sb_cali is on a distinguished road. (+10) sb_cali is on a distinguished road. (+10) sb_cali is on a distinguished road. (+10) sb_cali is on a distinguished road. (+10) sb_cali is on a distinguished road. (+10) sb_cali is on a distinguished road. (+10) sb_cali is on a distinguished road. (+10) sb_cali is on a distinguished road. (+10) sb_cali is on a distinguished road. (+10) sb_cali is on a distinguished road. (+10) sb_cali is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Front BB Squat help

Okay - so I tried these for the first time today... I really liked the movement and could of handled quite a bit more weight, BUT the barbell on my shoulders was hurting. (gosh I feel like a wanker saying that)

What is the solution here? Or is this one of those exercises that one just has to use lighter weight and up the rep count?

Any ideas? By the way, I'm pretty sure I had the bar placement correct.

sb_cali
    "Never, never, never give up." ~ Winston Churchill

star4822 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) star4822 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) star4822 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) star4822 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) star4822 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) star4822 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) star4822 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) star4822 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) star4822 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) star4822 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) star4822 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Barbell on your shoulders? Wouldn't that be a back squat?

Buff bride to be imperfectly_lou's Avatar
    imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) imperfectly_lou is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Are you doing bodybuilding or powerlifting style?
    September 2006 - 9km Sydney Harbour Bridge Run - 45:25
    August 2007 - 14km City to Surf - 77:00
    September 2007 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - Withdrawn due to stress fractures :(
    September 2008 - Sydney Running Festival Half Marathon - 1:59.22
    May 2009 - Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon - 1:53:22

deeyala is just really nice. (+1000) deeyala is just really nice. (+1000) deeyala is just really nice. (+1000) deeyala is just really nice. (+1000) deeyala is just really nice. (+1000) deeyala is just really nice. (+1000) deeyala is just really nice. (+1000) deeyala is just really nice. (+1000) deeyala is just really nice. (+1000) deeyala is just really nice. (+1000) deeyala is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by star4822 View Post
    Barbell on your shoulders? Wouldn't that be a back squat?
    I was thinking the same

I've got a bruise on my shoulder blades the other day while i was squatting..

I didn't even realize that this part of my body could actually bruise

ms_moneypenny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what are you two talking about? Haven't you heard of front delts???

For me, Toweling up helps, but I think it's just one of those things. Feels good on the legs, sucks up top.

amandaPL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    at my gym we have this soft thing we can put on the barbell..and you dont feel a thing..its great
    "Bodybuilding is my passion that makes me feel like I am on top of the world. When I work out, my ambition is to push my body harder and harder every time to see how much it can take, how much pressure it can stand." ~Pauline Nordin

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I love front squats....but they dont love me, lol

actually I have only done them a few times but I know they are one of the best things out there...me, i already have squat butt so I NEED to switch over to front squats to get more thigh, less butt.

so why havent I switched?

because of the PAAAAAAIIIIIINNNNN, lol

seriously, they do kill the front delts, no doubt. I THINK the deal is that the first few times you do it the front delts are just sensitive but they get used to it after a few times

obviously using a pad or towel may help some

the rule of thumb, which sounds a bit odd but its true....if it feels like its choking you then you probably have the bar in the correct position
    "Humility comes before honor"

daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) daYDreAmErX has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Same here. It felt great doing them, I go deeper each time... But two days after, my front delt want to explode !!!
    Government is for slaves
    Free men govern themselves

BJJ + Navy log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=164870361

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sb_cali View Post
    Okay - so I tried these for the first time today... I really liked the movement and could of handled quite a bit more weight, BUT the barbell on my shoulders was hurting. (gosh I feel like a wanker saying that)

What is the solution here? Or is this one of those exercises that one just has to use lighter weight and up the rep count?

Any ideas? By the way, I'm pretty sure I had the bar placement correct.

sb_cali
    I know what you mean.

It is difficult to hold the bb on your shoulders during front squats.

You could try zercher squats:

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/exerc...rchersquat.htm

But I would just do hack squats instead. You can move your feet around more on the hack squat to hit your thighs exactly where you want.

The above is assuming you do regular back squats too.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

sb_cali is on a distinguished road. (+10) sb_cali is on a distinguished road. (+10) sb_cali is on a distinguished road. (+10) sb_cali is on a distinguished road. (+10) sb_cali is on a distinguished road. (+10) sb_cali is on a distinguished road. (+10) sb_cali is on a distinguished road. (+10) sb_cali is on a distinguished road. (+10) sb_cali is on a distinguished road. (+10) sb_cali is on a distinguished road. (+10) sb_cali is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post
    seriously, they do kill the front delts, no doubt. I THINK the deal is that the first few times you do it the front delts are just sensitive but they get used to it after a few times

obviously using a pad or towel may help some

the rule of thumb, which sounds a bit odd but its true....if it feels like its choking you then you probably have the bar in the correct position
    Yep! The front delts is exactly what I was talking about. Today they're pretty sore too. Hmmm....

I tried the neck roll/pad, but it wasn't long enough. I like the idea about using a towel .... that just might work.

It always drives me nuts when I find an exercise that I love, but have some weird problem with it. Like SLDL or regular deads. I want to go heavy, but the grip on the barbell kills my hands. (I don't like gloves and not sure if I should resort to wraps.. )

But - I do appreciate the help.. so THANKS everyone. I'll try a towel next time.

sb_cali

Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    Wow - I've never seen those before... pretty interesting. I like learning about those less popular exercises because you can bet you're going to get some odd looks in the gym... which is always fun.

I do like regular squats... I was just trying to mix it up a little because I tend to stay in my comfort zone and realize I'm probably limiting myself.

Thanks!

sb_cali