Thread: muscle growth

mr cole has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

muscle growth

So if I understand correctly you have to lift until complete failure to achieve muscle growth.
    Here’s an example of what I do, is it ok?
    140 pounds
    3x12
    160 pounds
    3x10
    180 pounds
    2x7
    200 pounds
    1x3 (complete failure)

stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000)

Originally Posted by mr cole View Post
    So if I understand correctly you have to lift until complete failure to achieve muscle growth.
    Here’s an example of what I do, is it ok?
    140 pounds
    3x12
    160 pounds
    3x10
    180 pounds
    2x7
    200 pounds
    1x3 (complete failure)

You can curl WAY more than I can...!

/hint, hint

namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) namtrag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    don't see where he said he was curling.
    Yorkshireman I: Right! I had to get up in the morning, at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill and pay mill-owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our dad would kill us and dance about on our graves, singing Hallelujah!

Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50) Aquilius will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thats the "hint" about. 200lbs x 3 for BB curls would be great. For a deadlift it wouldn't be remarkable.

you have to lift until complete failure to achieve muscle growth.
    Wrong.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...=pubmed_docsum

Both Failure and Non-Failure resulted in similar gains[...]. Failure group experienced larger gains in the maximal number of repetitions performed during the bench press. The peaking phase after Non-Failure resulted in larger gains in muscle power output of the lower extremities, whereas after Failure it resulted in larger gains in the maximal number of repetitions performed during the bench press. Strength training leading to Failure resulted in reductions in resting concentrations of IGF-1 and elevations in IGFBP-3, whereas Non-Failure resulted in reduced resting cortisol concentrations and an elevation in resting serum total testosterone concentration. This investigation demonstrated a potential beneficial stimulus of Non-Failure for improving strength and power, especially during the subsequent peaking training period, whereas performing sets to failure resulted in greater gains in local muscular endurance.
    Regards,
    Aquilius
    Last edited by Aquilius; 12-17-2006 at 03:06 PM.

What about if in some other exercise I don’t have the necessary weight.
    Is it ok to use?
    For example: 70 pounds
    5x25
    4x18
    Until complete failure
    Is it still good?

carbkilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carbkilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carbkilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carbkilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carbkilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carbkilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carbkilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carbkilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carbkilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carbkilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carbkilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Don't go to failure, it puts a big strain on your nervious system and it's not nessassary.

CK
    Language and writing were also made available, the poetry of Khitai, the philosophy of Sung; and he also came to know the pleasures of women, when he was bred to the finest stock.

rallen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rallen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by carbkilla View Post
    Don't go to failure, it puts a big strain on your nervious system and it's not nessassary.

CK
    I agree. I use to go to failure in my training on every set in the past. But recently, using the 5x5 program, I only go to failure on the last set. I have seen much better results.

greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10) greggamma is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up Me too...

Originally Posted by rallen View Post
    I agree. I use to go to failure in my training on every set in the past. But recently, using the 5x5 program, I only go to failure on the last set. I have seen much better results.
    Yeah, I do the 5x5 and usually fail on the 4th or 5th set. I do notice that the mass and strength go well but for me the stamina dropped down. All the other jocks talk, and rightly so, whatever ups your testoterone and growth hormones is great. Diet and supplements did not seem to work any miracles but natural drugs in my body did. I can see why others go to steroids to meet heir goals. From what I have read and experienced you get growth doing any muscle group but to get a nice systemic bump in those levels squat, bench and deadlift. I even tried the non-taditional methods but whatever makes you reach deep, push hard works well.

Sorry about my ignorance, but 5x5 does it mean 5 sets of 5 repetitions?
    And do I increase weight after every set?

stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000) stahlhart is just really nice. (+1000)

Sorry about my ignorance, but 5x5 does it mean 5 sets of 5 repetitions? And do I increase weight after every set?
    That's correct -- but I think that the weight stays consistent for all of the sets done. I think that the idea is to go for the most challenging weight that you can, but still get five reps out with good form.

/at least that's the approach I try to take

Oregonian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oregonian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oregonian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oregonian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oregonian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oregonian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oregonian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oregonian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oregonian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oregonian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oregonian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There are as many opinions on what causes hypertrophy as there are programs. All work to some degree. Keep reading and learning. I personally believe in HST which in short is a full body workout done every other day with progressive loading on both weights and reps dropping as the weights increase.

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have to disagree with a couple of you. Going to failure for me, is an absolute must, but when your workouts are intense, it is necessary to listen to your body to know when to back off a little, using Periodization. But, if I do back off, it is not much and it isn't more than 1 workout.

On all of my bodyparts, I go to failure every week at some point.

Also, in my personal experience, the more conditioned you are, the easier you adapt and overcome going to failure.
    Last edited by Mark1T; 12-18-2006 at 05:48 PM.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

I’m still wondering if even with lighter weight I can still grow by using more rep?

Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I’m still wondering if even with lighter weight I can still grow by using more rep?
    I've been reading that theoretically, to grow, for however many reps you do, you need to be lifting somewhere near the 80 to 85% of your "one rep max". That is, if you were to just try to lift the load one time, how much could you lift... take 80% of that and you have found the minimum you want to work with if you want to grow bigger.

Now, first thing is DO NOT run out and load up the bar to some huge number of pounds and try to figure out what your max is... never do that unless you are warmed up and have a spotter. (What really happens is, you never technically find out what your one rep max is, because you have always warmed up before trying it.)

I've been doing this for two years now, and have not maxed out yet... At my age I think it is kind of dangerous to "max out" working alone in my basement. So what I do is make an educated guess as to what my one rep max is, by deternining how much I can lift either three sets of 10 or, say like the guys that are doing 5x5 and failing on the last set... I would guess that the weight you can lift 5x5, failing on the last set will get you really close to the 80% range. I test that every now and then by going for say just three reps... can get pretty close that way.

Just my un-educated $.02

Dan
    Last edited by Hey-Iwas51; 12-19-2006 at 02:50 PM.
    I am amazed how my body has been able to change... It's design truly is a wonder. King David realized that some three thousand years ago...
    "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:14 NIV

Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000) Bob45 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yes, there are many ways. As long as you keep progressing. Shoot for increases somehow. Reps, weight, shorter rest.

glvfmly is on a distinguished road. (+10) glvfmly is on a distinguished road. (+10) glvfmly is on a distinguished road. (+10) glvfmly is on a distinguished road. (+10) glvfmly is on a distinguished road. (+10) glvfmly is on a distinguished road. (+10) glvfmly is on a distinguished road. (+10) glvfmly is on a distinguished road. (+10) glvfmly is on a distinguished road. (+10) glvfmly is on a distinguished road. (+10) glvfmly is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I Always Heard, More Reps= Definition And Strength, More Wt = Mass And Strength?....
    LIFE BEGINS AT 40!!!

Originally Posted by glvfmly View Post
    I Always Heard, More Reps= Definition And Strength, More Wt = Mass And Strength?....

thats interesting

Teacher and Bodybuilder BergMuscle's Avatar
    BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The "rule of thumb" that I've heard, and used with good results, is 3-5 reps builds strength, 5-8 reps builds mass, 8-12 reps builds endurance.

Having said that, Cole, do what you can with what you got. Like Bob45 said, as long as you increase what your doing, you will see progress. Just that some combinations of weight/reps/sets tend to produce different results.

My $0.02.

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You have to experiment with different rep routines and different exercises and set amounts, because what is good for me, may not be good for another.

This process can take months (or years, if you are not a member of the Over 35 Forum), but if you use a jounral, say in Excel, after approximately 2 months, you can analyze the data you have made, and you will be able to see where you made gains, where you maintained, and where you lost strength.

Using that data, you can make adjustments for your current and future workouts. However, the more conditioned you become, the deviations will change, as well. So, you will be regularly adjusting your workouts.

Note: If you do make a journal, you must commit, because if you start missing workouts or start not to eat right or not take in enough protein, then your journal will be skewed and meaningless. Try your best to keep the things you can control, to a constant.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

thanks guys.

Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000) Turboboy is just really nice. (+1000)
    Diet and cardio= more definition

If you can manage to turn your weight training session into a cardio workout by doing super sets etc. with very little rest, then yes, you will have more definition due to the added cardio benefit. Just doing high reps isn't going to do anything if you're resting five minutes between sets.

Rule of Thumb for reps rangesI didn't make these up)
    1-6 powerlifting or strength
    8-12 muscular growth
    12 and beyond muscular endurance

You just need to figure out what your goals are and use the rep range that applies. Of course, it's always a good idea to change things up frequently.

As for going to failure, I personally have never used that method too much. But there are different levels of failure. Failure is when you can't complete another rep without assistance from a spotter. Total failure is when you can't move the weight at all, even with assistance. I may, on occasion, go to failure but rarely if ever complete failure.

V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) V-240 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Arrow Flex

The other day I watched an old "Flex Magazine" show on HLC from 1993. Shawn Ray read a viewer letter that asked, "What is better for development? More sets, or more weight?" I liked his answer, "More sets, more weight, more food, more rest! More, more, more!!"

Pretty much says it all!