PDA

View Full Version : HMB + Creatine

Charger
02-23-2003, 08:38 AM
A friend just sent this to me and it was very interesting info, check it out.

http://www.iastate.edu/~nscentral/releases/2003/feb/sharp.shtml

edster951
02-23-2003, 11:42 AM
read something similar about 12 months ago, that creatine and HMB have a synergistic effect on each other, ie complement each other.

HMB isn't cheap though.

TwoWalks
02-23-2003, 11:52 AM
Charger a very interesting article. If the conclusions of the article are correct, then it sounds like a great combo.

Interesting is the view of protien, if that conclusion is correct, there is about a million or more dollars a year wasted, but I enjoy my Protien drinks:)

kendo
02-23-2003, 12:04 PM
Interesting too Charger in that they didn't great results with the Androstenedione and DHEA . I am also skeptical of their conversion rates to spurn growth.

YMCA_man
02-23-2003, 12:57 PM
Charger....that is a curious article and what is interesting about it for me is that I am thinking about adding HMB to my stack of supplements. One piece of information that wasn't mentioned or I overlooked was the amount that needs to be taken. At one time, I read that at least 12g a day is needed to be effective.

What do you think????

Charger
02-23-2003, 01:55 PM
Y-man, your guess is as good as mine, I'm no supp guru, this may need to be taken over to the supp secton for them boys to figure out. I will need to strap on the safety gear first going over there:D

edster, It's not that bad price wise? I looked it up and I can get EAS HMB 360 caps for 39 bucks. At 12 caps a day it would be, ok that is a bit pricey, it figures out to one bottle would last 30 daysor 39 bucks a month. Plus the creatine which is cheap.Still may give it a go.

Twowalks, I have lowered my protein intake from shakes already, I am trying to get most from food, but I am a bit skeptical of there findings on protein, I would like to see the amount they used.

I would also like to point out this study was done at Iowa State U. which is a leading U. in animal research. There research I am sure started with the idea to promote more growth in livestock. Not that we are cattle but if it works for them???

YMCA_man
02-23-2003, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the reply Charger. I will probably try it as well . As to price, seems like VitaminWorld is the cheatest I have seen for HMB ( of course, that is on the first Mon & Tue of the month).

TwoWalks
02-23-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Charger
Twowalks, I have lowered my protein intake from shakes already, I am trying to get most from food, but I am a bit skeptical of there findings on protein, I would like to see the amount they used.

Charger that is interesting to hear, I thought it was just me. For the last 3 weeks I have cut out one of my two shakes each day and added 6oz of tuna in place of it. The shake on the other hand is a built in safe guard for me, I am a milk shake nut, and the shake does help curb the desire:)

SImPLyHuGE
02-23-2003, 03:07 PM
the cheapest hmb is ultimate nutiriton its dirt cheap, 1 fast has it.

when stacking hmb and creatine should they be taken at exactly the same time, or just in the same day.

back2it
02-23-2003, 03:32 PM
I am already taking creatine and I had a bottle of HMB in my hand yesterday but didn't buy it . I will do some research on it this week, if I find anything i'll post it here

back2it
02-23-2003, 04:18 PM
Check this out www.hmb-mti.com look in publications the iowa state u study is there .

Charger
03-22-2003, 07:51 AM
Well it's been almost a month since I first started my experiment with HMB and I must say I think the stuff works!
Now I can't say I have seen huge gains but I have noticed steady gains and this last week my gains have came easier. I am also ding Max-OT and lifting heavy, my gains last week suprised me. Not that I went up but how easy it was.
Example was squats, the week before I did

I did squats at 275x 6) x6) x4) my form sucked, I really had to grunt if you know what I mean to get 4 on the last set.
This week I did the same weight 275x6) x6) x7) and it was easy. I was upset at myself for not adding weight. My bench has been the same way. All weights are coming up at the same time I lost 2 pounds body fat.
I used EAS HMB in the capsules. Took them 3 times a day with meals. I also took my creatine 2 times a day, 10 grams a day.
Now I am wondering if that was the right thing to do. So I ordered some Betagen from EAS and will try taking them together 3 times a day.

Brother Phil
03-22-2003, 10:13 AM
Charger,
Thanks for the thread. I have posted my own experience with HMB in your challenge thread, in which I stated that I felt I definately needed to try it again, for a longer period of time. I'm thinking of going on some soon, as I'll be cutting, and also I want to get on it while I'm cycling creatine. From what I've read about HMB, it seems there would be no need to cycle it, however, there is some reasonable data to suggest creatine should be cycled. I like to read the scientific stuff as to how supplements, in theory or fact, achieve the effects that they are out to achieve. If anyone finds any more info on these two supps. taken together, let it be known, please.

IPR
03-22-2003, 04:51 PM
This is being talked about as a cutting supp, but creatine is really a bulking supp.

What are the views on this combination for bulking? I suppose if it helps with gains why not eh?

Brother Phil
03-22-2003, 04:58 PM
I would use them while cutting as a muscle retention aid, while bulking, to add mass.

Brother Phil
03-23-2003, 01:16 PM
I looked it up and I can get EAS HMB 360 caps for 39 bucks

Charger,
Where did you find HMB at that price?

Charger
03-23-2003, 01:36 PM
It's a local ma&pa store. I'll pm you