PDA

View Full Version : Can't figure this out

Brother Phil
02-23-2003, 07:22 PM
I think the answer to this has to be some element of my diet, but here it is. There are times when I work out, usually for several days ay a time, where no matter how many reps or forced reps I perform, I do not feel a burn in the muscle. Now last week everything in the training being the same, I'd get done with a set and the muscle being worked would be on fire! I still would get a pump without the burn, and be sore the following day or two, but it seems like when I have those burn days, the pump is better and the soreness is more severe. Any ideas to what might cause this? Anyone who sees me workout will tell you that my workouts are always intense, and I think I can honestly say that there isn't anybody in the gym who works harder. I would just like to know if anyone can answer this, as it makes no sense to me.

Charger
02-23-2003, 07:41 PM
Just a guess but I would say it's in the recovery. If you work a muscle that is not yet full recovered you will feel less of the soreness. By allowing for full recovery you will feel more soreness. it's like when you take a break, your first day back after a week off you get REALLY sore compared to before.
Sleep may have changed, stress?? both would play a part in recovery.

CROWLER
02-23-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Brother Phil
I think the answer to this has to be some element of my diet, but here it is. There are times when I work out, usually for several days ay a time, where no matter how many reps or forced reps I perform, I do not feel a burn in the muscle. Now last week everything in the training being the same, I'd get done with a set and the muscle being worked would be on fire! I still would get a pump without the burn, and be sore the following day or two, but it seems like when I have those burn days, the pump is better and the soreness is more severe. Any ideas to what might cause this? Anyone who sees me workout will tell you that my workouts are always intense, and I think I can honestly say that there isn't anybody in the gym who works harder. I would just like to know if anyone can answer this, as it makes no sense to me.

Are you making consistent gains and are happy with them?

If so then just keep doing what you are doing.

iluvlifting2001
02-24-2003, 06:31 AM
You might want to swap up you routines more or incorporate supersets or some other form into you routine for a bit.

Hibiscus09
02-24-2003, 06:37 AM
I've noticed since I've been carb cycling that on lower carb days my muscles burn more when I'm working them. Just a thought.

Also, make sure you're switching up exercises each time -- i.e., don't do the same exercises for chest as you did the week before. (I try to stick to that one mostly but on some body parts [chest & shoulders] I'm working around an injury.)

TwoWalks
02-24-2003, 07:32 AM
Well now this is how it was explained to me when I asked about the same thing about a month ago.

Burn is toxins in the muscle:
Pump is blood in the muscle:
Soreness is fiber break down for growth:

We expect the burn so when it happens our brain say's "all is well" and total focus is on the muscle and form - complete focus on muscle and fiber breakdown = soreness.

When we do not experience the burn we start focusing on "why, whats wrong" losing focus on the muscle and loss of form = no soreness.

Then was added "can also depend on recovery and amount of glutamine and other minerals in the body":)

Suggestion I was then given: Do not worry about it the burn does not have to happen for muscle hypertrophy - just concentrate on your form and focus:D

Brother Phil
02-24-2003, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the imput, y'all.

I switch up my routine a lot. I seam to adjust fast to certain exercises. My back routine I haven't changed much as I'm making consistant gains. I usually just alternate one exercise on back. Chest, and arms I switch up on a lot, and I seam to respond well to that. I've just started a new leg routine and I want to see what the results will be. My weight is going up steadily this bulk cycle, about 17 lbs since the 1st of Oct. and I still have a 34 waist. My waist may have put a little fat on, but not that much. It looks pretty tight in the morning, but since I eat A LOT, I look a little puffy during the day. I guess I shouldn't concern myself with some things. I am responding well to my training, making better gains now than I did years ago in my 20's, so I'll just shut up and be satisfied. I guess I just want to understand as much as I can about this stuff.