PDA

View Full Version : New guy on the block-Please help

jgarcea
02-24-2003, 09:12 AM
I'm a 38 year old male 5-10 190 lbs that has never worked out before although I do play alot of sports. I'm not overly fat but could stand to lose about 15 lbs (all in the abdominal area-"the dreaded spare tire syndrome"). I'm looking to get into the "muscle building" routine and require alot of help on the subject ie what to eat, how many times a day should I eat, what supplements should I take, how much should I work out, what's a good startup routine? I don't know any of the "buzzwords" so you might have to spell it out for me in laymans terms.

I cannot eat dairy products because I'm lactose intolerant. I heard alot of good things about whey protein but I also heard it's made from milk by-products so I don't think I can take it. Is this true?

iluvlifting2001
02-24-2003, 09:56 AM
Well, first of all, Welcome! If I were you I would start using the search function and look what has been written of these subject. Each one of you subjects in general would be a pretty lengthy answer.

Anyways, good luck and you have come to the right place for all your answers.

Eye2_Man
02-24-2003, 10:08 AM
Howdy and welcome aboard.

I didn't know where to begin either 7 weeks ago. Find a book called "Winning Bodybuilding" by Franco Columbu. There's beginner, intermediate, advanced, and power-lifting routines in it. He even breaks it up according to how many days a week you can workout. Plus there's nutritional information and diet plans.

The book seems pretty good because it emphasizes the basics. Nothing fancy introduced.

MagicMel recommended 6 weeks of general full-body routines for the first six weeks. This was pretty much what Franco said. Basic exercises with 3 sets each for 8-12 reps. It gets your body accoustomed to the new stress. After six weeks, you'll have learned so much you can make up your own routines. After you get that, message Sychokid to critique your plan. He'll tweak it for you based on your goals.

MagicMel
02-24-2003, 10:53 AM
Welcome to the "Oldie" forum, jgarcea.

Just like Eye2 said, I recommend a 4-6 week conditioning period. You should be focusing on "perfect form" in all your excercises. Choose a weight that you can COMFORTABLY do for 10-15 reps (short for repetitions), without straining.

If you belong to a gym, you might seek the help of a trainer to show you good form on each excercise.

Starting supplements: a good Multi-Vitamin with minerals, Whey Protein.

I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey. The label reads "Minimal Lactose". I don't know if that means anything to lactose intolerant people, but maybe take some Lactaid or something like that if it is a problem?

The amount of protein required for mass building is 1.5-2.0 grams of protein per lb of LBM (Lean Body Mass), which for the average person, usually equates to 1-1.5g per lb of actual bodyweight.
Eat 5-6 small CLEAN balanced meals. I won't go into the carb/protein/fat calculations just yet, as that "science" can easily scare any beginner away from "dieting".

Good Luck in your quest for the better body! :)

tracyb555
02-24-2003, 11:48 AM
Hello & welcome!

Here are a few good places for information.

http://www.femal************/nutrition/fat_loss.html
(excerpt)

There are so many opinions about how to lose body fat that many people end up completely confused and they don't do ANYTHING!

They've read about 27 ways to diet, 34 ways to do cardio, 101 ways to lift weights and 79 supplements to take. But they still don't have a clue how to start.

You stuff your brain with so much information it feels like it's going to explode, but then you never do anything about it. You're like a deer stuck in headlights. Sound familiar?

I call this the "paralysis by analysis" syndrome.

The most important thing you can do is take action. Just begin the journey and figure it out as you go. Better still; get a coach or trainer right from the start.

http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html
http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/index.jsp

I know that sometimes the amount of info available can be overwhelming, so start with learning the basics for weight lifting (correct form, working all of the different muscle groups, etc) and sensible nutrition before you start worrying about supplements, carb/protein/fat ratios, etc.

TwoWalks
02-24-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by jgarcea
I cannot eat dairy products because I'm lactose intolerant. I heard alot of good things about whey protein but I also heard it's made from milk by-products so I don't think I can take it. Is this true?

Welcome to the old folks hide away:) The above posts have just about summed it up. Next recommendation do a review of past threads for beginning ... there are a large number of them.

Start slow and light as stated ... focus on muscle control and form.

Now about the Whey Protien ... Lactos intolerante ... Use Soy Protien and eat Tuna, Lots of Tuna:) Take a high potency Vitamin Mineral ... 1000 - 3000 mg of vitamin C. I also add one 85mg aspirin each day. Other than those I would not worry too much about suppliments for awhile.

As far as the diet :) you will burn off 15#'s from the extra calories consumed by working out and cardio. Clean up your diet mostly ... eliminate saturated fats and processed sugar. NO COKE:) and you are on your way. In 3 months you will be ready to refine your diet and workouts for goals that you will set. Goal number 1. Learn the exercises ... develop a workout habit ... strengthen tendons and ligaments.

For things like crunches ... squats ... lunges ... back extensions and some other exercises that will be recommended ... start without weights!

Phatman1179
02-24-2003, 01:08 PM
Here are a couple of helpfull links, welcome to the forum!

http://t-mag.com/html/body_130dawg.html
http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/faq.jsp