PDA

View Full Version : Trying to gain (II)

mainer001
02-21-2003, 06:26 AM
I want to thank everyone concerning my previous post. It was very informative and I'm glad I decided to join in. I am tinkering with my creatine by adding it to my post workout whey shake. I am then drinking half of my juice then getting into the shower. After my shower I am finishing the juice and then 10 minutes later I am eating an orange. opefully this will create a greater insulin spike.

In regards to my food intake here is a sample taken from the last 2 days logs.

3680 calories, 53% carbs, 28% protien, 19% fat
3900 calories, 54% carbs, 27% protien, 19% fat

Am I on the right track concerning my intake? Should I tweak with the percentages to get more protien or should I just leave it alone?? I am consuming approx 1.5 grams of protien per lb of bodyweight.

I really appreciate all of your help and look forward to telling of my progress.

CROWLER
02-21-2003, 08:16 AM
You might want to post this at the end of your first post. That way we will remeber what your goal, body weight etc are and be able to answer better.

mainer001
02-21-2003, 09:07 AM
My goal is to gain muscle mass while maintaining my bodyfat percentage. I presently weigh 164 lbs which is what I weighed 2 weeks ago when I finally got my butt in gear and started lifting again. I went from approx 190 lbs to 164 through a lot of cardio and a complete overhaul of my diet. Before the change my big veggie was french fries. I am now eating a balanced diet as well as logging all of my food intake to see what works and what doesn't.

Well for two weeks I have not gained a pound though I do feel that I have probably reduced some body fat. I am doing compound excercises (squat, bench, lat pulldown, military press, and bicep curls) to gain mass. I am doing 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps per excercise asa way to get some general conditioning before I start increasing weight, decreasing reps, and increase the number of sets. This workout came out of an Ironman mag and it was meant for building mass. I lift 3 times per week. I do abs 2-3 times per week and do approx 2 hours of cardio each week.

My main goal is to get my bodyweight up to 180-185 lbs by the end of the year without increasing my bodyfat percentage.

My question is have any of you had similar problems or is this really a problem. I know patience is a virtue so I will stick with it but any help on my diet would be a real help.

Thanks.

MagicMel
02-21-2003, 10:06 AM
If part of your goal is to maintain your BF%, I might suggest you drop some carbs and add some good fat. Maybe go for a 40/30/30 (C/P/F) while keeping your protein at 1.5-2gms per LBM.
Use flax oil to increase fat intake, too.
Your conditioning training looks good, but maybe add a couple sets of deadlifts. That way you'll be conditioning with the "Big 3".

Nuclear
02-21-2003, 10:12 AM
You may want to try 40-30-30 instead of 50-30-20. Just a thought. And get those quantities from whole foods not powders. Try it, you've got nothing to lose. I would also suspect that your total intake is a little on the high side. Just be careful and watch that bf%.

If you've only been lifting for two weeks, you've definitely got to give it more time. It'll take a few months just to get your CNS in line with what you're doing to your body; you should see some pretty good strength increases along the way during this time. The mass will come.

And like mel said, do Deads- SLDL or sumo or standard, doesn't matter. Drop the bicep curls, you don't need to do those yet, especially if you can't do pullups.

CROWLER
02-21-2003, 11:10 PM
You say you want to gain muscle and keep the same amount of fat. If you are happy gaining 10 lbs in the next 6 months I say this is possible.

If however you are looking to gain as much muscle as fast as possible I believe you are better off gaining fat and muscle. A ration of 2lbs of muscle to 1 pound of fat will give your optimal gains of muscle.

Then your metabolic rate is raised you lower your calories and lose the fat while maintaining the muscle by doing it with diet and VERY little if any cardio.

mainer001
02-22-2003, 07:17 AM
Thanks everyone. I am still pretty new to this nutrition stuff. The lifting part I am much more comfortable with. I talked with my aunt who was in the medical field and she told me to just give my body time to adjust to the new demands created by building muscle. Patience will be the key.

Nuclear: What is CNS?

Charger
02-22-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by CROWLER

If however you are looking to gain as much muscle as fast as possible I believe you are better off gaining fat and muscle. A ration of 2lbs of muscle to 1 pound of fat will give your optimal gains of muscle.

I agree, if you want max muscle gains, you have to be willing to add some fat. Personally going into spring/summer I am more concerned about getting bf down.
As for eating a orange after taking creatine, thats a no no. Citrus is not a good idea. Orange juice is a no no so I would guess the same would be true for eating a orange.

mainer001
02-22-2003, 07:34 AM
Thanks Charger,

That makes sense so to be safe I will switch to an apple and eat the orange later in the day.

CROWLER
02-22-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by mainer001

Nuclear: What is CNS?

Central nervous system. It seems there are many who are starting to think this is what causes over training more than working a muscle too often, I believe this. BUT this is highly debatable.

Charger, I don't eat oranges around my creatine intake but who knows one day I might have and it would have been a mistake. Thanks for the info.