Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Thumbs up Squat width and quad size

For a long time I’ve been using a foot placement of a little farther than hip width and I’ve been able to squat for over 400lbs (hip breaks knee depth) with this stance. I strength train and lifting big weights makes me happy; my workouts consistent primarily off big compound movements (on starr's intermediate right now; see journal for details). I’ve been thinking about widening my stance to about shoulder width or maybe even a tad farther, which is a significant change; I’m the definition of an ectomorph and my hips are about 13 inches across while my shoulders are about 21 inches across. Here are my questions and concerns...

1) b/c my waist is so much smaller than my shoulders, wouldn’t a wider stance naturally aid me better?
    2) I understand a wider stance will allow me to squat more weight (yay!); however, it also takes emphasis off the quads. Also, since I will be squatting more weight, won’t that still stimulate the quads sufficiently? I mean, the ratio of weight distribution is lowered for the quads; however, the weight is higher. More or less, what I’m asking is this: Will the quads grow sufficiently? Although I care about weight more than size, it’s still a concern.

Thanks for all replies!
    Last edited by Random Guy; 12-18-2006 at 01:06 PM.
    Random Guy, Ph.D., Clinical Psychologist
    -Although I offer advice and information, I am not diagnosing or treating anyone
    with anything.

Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500)

Talking

I can actually squat more with a close stance, squatting olympic style. Today I got 315X2!!!!!!!!! A lot better than 315X2 1/4 squats on the smith machine like I used to do, eh!!!! Sorry just excited!

In regards to your question, I would use both wide and closer stance when you train. You will probably get better strength gains that way, rather than only squatting one way.

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    hmmm, they will still grow, but I must say using a wide I feel little if any quad being worked during squats and it's mostly hips and hamstrings, but trust me, your legs will still grow all over with a wide stance.

you probably have very strong quads or just really good form oly squatting (or ****ty form power squatting) smj, whatever 315 x 2 ATG is awesome!

still most people can squat more weight using hip dominant form, I say alternate between wide and narrow stances or warmup and work to narrow and then change to wide stance when the weight forces you to.
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    IMO...based on my own body and from observing powerlifters at meets

a wide stance will build the heck out of the outer quads....but it wont touch the teardrops...also of course it builds upper thigh/glute/ham

so you are correct, it will take some emphasis off the quads and put it onto the glutes/hips/hams

now some people say "squat close footed to hit outer thigh sweep"....I am not totally sure why they say that because you can go to ANY powerlifting meet...where they all squat wide...and basically you see plenty of guys with huge upper and outer quads....and no teardrops

if you squat wider you need to do a second move to directly hit the quads, especially lower quads....leg extensions, anything with the heel elevated like heel elevated db squats, leg press with feet close and on the bottom of the plate, hack squats with feet close and low etc
    "Humility comes before honor"

Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Random Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Well I already have big upper/out quads with a wimpy teardrop so I guess I have nothing to worry about lol. I actually put leg extensions into my routine last week to makeup for that. However, my gym recently got a front squat harness and I'm debating if i should make the switch; however, front squats may be too taking for my starr intermediate program.
    -Although I offer advice and information, I am not diagnosing or treating anyone
    with anything.

Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500) Lager1 is not very helpful. (-500)

Talking

[QUOTE=GoJu;13179130]

you probably have very strong quads or just really good form oly squatting (or ****ty form power squatting) smj, whatever 315 x 2 ATG is awesome!

QUOTE]

Thanks a lot...I know it's really weak compared to most powerlifters, but it's the best I've ever gotten.

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    [QUOTE=smj5351;13179481]
    Originally Posted by GoJu View Post

QUOTE]

Thanks a lot...I know it's really weak compared to most powerlifters, but it's the best I've ever gotten.
    with technique alterations I don't see why you couldn't be doing 335 or 350 using the power squat.

that aside, NOT many people normally squat ATG, let alone 315 plus for reps, that's good stuff!
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

beast69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beast69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beast69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beast69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beast69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beast69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beast69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beast69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beast69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beast69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) beast69 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If you find that to be the best stance for you, I'd stick with it and add in some front squats or olympic squats as accessory work.

good luck

Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    a wide stance will build the heck out of the outer quads....but it wont touch the teardrops...also of course it builds upper thigh/glute/ham
    The VMO shouldn't be neglected though, it helps with patella tracking. I know a few people whose lateral side of the thigh started to overpower their medial side and their patella started tracking wrong and caused inflammation. Although, this can easily be remedied with some front squats. Like you stated there are leg press and extensions, but front squats are far superior though.

Red face

Also, glance at the first post in http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=990594. if I were to do, say 2-3 sets of front squat, where would you suggest I throw it in? Day 3?
    with anything.