed fresh energy for those. :) I would get totally nauseated if I tried to drink a shake between weights & cardio. I try to do those mostly on separate days but if I have to run them together, I would wait until after because I feel like the shake would hinder fat burning if I had it right before cardio. I want my glycogen levels low for that. If you're more concerned with mass, it may be different. I don't know I'm just a little girl & want to stay that way. LOL