PDA

View Full Version : No energy -help

jbkt
02-22-2003, 01:10 PM
34 yrs old, work a boring 3rd shift at a juvenile detention Boot Camp

work 9pm to 5 am drive home 45 minutes sit at the computer for 2 hrs go to bed wake up 3pm to get my kids off the bus,sit around feeling tired then wife comes home we have supper watch TV and 8pm time to go to work again

never really feel like working out and haven't been for about 6 yrs

what can I do to get some energy and the will to pickup the weights again

have treadmill,bike,free weights

TwoWalks
02-22-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by jbkt
34 yrs old, work a boring 3rd shift what can I do to get some energy and the will to pickup the weights again

FORCE, yep you will have to force yourself. Set aside 1hr, three days a week and if you do nothing else, sit there and hold the weights. I have found myself in that same situation and until you force yourself out of it, it just keeps getting worse. You might have to try and fail, try and fail, but until you break the cycle and then create a new habit, nothing will change. Once you create that one hour habit, start lifting the weights and eating better, then and only then will you find the energy level going up.

Kick yourself in the ... and get serious

jbkt
02-22-2003, 01:38 PM
not sure if the boss will bitch or not but I'm going to take a pair of 25lb dumbbells to work

I know 1 other staff member in another barracks works out with weights on his 9p to 5a shift

the cadets are all in bed during that shift anyway

back2it
02-22-2003, 02:04 PM
not sure if the boss will bitch or not but I'm going to take a pair of 25lb dumbbells to work

I know 1 other staff member in another barracks works out with weights on his 9p to 5a shift

the cadets are all in bed during that shift anyway

That is a great idea . I am sure doing your job that a bit of size would be an asset .
If your boss does not approve just do it at home . There is time if you look for it . I missed many years of training because of being self employed and working 12-15 hour days . Don't let the time pass , I wish I had set aside an hour 2,3 or 4 times a week . At the time it seemed impossible but looking back now I was the boss , I had the space that I could have set up a gym plus I had the equipment . No excuse now I work for someone else and I MAKE time .
Do this for yourself and your family .Do it for your health . If you have no energy get a physical if there are no problems get to work . Make sure you are still around to see your grandkids .

In the words of Charles Smith " You never know how important good health is until you no longer have it"

Macattack
02-22-2003, 03:56 PM
I suffer from LAS to, Lazy azz syndrome, its not incurable :)

I have to FORCE myself to go often, sometimes i ask myself what's the use i'm not getting anywhere, then i imagine my life without it, 350 pounds of bludder unable to walk or work, unattractive to any female, da da da da da, i get there after that somehow..

Just get started and little by little you can increase how much you do, your energy will increase as time goes by also, your brain will want the endorphins more to you'll start craving it like a drug, your sex life will improve:) think of the possibility's....

thetaz
02-23-2003, 06:58 AM
Used to have the same problem. Had all the equip., free wts., universal, etc. Discovered biggest problem...being home. Tough to get motivated, too many distractions (tv, gotta do something around the house, computer, etc.). If at all possible, JOIN A GYM...trust me it works. Nothing motivates you more than being with other people working toward the same goal AND the fact that your paying for it

Eye2_Man
02-23-2003, 10:59 AM
What do you like to do during your free time? Can weight training help you in those activities? If so, that might be a good incentive. Get better at what you like. Heavier bowling ball with more speed, greater distance on the golf course, more strength in wrestling, flirting with the opposite sex, etc.

The only downside to this, is that you might get hooked on lifting and forget about your other interests.

LateStart
02-23-2003, 05:28 PM
That's a tough schedule you're on. Can you squeeze 1/2 hour of cardio in before getting the kids? If so, try for every other day - maybe in front of the TV or some good music.

I've found that a quiet house works great for me (which is 6:00 AM).

Charger
02-23-2003, 05:42 PM
work 9pm to 5 am drive home 45 minutes sit at the computer for 2 hrs go to bed

There ya go, take half the computer time, go to a gym after work. 5:00 am is the perfect time to workout.
I agree with thetaz, go to a gym. If you have to slap down a fee most people will not waste it.
Also take a pic with out your shirt, put it on the fridge. Imagine what one year of training could do, even if you are lean, more size is cool. Good Luck!
The pump is addictive!

Belle
02-23-2003, 05:44 PM
and the more you sit around, the less active the muscle and therefore the less of it to have the strength to do a workout. When people first start on an intensive program of weights, they ALL feel too tired, but as your muscles get stronger, the fortunate thing is your energy levels will return. It isn't easy, but you really have to force yourself to do it. You will find the time to do the workout if you have the real desire to improve your fitness levels.

PS:

I workout in the evenings (x3 days) and chase around after 5 kids all day and I'm 39 and if I can do it anyone can!

Belle
02-23-2003, 05:49 PM
Doesn't smack me as good for recovery from weights either never mind the job itself. How long have you done that for?

You need to get in bed asap and sleep 8 hours and skip the computer time IMO. Do your weights when you wake up.

bob_alfisti
02-23-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by thetaz
If at all possible, JOIN A GYM...trust me it works. Nothing motivates you more than being with other people working toward the same goal AND the fact that your paying for it
yup, that's the biggest motivation you can have. looking at those big guys can really be a big plus...hey, i can be that way too. and looking at those fat guys...hey, i'm not that bad and i definitely don't want to be that way.
you know what, take our advise...it's free. if you are not starting it NOW, sooner or later, some dude with a long white coat is gonna give you the same advise...and it's gonna cost you!!!

tracyb555
02-23-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Belle
and the more you sit around, the less active the muscle and therefore the less of it to have the strength to do a workout. When people first start on an intensive program of weights, they ALL feel too tired, but as your muscles get stronger, the fortunate thing is your energy levels will return. It isn't easy, but you really have to force yourself to do it. You will find the time to do the workout if you have the real desire to improve your fitness levels.

PS:

I workout in the evenings (x3 days) and chase around after 5 kids all day and I'm 39 and if I can do it anyone can!

Belle is absolutely right. I was in a negative spiral for more years than I care to admit. I'm now in a positive spiral, feel more energy as a result of working out & losing weight. You really have to make the time - and at the beginning - will have to force yourself to go. Play little mind games, like "I'll go, but I only have to workout for 15 minutes" Chances are, once you actually get up & go to the gym, you will feel more motivated to actually work out.

And it's amazing how (once you start) you will find yourself re-prioritizing things in your life to MAKE TIME for your workouts. When I started to get back into shape, I found a gym that was open 24/7 and 3 minutes drive from home. There was absolutely no excuse I could find to miss a workout. My current gym is 20 minutes away with shorter hours, but I find the time to get there and do my stuff!

thetaz
02-24-2003, 04:31 PM
[
And it's amazing how (once you start) you will find yourself re-prioritizing things in your life to MAKE TIME for your workouts. When I started to get back into shape, I found a gym that was open 24/7 and 3 minutes drive from home. There was absolutely no excuse I could find to miss a workout. My current gym is 20 minutes away with shorter hours, but I find the time to get there and do my stuff! [/B][/QUOTE]

You're right, there is no excuse. Excuses are easy, getting motivated is hard, but once you get there you can't for the life of you remember why you could'nt find an hour out of your day to get up off the couch. My gym in NY was a few blocks from my house. Now I live in GA and have to drive 20 min. to get there. But the best is, when you miss a workout you're actually bummed out for the rest of the day. You get so into it it's actually like a hobby.