adamqaz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question How would you train for the UFC?

what kind of training would i have to do to be fit for the UFC?

Dopamine_ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dopamine_ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dopamine_ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dopamine_ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dopamine_ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dopamine_ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dopamine_ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dopamine_ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dopamine_ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dopamine_ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dopamine_ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    UFC is tough stuff, man. honestly, few few few people can ever make it no matter how hard they work. that being said, find some good schools and trainers. bust your ass, start out at small local shows and pray for the best.

Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Senecan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Be prepared to spend at least 15 hours a week in the gym...at least
    "When you're not in the gym, someone else is; and they will beat you."
    "If it was easy, everyone would do it."
    "Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
    "The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender."
    “To be number one, you have to train like you’re number two”

Jan 1st: 227 @ 16%
    Jan 7th: 223
    Jan 14th: 217
    Jan 21st: 216
    Jan 28th: 214
    Feb 4th: 213

Registered User dethmetalanimal's Avatar
    dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dethmetalanimal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by adamqaz View Post
    what kind of training would i have to do to be fit for the UFC?
    find a good mma gym in your area, then do lots of cardio.

coolness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) coolness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yep. Your going to want to learn Muy Thai Boxing, any kind of grappling, and Jiu-Jitsu and Judo. Most people underestimate Muy Thai boxing... but it will teach you VERY important things for UFC fighting.
    Push-ups- 500
    Chin-ups- 80 to 100
    Dips- 150
    Clapper push-ups- 80

You want to try it?

NorthBay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorthBay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorthBay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorthBay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorthBay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorthBay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorthBay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorthBay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorthBay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorthBay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NorthBay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    go 2 the batting cage and take the balls to the dome.

Prepare Perform Prevail SuicideGripMe's Avatar
    SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SuicideGripMe is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Well first, you gotta actually train and get good. Youre goal is too high thou bro. Its like a high school football player asking how to go pro. Its just not practical, train and concentrate on getting good, then worry about amateur matches, then worry about pro, then worry bout the big shows.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=180003183&p=1635918623#post1635918623
    New Shanghai Log!

"225, 315, 405 whatever. Yeah these benchmark digits come to mean a lot to us, the few warriors in this arena. They are, however, just numbers. I'm guilty of that sh*t too, waiting for somebody to powder my nuts cuz I did 20 reps of whatever the **** on the bench. Big f*king deal. It is all relative." G Diesel

DarinK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DarinK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DarinK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DarinK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DarinK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DarinK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DarinK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DarinK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DarinK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DarinK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DarinK is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Ask this question in the MMA forum.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    First master Karate or TKD, then do something better and harder that benefits from that base, like BJJ and Muay Thai, and then do crazy conditioning and a lot of sparring and heavy bag and pad work and compete and stuff.

Doing some point-sparring first might help as well, even though it's very different, might be safer.

superfreakiest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superfreakiest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superfreakiest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superfreakiest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superfreakiest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superfreakiest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superfreakiest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superfreakiest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superfreakiest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superfreakiest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superfreakiest has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You don't have to train 15 hours a day, that's BS. Maybe 4-5 hours max. Rest is important too.

This is a good challenge to get you started for say the first 6 months of training:

1. Find an MMA gym in your area. Which one? Find out who is putting on the local MMA shows. Go to a show or look up info about it on the web. See what gyms the fighters are from. Talk to fighters. Find the gyms in your area, go to each, ask questions.
    2. The gym should teach at least (Brazilian) Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Boxing and MMA (combines disciplines). Also if they have Yoga, wrestling and other things that is a plus. Classes should be in morning and evening.
    3. Find out who the instructors are. The Jiu-Jitsu should be a black belt awarded from a known black belt (you should ask/google lineage). The Muay Thai, boxing guys should have notable fight experience.
    4. Once you have a gym take the BJJ class 2-3x per week and the MT class 3-4x per week. Throw in boxing occasionally.
    5. Lift weights 30-60 minutes 4 times per week. (note that many good mma guys are fit but not huge)
    6. Do 30-60 minutes extra cardio (elliptical,treadmill) 4 times per week.
    7. Do sprint routines 3x per week.
    8. Do 30 minutes core routines 3-4x per week. (I alternate with cardio).
    9. Jump rope 15 minutes. Be creative and set goals, alternate feet, roam around, double up, use high knees, etc.

That should be a good start for your 1st 6 months. You will be having full contact jiu jitsu and possibly some MT ring work. If you stay on track you will be feeling and seeing the results.

Also:
    1. Don't get injured.
    2. Don't burn out. Stay motivated and on-goal.
    3. Eat nutritious with higher carbs.
    4. Read some BJJ and MT instructional books/videos.
    5. Learn from other people in the classes.
    6. Take a day or two off occasionally to rest.
    Last edited by superfreakiest; 12-25-2006 at 01:28 AM.

Talking

Originally Posted by superfreakiest View Post
    You don't have to train 15 hours a day, that's BS. Maybe 4-5 hours max. Rest is important too.

This is a good challenge to get you started for say the first 6 months of training:

1. Find an MMA gym in your area. Which one? Find out who is putting on the local MMA shows. Go to a show or look up info about it on the web. See what gyms the fighters are from. Talk to fighters. Find the gyms in your area, go to each, ask questions.
    2. The gym should teach at least (Brazilian) Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Boxing and MMA (combines disciplines). Also if they have Yoga, wrestling and other things that is a plus. Classes should be in morning and evening.
    3. Find out who the instructors are. The Jiu-Jitsu should be a black belt awarded from a known black belt (you should ask/google lineage). The Muay Thai, boxing guys should have notable fight experience.
    4. Once you have a gym take the BJJ class 2-3x per week and the MT class 3-4x per week. Throw in boxing occasionally.
    5. Lift weights 30-60 minutes 4 times per week. (note that many good mma guys are fit but not huge)
    9. Jump rope 15 minutes. Be creative and set goals, alternate feet, roam around, double up, use high knees, etc.

That should be a good start for your 1st 6 months. You will be having full contact jiu jitsu and possibly some MT ring work. If you stay on track you will be feeling and seeing the results.

Also:
    1. Don't get injured.
    Thanks man you have just told me what i needed to hear.

hre_m3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hre_m3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hre_m3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hre_m3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hre_m3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hre_m3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hre_m3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hre_m3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hre_m3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hre_m3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hre_m3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Stay away from

Tae Kwon Do and Karate. Waste of time and money IF YOU ARE trying to do MMA and compete in MMA.

Trust me, I speak from personal experience.

Go to a reputable MMA school, you are going to have to shell out some $$$ if you want to learn from the best (i.e professional fighter trainers and gyms that have trained current champions).

MMA schools with train you in Muay Thai (Stand-up) Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (Ground game) and then have teach you how to utilize both at the same time.

Good luck mang.

thanks 4 the heads up man

I throw spinning sh*t HardGainer82's Avatar
    HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HardGainer82 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    He said 15 hours a WEEK.

That being said, great post.
    "The sun is always gonna rise, and always gonna set and I'll just keep on punching because everyday is gonna bring something different and I just want to be ready for it."
    - Jens Pulver

If you refer to a fighter who you've never met in real life as "my boy" as though their performance somehow reflects well on you for simply being a fan, you're a lame ass.

Shaok353 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shaok353 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shaok353 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shaok353 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shaok353 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shaok353 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shaok353 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shaok353 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shaok353 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shaok353 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shaok353 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey, i train for MMA, NHB and have been for quite awhile and i have to say that previous post was great, although i dont feel stress was put enough on certain areas. Differnt corners will get you to emphisize on differnt aspects, such as BJJ, or sambo(note that sambo will only really be useful in NHB competitions, and usually not amature do to the stricter rules), or Muy Thai. My personal experience is to focus more on the grappling aspect. Ive fought people who i was a lot better striker than grappler, and when they take you to the ground and lock up on you and work their hips on you, the most you can do is wait out the clock and pray that they let their hips slip and you can grapple your way out of it. I dont think ive ever seen a striker do well on the ground come to think of it.
    Injuries are the worst thing that can happen to you and whats good about them is most of them are preventable. Your head is precious, dont ever train with out a head gear, ever. Competition is the only time you should be with out it. It doesnt take too many concussions to perminitly mess your head up. I actually have a slight stutter now from not following this piece of advice and getting 5 concussions through out my breif training time.
    Tapping out in training. Do it. Dont walk on and try to be a hard ass and impress your coach and your partners. If they have you in an armbar or choke, and your not getting out of it, tap out, theres no shame in that during practice. You will only set yourself up for failure if you do this. Cortozone shots suck, and you'll pretty much get addicted to them if you let your tendents get screwed up trying to be a hardass. Thats not cool.
    Strength training should mostly stick to Core training in my own opinion, but not stating as a fact. If you want to keep up with weights, your best off doing a live spar, find out where your weak muscles are, then figuring out the way your moving in reistance to them, and strengthing them that way. doing benchpresses from a laying on a bench isnt going to help you much, but doing bench a "decline" benchpress while laying flat on the ground so to speak is going to help you with being in the guard.
    Explosive cardio is the cardio you need to train for as well, i generally like to keep my cardio after my training, then alternate between explosive and and endurance.
    I cant think of too much more to add right now because im not a great teacher, but if youve got more questions, i can probably answer them, feel free to PM me or post on the forum or something.

oh, and incase you missed the part up there, protect your head, and always wear your cup

rustysurf83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As far as strength training goes like the above post says core is very important. Concentrate on compound free weight exercises. A lot of people say high reps for MMA to build endurance, personally I don't subscribe to that train of thought. I do usually 2 sets of 8-12 stopping one rep short of failure and then upping the weight and doing between 4-6 reps to failure. As far as the martial arts aspect is concerned again MMA is a very big commitment. A typical day, seven days a week, for me is weight training from 0700 to 0800, cardio from 1200 to 1300 and then MMA specific training from 1630 to 1830 (we have a boxing coach come in one day a week, a jui jitsu guy once a week, a muay thai night, a greco guy once a week, and a free form once). You may not want to train seven days a week, however, I do since my job requires me to be away from any semblance of a gym or training for one week every fourth.
    You know I'm training to be a cage fighter Gosh Napolean

brandon82911 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy tae kwon do

so taking taekwondo would not be a good thing to head off the mma direction

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by brandon82911 View Post
    so taking taekwondo would not be a good thing to head off the mma direction
    responding to a 6 year old thread would not be a good thing either, but you went ahead and did it anyway.

Dwilson50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dwilson50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dwilson50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dwilson50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dwilson50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dwilson50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dwilson50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dwilson50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dwilson50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dwilson50 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dwilson50 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Also:
    1. Don't get injured.
    +Rep

Go Big or Go Home BoltsPrincess's Avatar
    BoltsPrincess is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoltsPrincess is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoltsPrincess is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoltsPrincess is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoltsPrincess is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoltsPrincess is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoltsPrincess is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoltsPrincess is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoltsPrincess is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoltsPrincess is on a distinguished road. (+10) BoltsPrincess is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    carbs. cardio. weights! <3 xo

jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000) jkdman81 is just really nice. (+1000)
    First of all the sport is called mma(mixed martial arts) not ufc....the ufc is only 1 company there are many different company but the ufc is the biggest.....
    Now if you want to compete start with develop rhe skills to do so
    Muay thai,bjj,boxing, and wrestling are the basic skills needed and its not so mich mastering each art but ho tou pur everythinf
    American College of Sports Medicine Certified Trainer
    (ACSM-CPT)

Aerobics & Fitness Association of America
    (AFAA-Certified PersonalTrainer)

Surprise yourself and unleash your potential!!!!!

my limits.... glove up and try to find them!!!!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=305434971&posted=1#post305434971

mrliftbig1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrliftbig1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrliftbig1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrliftbig1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrliftbig1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrliftbig1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrliftbig1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrliftbig1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrliftbig1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrliftbig1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) mrliftbig1994 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Dopamine_ View Post
    UFC is tough stuff, man. honestly, few few few people can ever make it no matter how hard they work. that being said, find some good schools and trainers. bust your ass, start out at small local shows and pray for the best.
    And be seen doing it !