PDA

View Full Version : Two more easy beginner questions

Eye2_Man
02-20-2003, 10:30 PM
These ought to be easy for ya'll...

1) Warm up sets - Suppose your plan is to do 2 sets of a particular exercise with 6 reps each set. The first set you do will be 90% of your best. The second set will be 105% of your current best. Should you do a warmup set first? At what percent of the first set would you do it at?

2) Reducing calories by 500 a day is supposed to lose you 1 pound per week, right? Does that take into consideration the cardio exercises you do (burning off 250 cals per day with exercise (bike, step-machine, walk, run, etc.).

Belle
02-21-2003, 01:03 AM
2) Reducing calories by 500 a day is supposed to lose you 1 pound per week, right? Does that take into consideration the cardio exercises you do (burning off 250 cals per day with exercise (bike, step-machine, walk, run, etc.).

I dunno about the first question, but I DO know that if your just dieting, you need to cut back 500 calories. However, if you do cardio, you only need to consume 250 calories less per day. Because you should never consume 500 calories less than you need at anytime and that 500 calories can consist of calories that you burn "above" the normal every day calories (i.e. cardio) OR calories that you drop in intake of food. If you ate 500 calories less AND did cardio, then you are creating a deficit of 750 calories and over and this can stall weight loss.

As for warming up, I'd do it every time, no matter what percentage of my best I was doing.

ctgblue
02-21-2003, 04:52 AM
I would do a warmup set with 40-50% of max
1 set of 8-10, followed by a good stretch
You need to have blood flow to the muscles when pushing heavy percentages
1 for strength
2 to help prevent a muscle tear
3 to help lubricate connective tissue

Eye2_Man
02-21-2003, 07:59 AM
Thanks. Both make sense.

CROWLER
02-21-2003, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Eye2_Man
These ought to be easy for ya'll...

1) Warm up sets - Suppose your plan is to do 2 sets of a particular exercise with 6 reps each set. The first set you do will be 90% of your best. The second set will be 105% of your current best. Should you do a warmup set first? At what percent of the first set would you do it at?

IMO as far as warm up it is always different for me. Depends on so many things such as time of day, temperature of the gym if I am sore from previous workouts, how much sleep I got, if I am carb depleted. No way I could just say ok 2 sets of warm up at x% of max.

I warm up on the bike for 5 minutes do 5 minutes of rotator cuff exercises VERY light.

Then start my warm up specifically for that exercise. One day it may be 2 sets the next time it might be 4 sets.

My concern is being fully warmed up. THen I try to beat what I did in the previous workout for my worksets.

Nuclear
02-21-2003, 10:00 AM
1 lb = 453 g

1 g of fat has ~9 kcal

so 1 lb of fat has ~4100 kcal.

The tried and true equation of "calories in < calories out" is indeed the way to approach this; that means there's two ways to change the equation: reduce the food you eat, or increase the calories you spend. I think saying that 500 kcal as a hard and fast rule is misleading, though.

There's a couple of good tricks to optimize the process. The first is to do your cardio in the morning before your first meal. The second (this works best for me) is a TKD-type diet with a biweekly carbup.

Don't forget that dropping bodyfat while maintaining muscle is a slow process, and requires some experimentation. If you try it too fast.. well....

CROWLER
02-22-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Nuclear
1 lb = 453 g

1 g of fat has ~9 kcal

so 1 lb of fat has ~4100 kcal.

The tried and true equation of "calories in < calories out" is indeed the way to approach this; that means there's two ways to change the equation: reduce the food you eat, or increase the calories you spend. I think saying that 500 kcal as a hard and fast rule is misleading, though.

There's a couple of good tricks to optimize the process. The first is to do your cardio in the morning before your first meal. The second (this works best for me) is a TKD-type diet with a biweekly carbup.

Don't forget that dropping bodyfat while maintaining muscle is a slow process, and requires some experimentation. If you try it too fast.. well....

Nuclear where did you get the info on how many grams in a kilo and how many calories in a pound of fat?

Your numbers disagree with what I always thought was accurate?

Thanks