squatist_cm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squatist_cm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squatist_cm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squatist_cm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

BB row vs. Lat pulldown

On my back day I do both BB row and a wide grip lat pulldown. I do BB row first before i do the lat pulldown. For my sets of lat pulldown i do 140lbs. but for my bb row i only do sets of 125lbs. I know this is probally not a big problem at all but i was wondering isn't it supposed to be the other way? Arn't you supposed to be able to do heavier Bb rows than lat pulldown. For the lat pulldown i make sure it isnt a arm dominiated exercise and focus lots on the contraption in my lats. For bb row i do the same thing except i notice my arms tend to give out just a bit more, and the one problem is my foearms or my grip really gives out. For bb rows i use an overhand grip that is quite narrow where my elbows are close to my body. As well i do more of a Yates row for my rows. It could be a form problem but i believe my form is quite good. Unfornenetly i dont have any videos to get any feedback for my form. This below is my workout of my back day.

Deadlifts
    BB rows
    Lat pulldown
    Cable rows

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Squat: a suggestion: when I work my back, I work from top to bottom....

the reason for this order, is that as you travel downwards the spine, there is a greater likelihood of injury or more of a need to warmup.....

if you reverse the order, by time you do deads, your entire back AND your body is quite warmed up lessening the chance of injury and deads can give you layoff type injuries........

so: you might try this order of your exercises:

1. lat pulldowns- upper lats/teres

2. cable rows- mid lats

3. bent over rows- as you described, for lower lats

and then,

4. Deads......

try it!

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    my pulldown has always dominate my bar row... id say its normal ... coleman rows like 450lbs and i wouldnt be surprised if he pulls down 700
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

squatist_cm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squatist_cm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squatist_cm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) squatist_cm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanx John im gonna have to try to work my back in that order and see how it works. It makes sense and sounds like a good order

10TonBrick is just really nice. (+1000) 10TonBrick is just really nice. (+1000) 10TonBrick is just really nice. (+1000) 10TonBrick is just really nice. (+1000) 10TonBrick is just really nice. (+1000) 10TonBrick is just really nice. (+1000) 10TonBrick is just really nice. (+1000) 10TonBrick is just really nice. (+1000) 10TonBrick is just really nice. (+1000) 10TonBrick is just really nice. (+1000) 10TonBrick is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MrSinister View Post
    my pulldown has always dominate my bar row... id say its normal ... coleman rows like 450lbs and i wouldnt be surprised if he pulls down 700
    i read that he only reps with 300 on lat pulldowns, then again i did read this in flex
    Chew Crew
    MFC

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by RoidRage300 View Post
    i read that he only reps with 300 on lat pulldowns, then again i did read this in flex
    haha, even i've done more than that.. id very conserveratively say he can at least do 2x what i can
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    haha, even i've done more than that.. id very conserveratively say he can at least do 2x what i can
    Lat pulldown machines seem to very in how heavy the weight feels. 300lbs on one machine can feel heavier or lighter on another machine. You both would have to use the same machine to make a comparison. Not to mention, you would have to use the same technique.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Talking

Originally Posted by JOHN GARGANI View Post
    Squat: a suggestion:

LOL!!...

John, when I first read that...

I thought you were telling him to squat for his lats......

I thought to myself NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Not John G....he's turned to the darkside!!
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000)

Talking

Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    LOL!!...

John, when I first read that...

I thought you were telling him to squat for his lats......

I thought to myself NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Not John G....he's turned to the darkside!!
    LOL!!!

Squats & Milk!!!
    *ROAR*

Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by squatist_cm View Post
    On my back day I do both BB row and a wide grip lat pulldown. I do BB row first before i do the lat pulldown. For my sets of lat pulldown i do 140lbs. but for my bb row i only do sets of 125lbs. I know this is probally not a big problem at all but i was wondering isn't it supposed to be the other way? Arn't you supposed to be able to do heavier Bb rows than lat pulldown. For the lat pulldown i make sure it isnt a arm dominiated exercise and focus lots on the contraption in my lats. For bb row i do the same thing except i notice my arms tend to give out just a bit more, and the one problem is my foearms or my grip really gives out. For bb rows i use an overhand grip that is quite narrow where my elbows are close to my body. As well i do more of a Yates row for my rows. It could be a form problem but i believe my form is quite good. Unfornenetly i dont have any videos to get any feedback for my form. This below is my workout of my back day.

Deadlifts
    BB rows
    Lat pulldown
    Cable rows
    lol I like to focus on the contraption in my lats as well

ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000)

2. cable rows- mid lats

and then,

4. Deads......

try it!
    Very interesting. I always do my heavy exercises first thing (Deads, Squats, Bench, etc), then hit the other stuff. I don't know if I would have enough energy in the tank to complete a good Dead workout if I save them for the end. I just do a lot of stretching to warm up the muscles.
    "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38,39

"You've got more definition than a dictionary." -me

Current Ignore List (for consideration's sake :D ): Ancients, ImproperOne, A-GAME

Febs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Febs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Febs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Febs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Febs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Febs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Febs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Febs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Febs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Febs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Febs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You do realise that not every machine has the same leverage etc. It depends on how many pullys, their size, their position etc. so 70kg on one machine could feel like 100 on another
    Prolab

www.prolab.co.uk

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz

2. cable rows- mid lats

and then,

4. Deads......
    Not a fan of that approach John. You're doing the most physically and neurally demanding exercise, last, after 3 other back exercises. It's a power lift, you want to make solid progress on it, so why do it after you've hammered all your upper back muscles? Why not hit it when you're fresh and can generate more power? And if you're not going to treat it as a power lift then you'd probably be better off doing rack pulls instead.

I've never had any problems warming up for deads by starting with 135 no matter how light it feels, doing several warmup sets and slowly adding weight (i.e. a plate a side each set). If you're really paranoid about injuring your lower back on them you could always start with a few sets of hypers/back extensions.

I've gotten the best results by doing rows and chins on a different day to deads and doing deadlifts first in a workout. Just my 2 cents.

braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Gotta agree with Dom here.

I definitely warm up by doing a bit of jogging, some stretching and then like 1x8 for 135 lbs on DLs and then maybe another warmup after before going to the sets.

As for BB rows and lat pulldown... trash the lat pulldowns for pullups/chins and do both.

ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000) ElderJefferson is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_ View Post
    Not a fan of that approach John. You're doing the most physically and neurally demanding exercise, last, after 3 other back exercises. It's a power lift, you want to make solid progress on it, so why do it after you've hammered all your upper back muscles? Why not hit it when you're fresh and can generate more power? And if you're not going to treat it as a power lift then you'd probably be better off doing rack pulls instead.

I've never had any problems warming up for deads by starting with 135 no matter how light it feels, doing several warmup sets and slowly adding weight (i.e. a plate a side each set). If you're really paranoid about injuring your lower back on them you could always start with a few sets of hypers/back extensions.

I've gotten the best results by doing rows and chins on a different day to deads and doing deadlifts first in a workout. Just my 2 cents.
    This whole post echoes my sentiments. I'm not opposed to trying something new, but I just don't see how putting deads at the end is beneficial.
    "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38,39

"You've got more definition than a dictionary." -me

Current Ignore List (for consideration's sake :D ): Ancients, ImproperOne, A-GAME

oldmanmarley is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldmanmarley is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldmanmarley is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldmanmarley is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldmanmarley is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldmanmarley is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldmanmarley is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldmanmarley is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldmanmarley is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldmanmarley is on a distinguished road. (+10) oldmanmarley is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'd be very reluctant to do unsupported rows after deadlifts because I go hard on deadlifts and my lower back wouldn't be able to handle it. But I think a few warmup sets would be enough to ward off injury in most cases and deadlifts are an exercise for which I need a lot of energy, so I have to do them first. My solution: do deadlifts on leg day.

Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Coleman doesn't row 450. He RDLs 450 with a little bit of arm action thrown in somewhere. What I'm trying to say here is, his form sucks.

flex Magazine June 2008 spirit3530's Avatar
    spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Agreed

just for numbers
    Cha Cha Cha

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    see Dom, I look at it from the opposite approach: from a bodybuilding point of view, I look at the other movements as more important in how they will impact what you actually look like, as compared to Deads......

I would rather give preference to that which flairs out my back in this case....

besides: some of the muscles used in assisting dead lifts are not used in the preceding Lat movements, so , I see it as a fresh approach EVEN though they are last! ( your legs, your knees, your hips, etc......your lower back and core muscles, etc)

the other movements are more lat, teres, rhomboid type muscle related, with little stress on the core or lower body......

I see DEADs as an accident waiting to happen, and has happened to far too many people......being totally warmed up can never hurt......

a slight pull from cable rows or pulldowns, might mean a little discomfort for a day or two, and you will be doing another workout next week...an injury in Deadlifts can translate into lengthy or sometimes even career ending layoffs.....

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    see Dom, I look at it from the opposite approach: from a bodybuilding point of view, I look at the other movements as more important in how they will impact what you actually look like, as compared to Deads......

I would rather give preference to that which flairs out my back in this case....

besides: some of the muscles used in assisting dead lifts are not used in the preceding Lat movements, so , I see it as a fresh approach EVEN though they are last! ( your legs, your knees, your hips, etc......your lower back and core muscles, etc)

the other movements are more lat, teres, rhomboid type muscle related, with little stress on the core or lower body......

I see DEADs as an accident waiting to happen, and has happened to far too many people......being totally warmed up can never hurt......

a slight pull from cable rows or pulldowns, might mean a little discomfort for a day or two, and you will be doing another workout next week...an injury in Deadlifts can translate into lengthy or sometimes even career ending layoffs.....
    John, then why do deadlifts at all if you think they're high risk and not worth giving priority in a routine?

It's not like you don't have options. For bodybuilding, rack pulls make more sense as a back exercise. Less complicated, you're not at risk of stiff-legging the weight off the floor, so it's inherently safer. RDLs, pull-throughs, and GHRs, are other options for the glutes and hams. You can also do hypers/back extensions to specifically target the lower back. Shrugs safely take care of the traps. Squats take care of the legs. So why deadlift then?

If anything, doing them last leaves you more vulnerable. You're tired, your concentration isn't as sharp, and you can't generate as much power off the floor which leaves you more vulnerable IMO.

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    John, then why do deadlifts at all if you think they're high risk and not worth giving priority in a routine?

It's not like you don't have options. For bodybuilding, rack pulls make more sense as a back exercise. Less complicated, you're not at risk of stiff-legging the weight off the floor, so it's inherently safer. RDLs, pull-throughs, and GHRs, are other options for the glutes and hams. You can also do hypers/back extensions to specifically target the lower back. Shrugs safely take care of the traps. Squats take care of the legs. So why deadlift then?

If anything, doing them last leaves you more vulnerable. You're tired, your concentration isn't as sharp, and you can't generate as much power off the floor which leaves you more vulnerable IMO.
    Deads done later, as John suggests, would best be done in a bodybuilding context, not powerlifting...

which means somewhat higher reps at a lesser weight.

You should concentrate on ALL exercises, and if you are feeling weak or somehow physically or mentally disoriented, you shouldn't do ANY exercise which challenges that.
    Time To Re-Schedule

Originally Posted by Tyrbolift View Post
    Deads done later, as John suggests, would best be done in a bodybuilding context, not powerlifting...

which means somewhat higher reps at a lesser weight.

You should concentrate on ALL exercises, and if you are feeling weak or somehow physically or mentally disoriented, you shouldn't do ANY exercise which challenges that.
    Makes no sense to me. Why put the most demanding exercise last? Would you put squats at the end of your leg workout?

More to the point, why do them if you're only after the bodybuilding benefits, especially if you think they're only fit to be done last? I listed some options (rack pulls, RDLs, hypers, pull-throughs, GHRs, shrugs, etc.), all of which will get the job done with less risk involved.

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Makes no sense to me. Why put the most demanding exercise last? Would you put squats at the end of your leg workout?

More to the point, why do them if you're only after the bodybuilding benefits, especially if you think they're only fit to be done last? I listed some options (rack pulls, RDLs, hypers, pull-throughs, GHRs, shrugs, etc.), all of which will get the job done with less risk involved.
    First of all, squats is not a good analogy because they are not as a complete workout, being much more quad dominant and not overall body used.

I can see deads being done last if you are weak in lats but strong in overall back thickness and leg strength. It is viable under certain conditions and goals.
    Time To Re-Schedule

Originally Posted by Tyrbolift View Post
    First of all, squats is not a good analogy because they are not as a complete workout, being much more quad dominant and not overall body used.

I can see deads being done last if you are weak in lats but strong in overall back thickness and leg strength. It is viable under certain conditions and goals.
    Where the legs are concerned, and the lower back especially if you're squatting more like a powerlifter, squats blast most of the body.

Anyway, people are free to do what they like but doing deads last is a bad idea in my book. Why do them half-assed at the end? It's a power lift. Give it the respect it deserves. Put them up front. If you want to focus on rows and chins then do them on a separate day, scheduling deads for a lower day for example, or alternate them with heavy squats.

I mean seriously, what's the point of doing them with light weight when you're fatigued? They're not going to do **** for back thickness if you're not using a lot of weight and you won't make much progress on them if you're always compromising. Once again, as a bodybuilder you have options.