Future 700 Raw Bencher Roid Rage 526's Avatar
    Roid Rage 526 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roid Rage 526 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roid Rage 526 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roid Rage 526 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roid Rage 526 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roid Rage 526 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roid Rage 526 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roid Rage 526 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roid Rage 526 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roid Rage 526 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roid Rage 526 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Total Gym vs Free Weights

My friend just bought a total gym. He claims its better than free weights and I've told him that free weights are better to get stronger. Has anyone here used a total gym or know anybody that has? And if so, what kind of results?
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 205
    Raw Max Lifts:
    Bench: 385
    Squat: 355
    Deadlift: 430

*LIFT HARD & GET STRONG, OR DONT TRAIN AT ALL*
    *WHATEVER YOU DO, BE THE BEST YOU CAN, ALWAYS GIVE 100% OR ITS NOT WORTH DOING*
    *NEVER LET FAILURE BE PERMANENT, ONLY LET IT MOTIVATE YOU TO OVERCOME ANY OBSTACLES AND SUCCEED*

Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If he just wants an easy way to mildly increase strength and muscle size without having to learn good form, he made a good purchase. So, if he's a casual, I'd-like-to-be-a-bit-fitter-and-stronger sort of person, it's all good. Of course free weights are superior, but not everyone wants to go down that road.
    "A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand."

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    I heard Mariuz P. and Jesse Maurunde are using the Total Gym exclusivley to train for this years WSM....
    My Training Journal...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=608812

"Chris = Awesomeness" :)

Check out...

http://www.redpointfitness.com/

RProsser922 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RProsser922 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RProsser922 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RProsser922 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RProsser922 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RProsser922 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RProsser922 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RProsser922 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RProsser922 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RProsser922 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RProsser922 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Stabalizing a free weight is like the most signifgant thing in the work out.
    Height: 5' 7"
    Weight: 125/137lbs
    Bench: 130/160lbs
    Squat: 250/300lbs(Femur Parallel - Belt)
    Deadlift: 225/275lbs(Sumo - Over/Under Grip - Belt)

Before/After - Started end of December

AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AndrewHale is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Who told your friend that the Total Gym is better than free weights? Chuck Norris? Seriously, like everyone else said, free weights are the way to go for strength. I had a friend that used the total gym religiously for months, and honestly, I never saw one difference in his body.

You could probably get a good cardiovascular workout with it, though.
    Mr. Beer, handling a powerlifting hater - "You are living in a dream world. I bet you think Ronnie (Coleman) can beat down a dozen MMA champs and then do a lat spread and use the extra width to glide from building to building, right?"

USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) USMARINE8152 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    total gym hahahahahahaha everytime i see that **** on T.V I piss my pants laughing. Im sorry but ur friends needs to cowboy the **** up and lift some weights.

Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Chuck Norris is already permanently fit so why would you ask or listen to fitness advice from him? He isnt mortal!
    "Powerlifters put it deeper in the hole."
    "Screw genetics, I'll decide my own potential!"
    Kansas Powerlifters keep in touch here! "http://www.kspowerlifting.proboards104.com/"

Roid Rage 526 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roid Rage 526 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roid Rage 526 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roid Rage 526 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roid Rage 526 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roid Rage 526 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roid Rage 526 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roid Rage 526 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roid Rage 526 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roid Rage 526 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roid Rage 526 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My friend is convinced that whenever he hits a plateau with his strength he can over come it by taking a break from free weights and using the total gym for a while. Right now his max bench is 200. He wants to take a break from using free weights for about 3-5 months and then go back to free weights and be stronger then when he took the break. When my friend decides to go back to the free weights after 3-5 months of using the total gym he thinks his max bench will go up from 200 to around 250-260. Can anyone give information on if there is any truth to what he thinks will happen? I know its good to take a break after workin hard for a few weeks but I don't think he will get results like he is expecting to.
    Raw Max Lifts:

*NEVER LET FAILURE BE PERMANENT, ONLY LET IT MOTIVATE YOU TO OVERCOME ANY OBSTACLES AND SUCCEED*

b~rad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) b~rad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) b~rad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) b~rad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) b~rad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) b~rad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) b~rad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) b~rad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) b~rad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) b~rad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) b~rad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Well normally id say free weights are better..... but if chuck norris uses it then it must be the superior way! haha jk has anyone watched that infomercial all the way through? Theres this powerlifter who makes a guest appearance and its just this little old guy talking about how great the total gym is. then it shows a lil picture of him powerlifting in competition but the pics are taken from the side so you cant see whether he actually lifts big or not. the old guy then goes into how he does these body weight leg presses on the total gym to supercharge his squat! lol, i had to go change my underwear i was laughing so hard!
    STRONGMAN Competitor

weighted pull ups- 100X5 Wide grip70X8
    weighted dips-135X4 125X6
    Deadlift-585
    Farmers hold-295 each hand X32sec
    cg incline-265

32 full range pull ups

Yea those total gym commercials make me laugh too. I think its funny how chuck norris is like 60 and in the commercials it seems like they try to make him out to be this very strong guy. I would think even an average person, as far as strength is concerned, could pretty easily do their body weight with a lot of the movments they do in the commercials. I know some of the things might be a challenge to do your bodyweight with but not nearly as hard as these commentercials make it look.
    Raw Max Lifts:

PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Roid Rage 526 View Post
    I think its funny how chuck norris is like 60 and in the commercials it seems like they try to make him out to be this very strong guy.
    Chuck Norris is 66 and is a Korean War veteran. Do you really want to use him for exercise advice!

WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500) WowWeakForum is not very helpful. (-500)
    My friend just bought a total gym. He claims its better than free weights and I've told him that free weights are better to get stronger. Has anyone here used a total gym or know anybody that has? And if so, what kind of results?
    See, this is the great thing about the real world. As long as your friend is weaker than you, you can laugh in his face and poke fun at his 'total gym', and all he can do is...well, whimper I guess. If this is some 'internet buddy' or 'chat forum friend' then there is a problem. If he's dumber and less experienced than you he will win the argument, that's a promise.

Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mr Beer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Can anyone give information on if there is any truth to what he thinks will happen? I know its good to take a break after workin hard for a few weeks but I don't think he will get results like he is expecting to.
    I think you are right and he is wrong. Non-free weight activity is highly unlikely to push his bench up by 25%.
    "A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand."

New to the Iron Game SwampMaster's Avatar
    SwampMaster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SwampMaster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SwampMaster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SwampMaster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SwampMaster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SwampMaster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SwampMaster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SwampMaster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SwampMaster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SwampMaster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SwampMaster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    LOL LOL LOL!!!

Ha Haaaaaa!!!
    Height: 5"6' Weight: 195

Stats -----------------Gains (since joining)------Goals by April 07
    Bench: 365 Raw -------------(405 shirt)------------400
    Squat: 1st ME Raw 315 ------(455)----------------450
    DL: 1st ME Raw 365 ---------(425)-----------------500
    Total ------1045-------------(1285)---------------1350

tgfirefighter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

hahahahah

Maybe he could mix things up with the total gym and use the body bar while doing some pilates. If Marius uses the total gym (which i know, he won't) he would get his ass kicked off the planet.
    Power lifting is an addiction.