PDA

View Full Version : Help with up comming workout:

TwoWalks
02-23-2003, 02:30 PM
At the end of March I should be at the 16% body fat level and plan to shift to a
mass building workout for the next three months.

I have evaluated my strong and weak points and surprise, surprise - Arms and
Shoulders came up short. I have a program for my arms and a program for my
shoulders, so two workouts are filled up. This is going to give me a program of
four days a week that will look like this:

1. Arms
2. shoulders
3. Chest/Back
4. Legs

With Arms and Shoulders as my main focus what order do you feel the workout
should take?

Example:
Monday - Shoulders
Tues - Back/Chest
Wed - off
Thur - Arms
Fri - legs

Ok, put these into the order you would do them and why. I already have the
exercises for each area, so am looking at the order and days.

GLAlexander
02-23-2003, 03:04 PM
Two Walks

I am definitely not an expert in the field, but IMHO this is the order and days I would proceed with.

Monday Shoulders
Tuesday Off
Wednesday Chest and Back (another day of rest since most chest exercises will work on the shoulders also)

Thursday Off
Friday Legs

Saturday Arms (In my workouts when I add an extra day of rest for my arms I have better workouts, in my chest and back workouts I get quite a bit of arm work)
Sunday Off

Hibiscus09
02-23-2003, 04:19 PM
If you don't want to work out on weekends, you could always workout M-W-F & then do the last of the 4 workouts the following Monday. Then start the schedule over on Wednesday & keep cycling along. Did that make sense? Sometimes I don't understand myself. LOL

I've read before that once you hit 40, your body needs more recuperation time in order to make muscle gains. I'm hoping that's true since I'm 41. :)

I always feel kind of messed up when I'm throwing them all in Monday through Friday, because like GLA says, chest & back hit the arms a lot so one of these parts (depending on how I order them for the week) gets less of a workout because of tired arms. If you want to get all 4 workouts done in the Monday through Friday period each week, however, just switch up the order each week.

Charger
02-23-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by TwoWalks

Example:
Monday - Shoulders
Tues - Back/Chest
Wed - off
Thur - Arms
Fri - legs

Mon: Chest/Back
Tues:Legs
Thur: Shoulders
Fri:Arms

Why? This puts the most seperation between Chest-Shoulders and Chest/Back and arms. Shoulders are not used much when doing arms so this is another reason. Good Luck!

Eye2_Man
02-23-2003, 06:47 PM
Hi TwoWalks,

I'm definitely not an expert either. But it sort of makes sense to take a day off or do legs the days after arms and shoulders. Chest day after bombing shoulders is going to be brutal. How about:

Mon. Shoulders
Tue. Legs
Wed. Arms
Thurs. Off
Fri. Chest/Back

That way it spaces out legs and back too if you plan on doing squats on leg days and deadlifts on back days.

TwoWalks
02-23-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Charger
Mon: Chest/Back
Tues:Legs
Thur: Shoulders
Fri:Arms

Hibiscus, Eye2 and Gl Thanks for the replies, all makes good sence.

Charger, since Primary is Arms and Shoulders, what do you think about reversing the order so shoulders and arms are done when the energy is highest?:

Mon: Shoulders
Tue: Arms
Wed: off
Thu: chest/back
Fri: legs

Charger
02-23-2003, 07:08 PM
Charger, since Primary is Arms and Shoulders, what do you think about reversing the order so shoulders and arms are done when the energy is highest?:

Mon: Shoulders
Tue: Arms
Wed: off
Thu: chest/back
Fri: legs

Sure:D I will say eye2 made a good point about chest/back and leg day being togther. I would still do it as listed above but I would make sure exercises don't hit lower back on both days.
Don't try squats on Fri. and deads on Thur. Since neither of these are your priority I would go more with isolation exercises. Good Luck!

CROWLER
02-23-2003, 07:47 PM
IMO

Monday Wed Fri

Mon Chest, shoulders tris

Wed Legs and abs.

Fri Back and bis.

Most people don't need to do direct work on forearms and the other small muscles which get worked indirectly from many exercises.

I would NOT use an entire day for shoulders they are a SMALL muscle so why the need to dedicate an entire day to them?

TwoWalks
02-23-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Charger
Don't try squats on Fri. and deads on Thur. Since neither of these are your priority I would go more with isolation exercises. Good Luck!

Thanks Charger - with this program legs will be Leg extensions - leg curls - leg Press - calve raises.

TwoWalks
02-23-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by CROWLER
I would NOT use an entire day for shoulders they are a SMALL muscle so why the need to dedicate an entire day to them?

Thanks for the reply Crowler - fair question. Normally I do not put shoulders as a seperate day. With my new program there will be:

5 exercises for a total of 18 sets, usually about the max I can handle energy wise:)

CROWLER
02-23-2003, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the reply Crowler - fair question. Normally I do not put shoulders as a seperate day. With my new program there will be:

5 exercises for a total of 18 sets, usually about the max I can handle energy wise:)

I apologize I misread your original post. I did not realize you were already set on the base of your program.

The other guys gave good ideas.

Please keep us posted as my arms are behind my shoulders and they need HELP> :)