PDA

View Full Version : A few various questions

Eye2_Man
02-23-2003, 08:53 AM
Good weekend? What's up?

Here's a few questions that came up yesterday...

1. The new split routine is pretty much a butt-kicker. 2 or 3 sets per exercises. 6 reps per set. Heaviest weight possible. On the 3rd set of bench presses, I could only do 3 reps. Should the weight be dropped 10 pounds and the set restarted? Or is enough enough and we'll get'm next time? As for the next, there's a 3 day rest for doing BP's again. Should the same weight be tried? Or lower down 5 pounds?

2. A friend came over last night to watch the boxing match. He brought over a 12-pack over. Interestingly, we are both on diet and no one drank any. While looking at the can, it says:

Average Analysis:
100 calories
5g carbs
0.7g protein
0.0g fat

5g x 4 = 20 cal.
.7 x 4 = 2.8 cal.
0.0 x 9 = 0 cal.

That's only 22.8 calories. But the can says 100 calories. What makes up the missing 77.2 calories? Are these what are truely known as "empty calories"?

3. Do you wear lifting gloves? I had to dig out a cheap a$$ chrome shard from my palm last night. Still have one deep in a finger that a glove wouldn't have prevented.

Fudog1138
02-23-2003, 09:06 AM
1. Your doing a reverse pyramid style workout. 2 warmup sets and 3 ass kickers.
Set 1 is your heaviest, probably shooting for 4-6 or 6-8 reps.
Set 2 is a bit lighter and should shoot for a few more reps.
Set 3 again is a bit lighter and should go for more reps.
The first set should be explosive, set two slower and set 3 at near Tai Chi speeds. That will stimulate both fast and slow twitch fibers. Doing that three days apart. May have to increase calories a bit to keep up. Keep a close eye on it.

2. Alcohol has 7 calories per gram. Gotta figure that in.

3. I don't wear gloves. I use straps for heavy lifts and 1 arm db raises, other than that I just grip those bastards.

Eye2_Man
02-23-2003, 09:29 AM
OK, that makes sense. Thanks.

355g can of beer. 3% alcohol (Keystone Light (ugh - yeah, I know)). 10.65g of alcohol x 7 = 74.55 cals.

Missing cals are all alcohol. So, apparently the body is capable of converting alcohol to body fat. But that must be the crappiest energy store. The human body is reluctant to use this energy source. No wonder beer fat comes off so slowly.

back2it
02-23-2003, 09:42 AM
Your 3rd set of BP are you doing 3 work sets or is the 3rd your heaviest like a pyramid ? If you do 3 heavy sets with the same weight I wouldn't drop the weight and start over that would be it . Once you do all reps of all 3 sets add a bit of weight you want to reach muscular failure . Dropping weight in all 3 sets would be doing less work and counter productive . Just keep the same weight for next week if you have rested long enough you should be stronger .
I have no idea about the nutrient content of beer , sorry
No gloves , straps are OK when you need them

Eye2_Man
02-23-2003, 09:50 AM
It's a compromise between a pyramid and same weight. Sort of. Before yesterday, my best bench press was 150x3. Yesterday's goal was:

8@95 warmup
6@135 (completed)
6@145 (completed)
6@155 (only 3)

Feeling guilty, the 10lb plates were pulled and a set at 135 was done. But only 4 reps could be pressed. I'm just wondering if this was a bad idea.

Not much of a pyramid since the weight of the first real set was already close to pb.

Hibiscus09
02-23-2003, 12:17 PM
My little brain instantly thought "Alcohol." That was too quick right? Not a good sign. LOL

back2it
02-23-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Eye2_Man
It's a compromise between a pyramid and same weight. Sort of. Before yesterday, my best bench press was 150x3. Yesterday's goal was:

8@95 warmup
6@135 (completed)
6@145 (completed)
6@155 (only 3)

Feeling guilty, the 10lb plates were pulled and a set at 135 was done. But only 4 reps could be pressed. I'm just wondering if this was a bad idea.

Not much of a pyramid since the weight of the first real set was already close to pb.

I don't think it was a bad idea lots of people do drop sets . I have done them in the past but no more I feel it just puts me that much closre to overtraining . I think it best to finish with max weight and go to failure . The work is done at that point I have stimulated muscle growth no need to fatique the muscle any further it just reduces my ability to recover .

Charger
02-23-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Eye2_Man
Yesterday's goal was:

8@95 warmup
6@135 (completed)
6@145 (completed)
6@155 (only 3)

If it were me, I would do this if I am doing a pyramid.

8@95 warm up.
8@135
155x ?
135x ?
If 8 @ 135 is failure then drop down to a weight you can get atleast 8 reps with out going to failure. The last two sets with ? should be done to complete failure so have a spotter. Keep a log and make sure reps are going up on last two sets. If not, increase time between chest workouts. Recovery is key!
As for gloves, thats a personal choice. I recently gave them up and love it. I now enjoy the feel of cold steel and chalk. My forearms are growing with increased grip. I use straps only on my last heavy set on shrugs and deads. Good Luck!