PDA

View Full Version : Fall short of daily calories or eat something unhealthy?

NewBodyBuilder7
01-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Quick question. Which would be worse? Say you're supposed to take in 4,000 calories and you're in the low 3,000s. Would it be better to finish the day short of what you need, or would it be better to eat a couple slices of pizza to reach your appropriate caloric intake?

Obviously the best course of action is to eat healthy to get there, but if the only alternative was to eat something unhealthy, pizza, cheeseburger, etc. (not candy, but something that is going to have protein, calories, fat, etc.) is it better to eat it or fall short?

I'm not sure if the answer would be any different, but say this occurance happens daily instead of a one time deal? Should you regularly fall short of what you need, or have a daily cheeseburger, etc. to reach what you need to reach?

snakehips31
01-05-2007, 08:22 PM
well when it comes to certain foods like pizza and cheeseburgers remember you can make them a little healthier. get the cheeseburger without cheese and no mayo.get some veggies on there too.a lot of pizza places are making healthier pizzas using all wheat crusts,low fat cheese,etc. while foods like these are not the best for you,they can be a lot worse.

NewBodyBuilder7
01-05-2007, 08:27 PM
So is that a yes? I'm just curious if it's more important to get those calories than it is to get maybe 500-750 of your calories from foods that aren't very healthy.

snakehips31
01-05-2007, 08:30 PM
if you are trying to bulk up then eat my friend.

ZDub212
01-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Quick question. Which would be worse? Say you're supposed to take in 4,000 calories and you're in the low 3,000s. Would it be better to finish the day short of what you need, or would it be better to eat a couple slices of pizza to reach your appropriate caloric intake?

Obviously the best course of action is to eat healthy to get there, but if the only alternative was to eat something unhealthy, pizza, cheeseburger, etc. (not candy, but something that is going to have protein, calories, fat, etc.) is it better to eat it or fall short?

I'm not sure if the answer would be any different, but say this occurance happens daily instead of a one time deal? Should you regularly fall short of what you need, or have a daily cheeseburger, etc. to reach what you need to reach?

One time deal: Go ahead, eat the junk (Provided it's not all trans fat/sugar loaded junk

Regular Basis: If this is happening all of the time, then you need to plan better. If you consistently fall 1000 calories short for the day, then something is wrong and you need to plan your meals better. Oils, nuts, avocados, peanut butter, etc can all add up quickly in the calorie department so try eating more of those, and mixing some milk/casein with some peanut butter is a perfect pre-bed meal as it slowly digests and keeps you anticatabolic. I would stick to having a cheat day where you can eat all those junky foods once a week and try to eat healthy the rest of the time. Hope that helps. Good luck.

clutch97
01-05-2007, 08:37 PM
"The old "a calorie is a calorie" saying is a myth. It's a misstatement because the body reacts much differently given the macronutrient profile of the calorie source. A full explanation can be found here."

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460048

aka It is very dependant on what your going to eat and your personal goals...

user98511001541
01-05-2007, 08:49 PM
pizza or a burger would be alright... a bag of chips of a box of cookies would not be alrigth...

if its real food, go ahead and eat

Richie_Awesome
01-05-2007, 09:02 PM
A slice of pizza would be more beneficial, and, if you have most nutrients for the day and your diet isn't high in saturated fat, would have little to no negatives.

jando
01-05-2007, 10:28 PM
i'd personally rather eat something than fall short on calories for the day.
id just make sure not to go over

RossK
01-06-2007, 01:59 AM
if its pizza slice get a few napkins and wipe it over mopping up excess grease , you can reduce saturated fat content by about 2-4g which is better than doing nowt.

Sockomalo
01-06-2007, 06:26 AM
plan ahead. if you can plan ahead to always have pizza and burgers around, why cant you plan to have healthy stuff around?

you get what you put into it

NewBodyBuilder7
01-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Agreed to the last post even though it doesn't answer the question.

Over the past week, I've had mixed feelings with this question. My first instict was to get the calories for sure by any means, even if it meant something unhealthy occasionaly. Now since I've been eating healthy and absolutly avoiding all food like pizza, cheesburgers, etc. I feel like I'd rather fall a few hundred calories short than make up those calories with a slice of pizza or something. Anyone have an opinion on this?

CHALKOUTLINE
01-10-2007, 08:08 PM
i use to ask this all the time too... theres so much **** thats up there in cals with pizza and **** thats guna benifit you that you can take with you that doesnt need to be cold or anything (i know thats not what u wana hear cause i got pissed when people answered like this when i asked haha) but i finally figured out how easy it is to take **** with you.. even on days i dont think ima need it i end up haven a perfect time for it

cablespy
01-10-2007, 08:14 PM
if you are trying to bulk up then eat my friend.

I agree. if bulking just eat it. if cutting, skip it.

NewBodyBuilder7
01-10-2007, 09:32 PM
i use to ask this all the time too... theres so much **** thats up there in cals with pizza and **** thats guna benifit you that you can take with you that doesnt need to be cold or anything (i know thats not what u wana hear cause i got pissed when people answered like this when i asked haha) but i finally figured out how easy it is to take **** with you.. even on days i dont think ima need it i end up haven a perfect time for it

Haha, don't get me wrong, I completely agree with what you're saying. I'm more or less at this point asking from a "hypothetical" pov. I'm just curious if it's better to reach your goals with say 90% healthy food and 10% unhealthy or to just go 90% of the way and not even eat the 10% unhealthy food.

steelo79
01-10-2007, 09:43 PM
yea man, as long as it's not some **** like chips or snickers bars, go for the gusto (if you're bulking). i usually try to spot a lack of cals as early as possible tho, and down all the crap i can within 3 hours before bed. i still take in a pre-bed meal, but i try to keep it clean. but like i said, when i'm bulking, i pretty much don't give a ****. go for the gusto!