PDA

View Full Version : Loosing It!!

edster951
02-23-2003, 11:47 AM
Starting to loose it.

Got to the gym, did my cardio, and weights, felt sick.

Getting frustrated as the weight is continuing to go up. Currently up to 225lbs.

I know I've naughty wit the diet, as we've just had two birthdays in 2 weeks, and I have had some cream cakes.

What sticks in my mind is I need to be in positive balance to grow, unfortunately growing out around the middle....the more my weight goes up the more I'm loosing it!!!

Sound like overtraining, but I've just had two weeks off a couple of weeks ago, and don't want another rest.

I feel like I'm slipping away from you guys.......:(

kendo
02-23-2003, 11:52 AM
Hang in there Ed just keep the cals clean and be led not into temptation. Mass gain on a clean diet is slow. If pounds are going on each week then your cals are too high. Natural muscle doesn't pile on quickly but takes time. I know you worked really hard to get b/f down in the first place and you don't want it back in a hurry. Don't worry too much as its coming into your winter now and go into a good cutting plan come next spring. it's not good to be dieting all the time.

Good luck mate.

TwoWalks
02-23-2003, 12:00 PM
Ed, I can feel what you are going through - we have had so much the same story as we have talked about before. What you are going through now I will not even indicate that I have an answer too, I don't. My own fear of this is why I chose to stay with the weight loss until I was between 10 - 15% body fat. I did not think I could withstand the increase mentally. Dave Draper told me when I was at 24% to start focusing on Mass gain, but I just could not do it.

The only help I can offer at this point is:

Take a step back, relax and take a deep breathe and then re-evaluate what you really want - looking at Mass gain or Fat Loss. This is the area where most say you can do one or you can do the other, but not both at the same time. Even if we see some gain during weight loss, that is a small amount and mostly luck, in my opinion:)

Stress is the biggest killer of weight loss with eating as number two.

Hibiscus09
02-23-2003, 01:12 PM
Don't slip away. We like you. :) We'd have to come get you back.

GLAlexander
02-23-2003, 03:11 PM
Edster

This is temporary, you have come too far. I went through a similar phase in October and November but came out of it in December. I have lost as much weight from December to now as I did from March to December. My strength gains have been good across the board.

There is too much good advice and too many people who like you here for you to fall back. Just stay in touch and we will carry you through. I know I will need to lean on you at some point and time.

back2it
02-23-2003, 03:20 PM
Don't lose it Edster . Take a look at where you have come from ,your progress has been inspirational to everyone .
Review your program maybe too much dieting or even cardio . I know this sounds strange but I have had beter luck lifting heavy with less cardio and of course watching what I put in my mouth . When I want to reduce fat I drop as much refined carbs as possible but eat tons of raw food {not meat of course} but a lot of veggies I maintain protein intake with lean meats lots of EFA's and although it tastes like flavoured chalk I take protein powder with water to keep the gms up and cals down .
Cardio burn calories but so does lean mass 75-100 calories per day-resting for each pound so keep lifting heavy .

gbat
02-23-2003, 04:47 PM
I think Back2it has a handle on the problem. Upping the veggies seems to work for me. One thing that always seems to help is making a huge vat of homemade vegetable soup with low gi veggies. I throw canned stuff in there but also cut up raw vegetables of various kinds. I hit it heavily with cayene pepper which assures me that noone else in the house will eat it, :D as well as speeding up my system. I store it in quart zip lock bags, freeze em, and pull them out when needed. The more I eat of this stuff the more fat I seem to lose.

Hitting the water heavy and getting lots of fiber is a diet in itself.

Charger
02-23-2003, 05:30 PM
There is no way you are quiting, put that out of your mind. Did you ever quit doing 10x10 on squats, hell no!

Now, whatever routine you are doing now, stop it. Sit down and either make a new one or look for one that appeals to you and one that is the opposite to what you are doing. You need something to get excited about, new goals.

Now for the diet, simple clean it up, lower cals a little, keep protein up and don't sweat the small stuff. Keep it simple.

I do not think you are overtraining, just pushing to hard, too fast. You'll get there Ed, enjoy the journey, don't turn it into work.
That's my advice, hope all or part helps.

ManOSteel
02-23-2003, 05:39 PM
Edster,

You have come a long way and did a tremendous job. However, you have to stop looking at bodybuilding as having a distinct endpoint, it is a continous cyclic process of ups-and-downs. Too many people say I am going to by xx lbs or x% bf which doesn't work for everyone as a goal and leads to discouragement - Remember, you are in it for the long run...it is now a lifestyle for you. Unless you have a contest date, don't get hung up on the numbers...PM me anytime if you want to chat.

MOS

Belle
02-23-2003, 05:40 PM
Possibly not getting enough rest inbetween you work outs if you are. I know I never got anywhere with the cardio, in fact I'm sure it really made things much worse for me. The diet was all it needed and the weight training. I know weight training doesn't burn fat, but you need to cut the cardio because to my mind it is defeating the purpose, which is weights and then recovery asap.

Eye2_Man
02-23-2003, 06:39 PM
Hey Bro, you'll get it together. You are one of the big inspirations and guide for the 35+ board. You can't loose it. Too many folks rely on you.

Maybe there's a lot going on in your life right now? Try to relax and put things into perspective. Examine your priorities. You'll get it.

tracyb555
02-23-2003, 09:00 PM
Edster, hang in there marathon man! If you had it in you to complete a marathon, you have it in you to reach your other goals as well. I can totally relate though - it seems like I went through a phase around the holidays of eating too much and letting myself go. That was my main reason for starting the challenge - I needed some way of motivating myself to get back on track.

On analyzing it after, I think I didn't give myself enough time after the marathon to just relax and enjoy myself, so I started to get burned out on everything and rebel by overeating. So even if your eating is off track right now, keep up with your workouts, then get your diet back on track gradually.

Take care Ed - and keep hanging out with us! We miss you when you're not around.

edster951
02-24-2003, 02:20 AM
Everything seems to be going against me at the moment..

A guy at work who annoys the hell out of me

Starting my own business from home (positive)

Birthdays - three in three weeks.

Getting a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt.

Renovations going over budget.

Weight going up.

I will take a little of everyones advice.

And as Tracey said "So even if your eating is off track right now, keep up with your workouts, then get your diet back on track gradually"

Apart from the weekends I think my diet is OK, but I'll reduce it slowly over the next few weeks.

There is another body alive challenge at my gym starting on the 14 March. May even join that one.

I love you all

Edster

IPR
02-24-2003, 11:03 AM
Ed....I'm away on my hols and just checked in to see whats happening and I see this thread, which I felt I must put a reply too straight away.

From what I've learnt it seems you are somewhat metabolically resistant to fat loss. I do not believe for one second that you could put in more effort than you do. Maybe it just requires a little refocusing, and takes more time than some others, but this isn't a short-term thing.

I know you can and will suceed.

MagicMel
02-24-2003, 11:35 AM
edster,

You are one fine hardworking individual. Patience and focus are your keys to success.
I/We value your input immensely, and do not want to lose you.
Hang in there, bro. We're all here for you.

Gollum
02-24-2003, 05:16 PM
Edster,

If it helps any,*I* have gotten motivation from *your* posts and your progress.When I first came to this board,I started posting my bench press personal bests in your "bench press journal" thread.I also followed your progress on Chargers GVT rountine and I contributed my poundages and reps to that thread as well.You have a tremendous amount of dedication and a wicked set of guns.Plus,we need someone to use the words "breaky" and "morning tea"!

I really like motivational quotes.I found this thread a while ago and refer to it often.Hopefully you may find a few you like enough to grace your gym wall or frig.

The Only thing to it is to do it.

∑ Today is a good day to die.

∑ What does not kill you makes you stronger.

∑ Pain is weakness leaving the body.

∑ It is better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

∑ If you're not getting better than you're getting worse.

∑ The Journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.

∑ Persistence and Determination alone are omnipotent.

∑ The only failure in life is the failure to TRY!

∑ Try not. Do or Do not. There is no Try.

∑ There are never any problems in life only challenges.

∑ A coward dies a thousand deaths, the brave man just once.

∑ Failure is not getting knocked down; failure is when you don't get back up.

∑ Be strong in mind and body... Be part of the brotherhood.

∑ PAIN IS TEMPORARY, PRIDE LASTS FOREVER.

∑ Show me a good and gracious loser, and I'll show you a failure.

∑ It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop

∑ He who endures, Conquers.

∑ Strength through Pride then Pride through strength.

∑ Good things come to those who weight.

∑ It's not where you start but where you finish

∑ Know your limitations, then CRUSH them.

∑ Fear not the iron, for it shall keepeth thine flesh honest.

∑ Second place is the first loser.

∑ The only easy day was yesterday.

∑ If there is no dull and determined effort, there will be no brilliant achievement.

∑ Lift until yours eyes bleed.

∑ It's going to hurt the first time and the 100th time. Deal with it!

∑ Lift till bone breaks through the flesh.

∑ "May God have mercy upon the iron, because I won't"

∑ Limits are for people who have them. Donít let the spirits of pain conquer the God of Iron .

∑ The minds and muscles of the Brotherhood are to be kept sharp as the swords of gods.

∑ You will do it. You have no option.

∑ There is no substitute for guts.

∑ "IF YOU FAIL TO PREPARE YOUR PREPARING TO FAIL"

∑ F#ck average, F#ck genetics, They're not part of my religion.

∑ It's not how many times you get knocked on your a$$, it's how many times you back off your a$$ and knock them down.

∑ Either your growing or your just dying.

∑ Doing the last rep means battle between mind and weight. Win it!

∑ Take the PAIN.

∑ Before you start complaining, suck it up and stop your bitching.

∑ The greatest happiness is to scatter your enemy and drive him before you, to see his cities reduced to ashes, to see those who love him shrouded in tears and to gather to your bosom his wives and daughters - Genghis Khan

∑ Before you start complaining, suck it up and stop your bitching.

∑ Don't do your best. Do what it takes. The more you sweat in peace; the less you bleed in war!

∑ THE BEST WAY TO PREDICT THE FUTURE IS . . . TO CREATE IT.

∑ And God said: get up my son and lift the damn weight.

∑ If you can accept losing, You can't win.

∑ Cowards never get started and the weak die along the way

∑ Be a champion or a wannabe...you decide

∑ Don't look at the weight just lift the $hit

∑ Blood and Iron are the your best resources

∑ Excuses are for the weak.

∑ The wrought iron thinks itself needlessly tortured in the fire, the
tempered steel blade knows why.

∑ Pain is your friend, the weights are your enemy, and determination is your savior.

∑ Be Charitable...Lift Harder For Those Who Can't.

∑ If there is no pain, then you are not trying hard enough.

∑ Welcome the pain and enjoy gains that come with it.

∑ Pain is mandatory, suffering is optional.

∑ In a world of compromise, some don't. Stand with pride or stand aside.

∑ Raw and Brutal is the way to go. Lift HARD, eat RIGHT, SLEEP and you'll live forever. See you in Valhalla!

Hardcore,my brother from across the pond,Hardcore Forever!

edster951
02-24-2003, 10:43 PM
Thanks gollam...

icequeen - calling me honey... :o shucks!!

I did have a good bench day today...

TwoWalks
02-25-2003, 08:26 AM
Ed, so many folks have said this, You have been a great inspiration to many. That would hardly be true if things were not working.

If I thought saying "Oh please, don't give up" would help I would say it. It won't so don't read it.

Here is my view for ever its worth:

You have entered the twilight zone ... I was there a few weeks back myself. That place of non-existance that is created in our minds. The black hole of logic ... called conflict of interest.

1. weight loss
2. mass gain
3. strength gains

Too much Bro - too many conflicts - get the priorities defined into a single goal and then find ways to accomplish it. Welcome to the Twilight zone.

:)