PDA

View Full Version : Question about other activities

tracyb555
02-24-2003, 04:07 PM
Had a really good Back/Biceps/Abs workout this morning, then went home and started moving more boxes and furniture around. Just taking a short break from all of the moving stuff which never seems to end!

As I was moving heavy book boxes, bookshelves, etc., I started thinking that normally, my work-life is pretty sedentary. Now that I'm spending a great deal of time each day doing more strenuous physical activity, I was wondering how this will affect my workouts. For those of you whose jobs involve a lot of physical labor, do you adjust your workouts in any way to avoid overtraining? Or does the additional physical activity from your job just enhance your program?

TwoWalks
02-24-2003, 05:00 PM
Tracy, I have not found that the physical work that I do has any effect like over training. Then I seldom use the same muscle groups too the same extent as with a workout. If I do my workout late in the day, it has an effect on the energy level but no bad effects if I do the workouts first and then my work.

MagicMel
02-24-2003, 05:01 PM
Lifting weights has actually deteriorated my performance at work.
I am constantly having to replace my keyboard and mouse due to the heavy handed pounding of the keys, and the vice-like crush of the mouse. jk! :)
Now if I were a UPS delivery guy.........

Belle
02-24-2003, 09:04 PM
it's like different levels of fitness, we each get used to the level of activity that we do in the day. Your level of fitness will change to match what you do so that you can cope. So you maybe generally fitter and stronger anyway, but to grow muscle you need to do lifting on top of that again and lift weights that are beyond what you would do in every day working. My husband can lug some weight around and he is on his feet all day, so I think he has got used to doing that. However, to get any bigger than he is he'd have to workout to weights that challenge him beyond his current ability, and then he'd have to eat lot's more protein than he does. He isn't a big protein eater and I think that is why he is very lean.

tracyb555
02-25-2003, 10:48 AM
Belle - What you are saying makes a lot of sense. Last time I moved, I was in awful shape and hauling boxes around really made my lower back sore. This time, it seems less strenuous (at least physically, mentally, it's much more stressful!)

phikappa
02-25-2003, 11:46 AM
One word.....JACUZZI.

TwoWalks
02-25-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by phikappa
One word.....JACUZZI.

Jacuzzi - Sauna - massage ... Now there is heaven on earth:D

tracyb555
02-25-2003, 11:58 AM
Good idea! I'm heading to the gym - saving the basement for later this afternoon. I'll have to hit the hot tub and/or sauna before I come home. Have a good day all!

Hibiscus09
02-25-2003, 02:56 PM
That made me want to go sit in my jacuzzi for a while -- I think I will. :)

tracyb555
02-25-2003, 03:22 PM
Not a glass bottomed jacuzzi above a bar, I trust???

Hibiscus09
02-25-2003, 04:00 PM
No -- LOL. Boy, that felt good. I only get in that thing about once every 6 months & that was just what the doctor ordered. Thanks for mentioning jacuzzi. :) I resisted the urge to take a glass of wine up there with me.

Eye2_Man
02-25-2003, 05:30 PM
Good question. Everything is iced over here in Dallas. My truck wouldn't make it up the driveway. Had to get out and bust up a 2" layer of ice with a shovel. But that's cool. Another 100 or so calories burned.

Hibiscus09
02-25-2003, 05:33 PM
When I'm gardening pretty heavily in the spring, sometimes I consider that my workout. We have clay soil & I have to go at it with a pick to get the soil broken up before I can even think of shoveling. :)

Belle
02-25-2003, 05:34 PM
I love em!

Radium and Priest Hot Springs
The Radium and Priest Hot Springs are famous for the relief of aches and pains, arthritis, rheumatism and travel weariness.

They are acidic springs which bubble up from the pumice.

The temperatures of these eight pools vary from 33C to 43C (90F to 110F), and cannot be regulated.

tracyb555
02-25-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Belle
I love em!

Radium and Priest Hot Springs
The Radium and Priest Hot Springs are famous for the relief of aches and pains, arthritis, rheumatism and travel weariness.

They are acidic springs which bubble up from the pumice.

The temperatures of these eight pools vary from 33C to 43C (90F to 110F), and cannot be regulated.

Now that sounds like something I would like!

ctgblue
02-25-2003, 05:49 PM
You ladies and your jacuzzis are just not right.
I have a nice big Garden tub in the master bath and I am too damn big for it
Ice likes it, she disappeared in there for like 2 hours last weekend
But I can't fit and it pisses me off. :mad:

Belle
02-25-2003, 06:43 PM
The first day we visited those pools, I dipped my toe into the hottest pool not realising that some of them are much cooler and I decided not to bother that day...hehe... It was HOT! What I didn't realize was that your supposed to get in the coolest first for a while and then move to the next one up as you get acclimatized to the heat you gradually work your way to the hottest pool.

A few days later we went to visit the Champagne Pool and I was about to dip my finger in there (nt knowing what the temp was) and my Sted Dad shouts after me, "Er I would NOT do that!"

LOL! Dip finger in...bring finger out skinless LOL!!!!

Belle
02-25-2003, 06:44 PM
Champagne pool...

Belle
02-25-2003, 06:45 PM
Champagne pool again...fancy a dip?

back2it
02-25-2003, 07:03 PM
Tracy I work as a diesel mechanic and some of the things we work on are pretty heavy . We have equipment to help but sometimes it is a bit of a workout just doing my job . What I have found is not that the workouts are affected by the job but that the jobs hays gotten easier physically since the workouts started . Other than a day or 2 after leg day , that's rough sometimes like today .
We will be putting in some overtime soon I plan to keep it down to only a couple of hours a day but I fear that won't always be possible . I will alter my workouts a little maybe put one day into the weekend instead of Monday or something like that if I need to . I am hoping that I can maintain the energy level that I have right now but who knows ? I may have to drop the intensity a little during the overtime period . Unfortunately I still have to work and can't be going in tired everyday .

tracyb555
02-25-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by back2it
I am hoping that I can maintain the energy level that I have right now but who knows ? I may have to drop the intensity a little during the overtime period . Unfortunately I still have to work and can't be going in tired everyday .

Work is always getting in the way of a good workout :)

back2it
02-25-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by tracyb555
Work is always getting in the way of a good workout :)

It's just not right is it ?

Hibiscus09
02-25-2003, 08:31 PM
CTG Blue & IceQueen -- okay not to step on your toes or anything but -- the voice of experience is speaking -- both of you CAN fit in that tub. Be creative. You can do it.

ctgblue
02-26-2003, 05:02 AM
Sounds like a challenge
I'll bet I can be UP for that one :D:D:D

Gator
02-26-2003, 06:00 AM
Dont knock it til u try it Trace..LOL
I was soothed..LOL LOL

Gator

Not a glass bottomed jacuzzi above a bar, I trust???

tracyb555
02-26-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Gator
Dont knock it til u try it Trace..LOL
I was soothed..LOL LOL

Gator

Soothed from being in the tub? Or standing below it ? LOL!!

tracyb555
02-26-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Hibiscus09
CTG Blue & IceQueen -- okay not to step on your toes or anything but -- the voice of experience is speaking -- both of you CAN fit in that tub. Be creative. You can do it.

I have an oversized jacuzzi tub in our master bath at home. Now THAT was an ingenious invention!

Hibiscus09
02-26-2003, 09:58 AM
I know what you mean Ice -- that soak I did yesterday was the first in a long time. It felt wonderful! :) I was recuperating from a conference with teachers! LOL

Gator
02-26-2003, 11:41 AM
Ummmm, both ?? LOL
Hell it was Hedonism !!!..LOL

Gator

Soothed from being in the tub? Or standing below it ? LOL!!