Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Whats the difference between sumo deadlift and regular deadlift?

Besides using a wider stance thus decreasing distance.
    * MISC IT expert *
    * Ron Paul for president!! *

New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sumo style involves the hips more heavily. Some guys seem to be "naturally" better at sumo.. others conventional. And some say that you can be just as good at either if you train both rigorously.

Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Phenom01 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    In a sumo stance one can lift more that way?
    * MISC IT expert *
    * Ron Paul for president!! *

powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) powerlifter70 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Phenom01 View Post
    In a sumo stance one can lift more that way?

Depends on the person. I can lift way more conventional than I can sumo.

UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you're not deadlifting conventional, I find that a mawashi really helps.
    485/285/495 @ 200
    Ed Coan told me I had nice squat form.

lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000)
    I pulled about the same both ways, before my back went (herniated disks and tore erectors).

Sumo is a more "technical" way to pull. If you like to get really jacked, conventional will probably work better.

I also think (just my opinion) you can get more out of gear sumo. But still not a lot

(no homo is implied) keepemseparated's Avatar
    keepemseparated has a spectacular aura about. (+250) keepemseparated has a spectacular aura about. (+250) keepemseparated has a spectacular aura about. (+250) keepemseparated has a spectacular aura about. (+250) keepemseparated has a spectacular aura about. (+250) keepemseparated has a spectacular aura about. (+250) keepemseparated has a spectacular aura about. (+250) keepemseparated has a spectacular aura about. (+250) keepemseparated has a spectacular aura about. (+250) keepemseparated has a spectacular aura about. (+250) keepemseparated has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Which is considered easier to do in the PL world?

KES
    "Ignore the ramblings of the ignorant, and step on or over their crumpled bodies as you make your way to the top of the mountain. Eat upon their flesh for fuel and through your determination and will, banish them to obscurity anda life of complacency and self righteousness that is the hell in which they live."

-Richard Safreed

New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by keepemseparated View Post
    Which is considered easier to do in the PL world?

KES
    This will vary from person to person. PLers, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that a big squatter (as compared to his deadlift) will typically be able to pull more with a sumo stance.

lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000) lifterg is just really nice. (+1000)
    Smaller/leaner guys tend to do more sumo. If you have too much stuff in the way, it is harder to get into a good starting position.

It depends on how the good squatter is built. Some good squatters have long torsos and shorter arms and legs. They typically have to lean too far forward to get a good starting position.

You are right in that a sumo uses muscles more like a squat. My sumo stance and squat stance are pretty much identical.

f00t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f00t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f00t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f00t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f00t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f00t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f00t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f00t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f00t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f00t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f00t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    i thought that many smaller guys used sumo because they do not have enough leverage and most bigger guys used conventional because they have enough leverage to of set some of the weight.

wilwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) wilwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) wilwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) wilwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) wilwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) wilwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) wilwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) wilwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) wilwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) wilwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) wilwn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    most of the best deadlifts of all time were done convo. konstantinovs, bolton, benni all did theirs convo.

fatdaddy67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatdaddy67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatdaddy67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatdaddy67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatdaddy67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatdaddy67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatdaddy67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatdaddy67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatdaddy67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatdaddy67 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fatdaddy67 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    This article explains the differences fairly well:

http://primallifter.com/comparing-su...nal-deadlifts/

It also details who should sue which style based on torso and arm length.

DaviMack is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaviMack is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaviMack is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaviMack is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaviMack is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaviMack is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaviMack is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaviMack is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaviMack is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaviMack is on a distinguished road. (+10) DaviMack is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I only pulled conventional its how I was told to do it once I started going sumo about 2 months ago at 1st I felt crazy doing it but after doing a whole 531 cycle I lift more doing sumo im going to say it will add to everyones its just better for me im sure there are people whole learned sumo and switched that lift more

socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000) socket is a name known to all. (+5000)
    That's a huge thread bump

BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by fatdaddy67 View Post

Skimmed it, but will study it later. Reps brah, thank you.

Personally, it's always felt right to do more of a sumo stance than conventional. Conventional doesn't look or feel natural to me at all, so I rarely do it.

I also avoided squatting until I saw/read about wider stance squatting(never thought of it until someone showed me xD), now I'm addicted to it.

Anyways, conventional feels like it hits my lower back a lot more than sumo ever does. Sumo hits my glutes/hips more than conventional.

SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by fatdaddy67 View Post

thanks for bumping a FIVE YEAR OLD THREAD
    ***Georgia Crew***