PDA

View Full Version : Missing muscles for women?

tracyb555
02-20-2003, 02:48 PM
I have a copy of "Strength Training Anatomy" by Frederic Delavier and really like it. Recently, saw a new book at Borders by the same author called "Women's Strength Training Anatomy". I leafed through it, thinking it might be a worthwhile read, but apparently, they think that women don't have as many muscle groups as men, because the Table of contents only reflects the following:

Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Buttocks
Chapter 2. Legs
Chapter 3. Abdomen
Chapter 4. Back

Hmm... guess I can stop working chest, shoulders & arms - those must be men's muscles (LOL!!!) Seriously, I was disappointed, since the quality of the other book was so good.

You can read more about it on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0736048138/qid=1045779948/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-9173518-3324840?v=glance&s=books

The first customer who reviewed the book apparently agrees with me. I added a review of my own.

little lats
02-20-2003, 02:53 PM
5. Breasts (now you have the complete women)

MiloMan
02-20-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by little lats
5. Breasts (now you have the complete women)
But they aren't muscles - just fat that sits on top of the pectorals.

Belle
02-20-2003, 04:07 PM
maybe a guy wrote the book and he likes it when women just work those areas that most appaeal to him? I.e.

Buttocks, Legs , Abdomen, Back

I mean why would he want her to have bigger biceps than him or smaller firmer chest for that matter!

Typical!!! LOL!!!!!

tracyb555
02-20-2003, 04:40 PM
Not sure why it is laid out like that.

If I didn't think so highly of the original book, I would think it is another book of the rip-off variety ("Thinner thighs in 90 days", "Flat Abs", "Butt Buster") that panders to women's insecurities about those trouble areas and hints that spot reduction is possible.

Or perhaps it ignores muscle groups that would make a woman fear "Getting Big & Manly Muscles".

In either case, the omissions seem to perpetuate the myths that prevent many women from getting the right kinds of workouts.

gbat
02-20-2003, 07:41 PM
I roll played with myself, and through sheer theatric genius turned myself into a male pig guy. And then the answer came out like a beer belch:

Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Buttocks
Chapter 2. Legs
Chapter 3. Abdomen
Chapter 4. Back

Baby making muscles!

In character-->By golly, that's what females are made for and that's all they should concern their pretty little heads about! :eek:

Then I pulled myself out of that roll, vowing to never return. :D

Belle
02-20-2003, 08:49 PM
Had I known all this before I HAD babies gbat... I think it would have beaten the pants of the $i$$y ante natal classes that's for sure... I mean lying down and breathing and all that stuff... never did understand exactly what use that stuff was when I was in absolutely agony...

LOL! Your a guy you may not understand... Here is the nearest I can get... I could kick ya in the nut's and then ask you to "not to forget to breath big slow deep breaths," but I don't think ya would relax somehow... ;)

Maybe you should just stick to role play? :)

MiloMan
02-21-2003, 01:54 AM
A strong woman with a strong back, strong legs, a strong back, and strong abs will have a much less stressful pregancy and delivery (and recovery!) than one that is weak in those areas.

Sometimes, Alan Alda-ish guys knee-jerkedly "run to women's defense" (as we saw above) when they don't need any help, proving that they are just as sexist as the stereotype that they portrayed...

little lats
02-21-2003, 06:49 AM
I guess 1-3 are the ones you here women complain the most about. I don't know many women who worry about their back.

Yes, I think I have figured out Breasts are fat, Believe my wife has been telling me that for years. :D

MiloMan
02-21-2003, 07:42 AM
The strong back is a huge help when a woman is in the last trimester; all that weight out front can cause the "swayback" effect with a weak lower back.

little lats
02-21-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by MiloMan
The strong back is a huge help when a woman is in the last trimester; all that weight out front can cause the "swayback" effect with a weak lower back.

Yah, I couldn't imagine>... Lol

gbat
02-21-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by MiloMan
A strong woman with a strong back, strong legs, a strong back, and strong abs will have a much less stressful pregancy and delivery (and recovery!) than one that is weak in those areas.

Sometimes, Alan Alda-ish guys knee-jerkedly "run to women's defense" (as we saw above) when they don't need any help, proving that they are just as sexist as the stereotype that they portrayed...

Thanks, MiloMan, Alan Alda is one of my favorites. What a roll model for us knee-jerks! Please forgive me for defending women when they don't need it. That is quite a crime. Sorry ladies if I offended you.

As for calling me sexy, I'm not used to men calling me that, but being an Alan Alda type I will not look down on you. :p :D

BTW, it was a joke.

Belle
02-21-2003, 01:50 PM
Your dead on the money with the back thing. I think a lot of men are not aware of the weight we DO actually carry. The baby is only 7-8 lbs of it on average and then you have amniotic fluid, placenta and the size if the uterus itself, plus the added fat we put on when we slow down towards the last three months. I mean it isn't as if you can carry that round for a day and then get a 5-7 day rest from it...lol! Sleeping is quite cruddy too if you like sleeping on your tummy like me and you cannot lie on your back because of the cut off in blood supply in the final months. So you wriggle from one side to the other all night and even THEN depending which way the baby sleeps, you lucky if it sleeps on a side that is condusive to you sleeping on YOUR most comfortable side--otherwise little sod's kick you in the rib's all night. :)

By nine months, you well and truly want this thing out.... no matter what pain.

So strengthening the back, and abs and pelvic floor would work wonders actually to helping you cope with all that.

TwoWalks
02-21-2003, 02:13 PM
Well normally when I walk through a swamp and see an area that looks like quick sand, I try to avoid it, but what the heck: :)

All the benifits of women carrying child for 9 months are sound benifits and I think that more women should be educated to that knowledge. I wonder because Tracy did not say, is this book and the inspiration behind the book "Women and Pregnancy" or as the title reflects:
"Women's Strength Training Anatomy". Would seem to me if the purpose of the book is Women's Strength then leaving out areas like Chest, shoulders and arms leaves a whole lot to be desired.

tracyb555
02-21-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by TwoWalks
Well normally when I walk through a swamp and see an area that looks like quick sand, I try to avoid it, but what the heck: :)

All the benifits of women carrying child for 9 months are sound benifits and I think that more women should be educated to that knowledge. I wonder because Tracy did not say, is this book and the inspiration behind the book "Women and Pregnancy" or as the title reflects:
"Women's Strength Training Anatomy". Would seem to me if the purpose of the book is Women's Strength then leaving out areas like Chest, shoulders and arms leaves a whole lot to be desired.

No, the book is not specific to pregnancy. I think the discussion took that direction because we were wondering why they included "back", while excluding other muscle groups. My original point was that the book leaves a lot to be desired. I think I'll just stick to the original book "Strength Training Anatomy" (which, by the way, pictures both men and women working the previously mentioned omitted muscle groups!)

gbat
02-21-2003, 05:02 PM
Tracy,

Sorry I diverted the thread with my little tongue-in-cheek joke about pregnancy and the book. It went over like the Hindenburg. I keep forgetting I am not at work where people humor my over-active and under-skilled sense of humor. :)

tracyb555
02-21-2003, 05:30 PM
gbat - we'll let it slide this time, but watch out next time ;)

Actually, having a strong lower back would definitely be useful during pregnancy.