PDA

View Full Version : Keto diet and bloated???

ranchan
02-20-2003, 04:52 PM
I started Keto on Monday. I'm 38 years old, 6'1, 220 around 14% bodyfat. I have never had a problem getting lean. However I've never experienced a keto diet. Sooo I started monday and by wednesday I was down to 212. Obviously this is due to loss of water from lack of carbohydrate. However the strangest thing is happening. I look totally bloated. In fact I feel like I look fatter than I did at 220. My abs still showed slightly at 220 and now they are washed out. My legs look the same. What is the problem? I'm doing plenty of cardio and my ratios of P/F/C is solid. Is this just my body adjusting to the lack of carbs. I have never depleted carbs before. Thanks for any input.

RC

Hibiscus09
02-20-2003, 05:56 PM
Are you eating fibrous vegetables like broc****, etc.? My body really bloats from those when I'm eating low carb -- at least at first. It's getting more used to them now.

ranchan
02-20-2003, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the reply. No I'm not eating alot of broc****. Or should I say I'm not eating anymore than I always have. May I should qualify the bloat. I'm not neccessarily bloated as much as just totally smooth. More smooth than when I was 220. 8 lbs of water loss has typically made me look pretty cut (alcohol or other diuretic induced water loss) in the past. But this coniciding water loss with smoothed out definition is puzzling. I welcome any other replies or ideas. Thanks.

Belle
02-20-2003, 06:36 PM
Just wondering if you are in ketosis properly...have you checked with ketostix?

MiloMan
02-21-2003, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by ranchan
I have never had a problem getting lean. However I've never experienced a keto diet.
I have a question:

If you had never had a problem getting lean without a keto diet - why did you do the keto diet this time?

little lats
02-21-2003, 07:29 AM
I feel bloated by the end of the day. But in the mornings I feel really lean. This week is the first week I have felt a fat feeling even though the calipers were my friend. I don't know what it is, maybe fFit can chime in. I know I notice body changes on Keto then on a regular diet.

ranchan
02-21-2003, 11:25 AM
I'm doing a keto because I've read on these forums that people are retaining more muscle and feel better on Keto that the normal cutting diet. Thanks

RC