PDA

View Full Version : Other Interests??

mainer001
02-22-2003, 07:31 AM
Being new to this board I was wondering what everyone does besides bodybuilding. I am a flyfishing addict and spend every weekend wading my favorite river flyfishing. This poses a new problem for me because I have read that this type of fishing can burn up to 300 calories per hour and I tend to spend up to 10 hours a weekend, every weekend in the summer flyfishing or guiding other fishermen. Since I am trying to gain mass this will probably pose a calorie deficit. Does anyone else have a hobby or job that poses a problem during periods of mass building and how do you handle it?

Thanks.

Kelly
02-22-2003, 10:29 AM
I to like fishing . I am only a worm (real ones) fishermen .
I like to go to a nice place take something to eat take out my 22 pistol and plink at targets not live ones .Just get out in the woods and near a river . I got my fishing gear ready can't wait .I am from Western Pa. so its been a tough winter I can;t handle ice fishing .
My son is into Fly Fishing .He makes his own rods and flies etc...
He said he's teach me how but I'll stick to my worms .

TwoWalks
02-22-2003, 10:53 AM
Black powder - Archery - Atlatl throwing and Lawn Mower Racing:)

Eye2_Man
02-22-2003, 11:47 AM
Fishing sounds good. Been a long time. Doesn't sound at all like you do the same kind of fishing though. Burning 300 calories an hour doesn't sound like you are bringing enough beer on your fishing trips.

TwoWalks, you really race lawn mowers? That rig in the picture looks like a supped up ATV sort of.

I like to play golf as much as possible. At least once a week and 2 or 3 times a week at the practice tee. Have to get a pull cart this year. Other hobby is astrophotography and astronomy. No calories burned, but quite frustating.

Anomeley
02-22-2003, 11:50 AM
I fish a lot. In fact its tough for me when spring arrives all the way through late fall to remain as active in the gym (but I do) because I love to fish so much.

Hibiscus09
02-22-2003, 11:59 AM
That's a big fish. :)

gbat
02-22-2003, 12:23 PM
I have a home studio with a Digital Audio Workstation. I love playing guitar and recording.

Write poetry at times, paint at times. I embrace Christianity, study the philosophy of others not necessarily from books. I am into world affairs, like comedians if they are funny and not just filthy.

I used to fish with my dad in Minnesota every year. Waleyes and Northern Pike, Perch, and an occasional Muskie. Best memories of my life, daddy died when I was 13. Went fishing in Yellowstone a couple years back. Backpacked 30 miles, lived off the fish, avoided bears. Used squirrel-tails only. Beautiful!

My Grandbabies are my main interest at the present time. Yes, they can get in the way of everything else including bodybuilding, but they are well worth the interruptions. Snotty little granddaughter kisses are hard to resist! :D

back2it
02-22-2003, 12:41 PM
I build a number of race engines for a few people and hang around at race tracks , oval tracks , and dragstrips . Nice clean air good for the lungs LOL

Hibiscus09
02-22-2003, 12:42 PM
My life is: keeping up with husband, kids, the house (making sure they're all bathed & wearing clean clothes & feeding them, i.e. laundry, cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, various errands & chaperoning) exercising, eating right, reading a lot, devotional each night, prayer, sleeptime. :)

Plus, we travel occasionally.

GLAlexander
02-22-2003, 01:09 PM
Golf, reading, softball, history, and watching movies

MiloMan
02-22-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by mainer001
Does anyone else have a hobby or job that poses a problem during periods of mass building and how do you handle it?
Yes, bicycling. I deal with it by eating more food.

TwoWalks
02-22-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Eye2_Man
TwoWalks, you really race lawn mowers? That rig in the picture looks like a supped up ATV sort of.

Eye2 man: yep thats my newest thing. The one pictured above is set up for off road. Here is one from on the track.

Hibiscus09
02-22-2003, 01:35 PM
That looks like a blast, TwoWalks! :)

kendo
02-22-2003, 01:41 PM
I go and watch football every weekend and shout my head off !(and no its not called soccer) we play it with our feet and we invented it!!! Not throwing an oval ball around and calling that football!

Just went 12 points clear at the top today :D

TwoWalks
02-22-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Hibiscus09
That looks like a blast, TwoWalks! :)

For me it started out as a joke - then I found out there is actually such a thing:) Great part is that there are classes for the race, from Stock to Fx... Stock class is just that, the way it comes from the factory without the cutting blade - speed about 5 miles an hour, great for learning. The fx class is all sorts of changes with a speed around 65 miles per hour.

There is besides the oval track racing, drag racing, off road racing and a race in England each year that is a Lemans style 24hr race.

Hibiscus09
02-22-2003, 01:47 PM
Sounds like fun Kendo -- I love football -- but it's the kind that's played with the brown pigskin ball shaped kind of ovaly with points on each end -- LOL. GO GAMECOCKS!!!!

LateStart
02-22-2003, 02:27 PM
I spend 8 hrs a day on my duff as a computer geek so I took to exercise and nutrition as a hobby, especially after the angioplasty.

Went snowboarding for the 1st time this year. It's the only thing to do in eastern PA in the winter!

Other than that, it's maintenance on the cars, skateboards, bicycles and house. This summer I want to mountain bike and just generally get out, meet other people and enjoy life more.

Viola
02-23-2003, 07:38 AM
Gardening, Working out, and driving my MINI.

Hibiscus09
02-23-2003, 08:21 AM
Oh, I forgot gardening -- I love doing that.

Cute car, Viola! I love the color. :)

Brother Phil
02-23-2003, 08:45 PM
Two Walks,
We used to have an anual lawn mower race around my neighborhood when I was a young kid. My dad never won. They only had a stock division.

As for me I love woodworking, and I play a baaaad blues harmonica.

tracyb555
02-23-2003, 08:54 PM
You mean people have other interests besides this board and weight lifting? LOL! Actually, I love running (of course, you already knew that), reading, theater (watching, not acting!), movies and being with friends/family.

CROWLER
02-23-2003, 10:27 PM
Since I am trying to gain mass this will probably pose a calorie deficit. Does anyone else have a hobby or job that poses a problem during periods of mass building and how do you handle it?

Thanks.

Do triathlons count?

It is tough but I compete in 225lb and OVER weight class so I REALLY have to eat.

I also do some racing with my little red sports car. :)

Here it is:

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/crowler151/lst?.dir=/Car&.src=ph&.view=

iluvlifting2001
02-24-2003, 07:37 AM
I am about to build a new house so all my time is spent prepping the land on the 6 acres I am building on.

TwoWalks
02-24-2003, 08:37 AM
Since I am trying to gain mass this will probably pose a calorie deficit.

:D interests, hobbies and other activities do not cause calorie deficits - our diets when too low on calories cause deficits. How to handle it, EAT MORE:)

mainer001
02-24-2003, 08:56 AM
TwoWalks,

I kind of figured that I will need to eat more but right now I am eating 3500 to 3900 calories a day and not gaining weight. I am going to give my system a couple more weeks to adjust to lifting and the caloric intake and if I don't start to gain I am going to have to up the calories. I just reduced my weight from 190 to 164 and I think my metabolism is set on speed burn so hopefully a little more time will slow it down.

It's just I eat mostly real food in about 6-7 meals a day and I do not know how I can physically eat much more then 4500 calories a day which I may have to do during the summer. Probably will have to start drinking a couple of gainer shakes to fill in the extra calories.

Thanks for the replies.

Gatorvrx
02-24-2003, 09:06 AM
Yes, mountain biking, softball, and racquetball. No wonder I eat like a pig!

giantfan43
02-24-2003, 03:22 PM
I used to golf alot and play alot of softball ... now, I'm mainly chasing my 6 and 4 year olds around ... I coach soccer (oops kendo .. football) and little league so really that's all I do .. and chase my beautiful wife around too !!! .. guess that burns some calories (when she lets me catch her LOL!) ... I like to ski and ice skate and am starting to do that now with my kids but I wouldn't call them hobbies or anything...

Gollum
02-24-2003, 03:57 PM
I like to collect stuff.My main interest is comic books.I have been a collector since I was 5 years old.I still have some of the books I bought for a dime.How they escaped my mothers wraith,I dont know.I dont collect new books,I focus mainly on the 80s and 60s.Although I will buy some new stuff just for reading material.I have more comics than I care to admit.

I also collect toys.Stuff like Transformers,Godzilla,Inhumanoids,any kind of Spider-Man toy,all sorts of action figures and movie monsters like Alien,Star Wars creatures,etc.

And if you hadnt already guessed,I am really into Lord of the Rings and collect fantasy artwork and various pieces related to the trilogy.

Big enough dork for ya,or do you want to hear about Magic:The Gathering and Dungeons and Dragons? :D

Hibiscus09
02-24-2003, 05:16 PM
You would love my son's room, Gollum. The walls & ceiling are painted with a mural that gives the illusion you're on the inside of a space ship looking out at planets & stars. It also has Luke Skywalkers space ship flying across space shooting at the Death Star which is about half blown up. It is done with a mixture of some regular & some flourescent paint. It's pretty cool when you drive up from outside -- you can see the paint glowing from the street. There is also this big space ship thing made out of what I guess is something like paper mache (but pretty fancy looking) that just hangs from the ceiling. It's all pretty cool! :) You can also see earth when you lay on his bed & there is a hurricane out in the ocean.

My son really loves Lord of The Rings also.

Gollum
02-24-2003, 05:24 PM
Sounds like a great room,and you sound like a great Mom for giving it to him :D

Hibiscus09
02-24-2003, 07:22 PM
He's a great kid!

Belle
02-24-2003, 07:39 PM
as well as home decorating, which used to be something I enjoyed but half way through renovating a 1910's villa is proving to be getting monotonous now.

I will always love cross stitch though except I have to wear a leather thimble now since damaging my valuable stitching thumb tip. It's numb and sometimes I don't feel needle injuries like I should. I am currently stitiching a the front of an old three story victorian house and the front is sliced off so you see the rooms inside. It's on 22 count aida so it will no doubt probably take a while. I'm doing the kitchen first as it has the old cast iron range in it and it looks neat. Guess I'll have lot's more time whilst resting my knee to do this now...LOL!

Belle
02-24-2003, 07:51 PM
but I haven't had it framed yet...

Hibiscus09
02-25-2003, 05:13 AM
That is so cute, Belle! One of my sisters cross stitches a lot & she's given me several -- a really pretty fairy with beads intertwined in the pattern; a huge one full of different garden flowers, bees & birds; and, a really pretty victorian looking lady. I just love them!