PDA

View Full Version : Squats+Deadlifts, Should I do on the same day?

mainer001
02-23-2003, 07:08 AM
I am just begining to lift again (see trying to gain posts) and it was recommended that I add deadlifts to my workout to gain mass. I presently am doing squats, bench press, lat pulldowns, behind the neck military presses, and bicep curls to get back into lifting shape and to gain some mass.

Should I do squats and deadlifts on the same day or should I alternate them in some fashion? What does everyone think? I presently lift for approximately 45-50 minutes per workout, 3 days/week, with about 19 productive sets not including warm-ups per workout. I have a limited amout of time so I really cannot add to many more sets before I will have to do some other type of workout split and I do not feel ready for that yet.

Thanks for all of your advice and for posting your interests on my previous post.

MiloMan
02-23-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by mainer001
Should I do squats and deadlifts on the same day
Short answer: No

Charger
02-23-2003, 07:57 AM
NO!:eek:

I would alternate them, maybe since you are just getting back into it do either or. Both hit your lower back which can put you out flat on your back for a while.
Plus, if you do them with enough intensity you should not be able to do both, after a hard session of deads I am shot. I tried doing both once and there was no way, which ever I did second sufferd and my gains went in the toilet.

Phatman1179
02-23-2003, 08:23 AM
I agree, Do not do both on the same day. I hurt my back super setting Squats and Dead lifts and it took me two months to recover before I could do either one again.

Maybe what you need is a three day split with the main compound movements being Mon- Squats(quad dominate assistance work), Wed- Bench (Shoulder and Tri assistance work), Fri- Dead Lifts (Back and Bi assistance work) Throw some Cardio and AB's in on off days if you like.

zackdarnell
02-23-2003, 04:47 PM
It could be done, depending on your routine and your goals. Id recommend splitting them, though.

back2it
02-23-2003, 04:57 PM
I would do deadlifts one day and squats the other 2 if your working out 3 times a week . They are both great exercises and you should do both just not the same day

bob_alfisti
02-23-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Phatman1179
I hurt my back super setting Squats and Dead lifts and it took me two months to recover before I could do either one again.

wonder who gave you that advise...anyway, dls and squats should be done on separate day. doing them both will definitely take a huge toll on your lower back. and i doubt you could be giving both the same intensity.

phatman...a painful lesson, eh? it's good that you have recovered...some might not.

CROWLER
02-23-2003, 06:53 PM
Ok unless I missed it you didn't say what you were doing deadlifts for, whether it is for hamstrings or back.

If you are doing them for back then I suggest you use the power rack. Set the pins at their lowest height. Then when you do the exercise you will be hitting only your back and VERY little if any hamstring will be involved.

Then on your leg day you do your squats.

mainer001
02-24-2003, 05:49 AM
I guess that answers my question. I think I will try doing deadlifts every Wednesday instead of squats and when I get the form down I'll switch to every other workout.

MagicMel
02-24-2003, 07:58 AM
Hi Mainer,

If I remember from another thread of yours, this is just the start of your 3rd week of training. You should still be focusing on conditioning and form as your main focus. As such, the intensity and amount of weight that you push, should not be so high that it stresses you out. You should not be going to failure on any set.

Are you doing whole body workouts? If so, then instead of just doing deads on Wednesdays, just do them every other workout day, switching them with squats. So one week you would be doing deads twice and squats once, and then vice versa the next week.

However, if your conditioning exercises are done with LIGHT weight, you might be able to do both on the same days. IMO

mainer001
02-24-2003, 08:05 AM
MagicMel,

I am in a general conditioning phase to get back into it. Doing full body every workout. I am beginning to push myself a little more each time so think I will try to get the form down and then alternate squats and deadlifts.

Thanks.

Phatman1179
02-24-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by bob_alfisti
wonder who gave you that advise...anyway, dls and squats should be done on separate day. doing them both will definitely take a huge toll on your lower back. and i doubt you could be giving both the same intensity.

phatman...a painful lesson, eh? it's good that you have recovered...some might not.

LOL, yeah I was doing "Meltdown Training" that I got off the T-mag web site. I thought if I went light enough it would be ok but it wasn't. I been seeing a Chiropratctor and still see him since Jan. Guess I was lucky to be back so fast.