PDA

View Full Version : Rotator cuff excercise's

Macattack
02-21-2003, 07:56 AM
Does anyone do them and have they noticed any mearsureable strength increases?

Talked with a guy in the gym the other day and he was doing this funky looking excercise, asked him and he said they were for the rotator cuff and they were great, he had alot less pain in his shoulders since he started doing them, BUT when he first started doing them he pulled the tendin and with 10 pounds on the cable machine after that he had no problems.

I have had some pain there in the past and still just a tinge now and then but i do feel some weekness in that area especially my left side so may start doing these and see if they help.

little lats
02-21-2003, 08:04 AM
I do them as a warm up; a trainer I know modified some of them so they put more focus on the Rotator. Her way really helped. As far as strength? I don't know if mine are stronger, But I don't have the burn I use to have. Nothing wrong with a little warm up to protect them..

iluvlifting2001
02-21-2003, 08:07 AM
I use to have problems with my rotator cuffs until I started doing exercises. Windmills and one in which you have your arm bent like a L (In the postion like the start of military pressing). Lower the weight to the front holding the L position till your arm does not rotate forward any then go back up (5 pound weight should do).

As far as the strength increase, I would say yes. Since I have not had to worry about my joint giving out 3/4's down, I would say I have made great gains.

Macattack
02-21-2003, 08:33 AM
Yeah i was thinking warm-up also lats, hey thats funny Iluv he does windmills also after the cuff excercises....

MiloMan
02-21-2003, 08:38 AM
RC work is a smart thing to do, helps prevent injuries.

MagicMel
02-21-2003, 10:16 AM
Here's a link that might help:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/dorian1.htm

Hibiscus09
02-21-2003, 10:48 AM
I use bands but the movements are basically the same as the movements in Dorian's article. I think they've helped a lot with my rotator cuff problem. :)

Macattack
02-21-2003, 07:44 PM
Thanks Magic didnt know he had an article on this

Charger
02-22-2003, 07:21 AM
rotator cuff exercises, absolutly!! I do them as a warm up on chest day or shoulder if I do them seperate. I too have noticed my shoulders don't ache like they used to. Start at a REALLY low weight. I use DB's, started with 5's. I use 10's now.

HankC
02-23-2003, 09:57 PM
I'd definately recommend them too. I haven't really seen any strength gains but my shoulders feel as good as they did 15 years ago after doing 'dorians' exercises for about a month (I usually have recurring tweaked/popping shoulders).

As the poster above said, don't be bashful about using 5 pounders to start - these exercises aren't easy, especially if you're rehabbing a hurt shoulder.

haromoses
02-24-2003, 12:55 AM
I've had rotator cuff tendonitis and had to undergo physical therapy. I've been doing r/c exercises for the past 2months and it's certainly helped.