PDA

View Full Version : Post Workout Shake Questions??

kleraudio
01-08-2007, 04:10 AM
Hey guys,

Ive been having a hard time putting on some mass lately and I really believe its due to my post workout nutrition. Ive been doing a lot of reading lately and it seems people are advocating having some simple sugars (dex/malto,etc..) to raise glycogen levels shortly after lifting.

My usual shake after workouts is a creatine shake on my ride home (I use Universal Storm) and when i get home, its 2 scoops Optimum Nutrition Whey, with a banana and a dab of peanut butter. Is this a good shake or can it be optimized somehow?

I have been staying away from sugar for a long time but I now realize that maybe i should add it in after workouts.

Ive read the sticky in this forum for post workout nutrition, I would just like some real world examples of what you guys do post workout.

Short of buying a bag of dex, and cutting up some oats to mix with my protein shake, does anyone have any easier shakes that they use?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jim

MisterBrian06
01-08-2007, 05:58 AM
its safer not to use peanutbutter because the fat in them can slow down your ingestion for PWO... please correct me if i'm wrong though..and if i am THANK GOD so i can use my peanutbutters again PWO :)

djansen
01-08-2007, 07:41 AM
gatorade powder, or mix that rice cereal for babys in your pwo shake. smarties are dextrose too.

naturalguy
01-08-2007, 07:47 AM
You should consider using waxy maize starch as your post workout carb source with your whey, creatine, etc. leave out the fat from the shake and follow up with a whole food meal shortly there after.

MisterBrian06
01-08-2007, 08:06 AM
Bananas work really well with fruity protien powders =)

kleraudio
01-09-2007, 05:51 PM
natural guy, what is waxy maize starch?? never heard of it.

Thanks for the input everyone, anyone have any other favorite PWO shakes that I could try.

thanks in advance

Jim

kleraudio
01-09-2007, 06:07 PM
hey would a shake like cytosport cyto gainer, provide all the things i need, I see one serving has 620 some odd cals, 80 carbs and 55 proteins.

is a weight gainer shake a good Post Workout option??

Thanks

Jim

djansen
01-09-2007, 09:41 PM
hey would a shake like cytosport cyto gainer, provide all the things i need, I see one serving has 620 some odd cals, 80 carbs and 55 proteins.

is a weight gainer shake a good Post Workout option??

Thanks

Jim

that would work, and i just tried waxy maize starch and i love it.

randomality
01-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Hey guys,

Ive been having a hard time putting on some mass lately and I really believe its due to my post workout nutrition. Ive been doing a lot of reading lately and it seems people are advocating having some simple sugars (dex/malto,etc..) to raise glycogen levels shortly after lifting.

My usual shake after workouts is a creatine shake on my ride home (I use Universal Storm) and when i get home, its 2 scoops Optimum Nutrition Whey, with a banana and a dab of peanut butter. Is this a good shake or can it be optimized somehow?

I have been staying away from sugar for a long time but I now realize that maybe i should add it in after workouts.

Ive read the sticky in this forum for post workout nutrition, I would just like some real world examples of what you guys do post workout.

Short of buying a bag of dex, and cutting up some oats to mix with my protein shake, does anyone have any easier shakes that they use?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jim

no...

if you're having trouble adding mass, your PWO nutrition is the least of your problems...

did the past greats have the luxury of downing a liquid recovery shake? no...
they just ate a load of good food through out the day.

your problem is a calorie intake problem, not a PWO problem. you need to add more calories to the rest of your meals, and not worry about getting fat. for one thing, if you're having trouble gaining weight, you're most likely an ectomorph, meaning that you're gonna stay fairly lean while bulking anyways. PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING QUOTE AND TAKE IT TO HEART!!!! it's from another board...

"I just get frustrated with the outright obsession with the post workout shake. I realize how important nutrients are after a workout. I realize that the body is primed for nutrient uptake. But, come on, it's not like we don't eat all day.
Are people fasting for 12 hours before a workout? Is that why forcing down 1,000 calories of sugar and whey protein hydrosylate molecular weight 520 is so necessary after a workout?

How long does it take to break down and assimilate the steak you ate before your workout? 3 hours? 5 hours? 7 hours?
If you're eating a solid "bodybuilding" meal an hour before your workout, those nutrients are still going to be around after the workout.

I'm not against post workout nutrition. I have my own personal pre/during/post workout nutrition that I advise people to do in the offseason. I'm just against the obsession with the post workout shake.

If people were 1/10th as worried about the rest of their meals as they were about the post workout shake, there would be a hell of a lot more people looking like bodybuilders.

Is post workout nutrition important? Yes.
But, so is meal one, two, three, etc."

Rey92
01-10-2007, 01:09 AM
My post workout shake consists of:

- 30 g AST VP2 (hydrolyzed WPI)

- 30 g maltodextrin

- 30 g glucose

- 2 g natural antioxydant powder

- 0.5 L water

Then 30-60 minutes later I have a complete meal.

xraided85
01-10-2007, 06:45 AM
I use Gatorade after workouts as well as CGL which has way maize starch in it. you can read about it here

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=883744&highlight=vitargo+cgl

and here

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=787429&highlight=waxy+maize+starch

I've also seen others saying that WMS may not be as affective as a stand alone product, but that might just be opinion, I honestly havent read much about that since mines mixed with my creatine.

kleraudio
01-10-2007, 08:09 AM
thanks everyone especially randomality.

You pretty much hit that one on the head! And this whole time i thought it was a PWO problem. Your right, I am afraid of getting fat, which is why I dont eat lots of cals. See, it is not cuz I am an ecto morph, its because I used to be obese.

I weighed in like 5 years ago at 260 pounds, im 6'2. probably in the area of 30%BF. Super high cholesterol, size 42 waistline, the whole nine yards...

Now after years of yo yo dieting and the like i finally researched this whole nutrition thing and now am down to 180 pounds and 8% BF.

I have done really well to maintain this bodyweight, and i would LOVE to bulk up and i try, but dammit i cant force down 3500 cals without imagining the fat coming back

I gain fat really really fast, does this mean i would gain muscle just as fast if i ate lots of clean cals and stuck to my routine (its a good lifting routine)??

wow, thanks for opening up a new train of thought randomality, i really appreciate it.

Jim

kleraudio
01-11-2007, 09:27 PM
bump

M_Ainsworth
01-11-2007, 09:36 PM
i sometimes will mix everything from peanut butter, bannana, oats, milk, and whey with mine........but mostly i just stick with whey and water