beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

soreness question

Hi,
    I have been meaning to ask this question. I did legs on tuesday and i felt a lil sore on wednesday but then yesterday thrusday I felt it even more. It seems that I really get more sore on the second day, is that how is suppose to be? Can I still do legs then? I know i have heard that as long as you have one whole day of recovery you can work out again...I am trying to do 2 days of legs and 2 days of upper body....I just wanted to get your opinions. I didnt do legs anyway, i just did cardio for 40 min. Split it in 2 sessions of 20.

98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    it is normal to feel soreness 2 days later instead of the next day.
    it is called DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness)It might not be a good idea to work your legs while they are still sore.

beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the reply....I might just wait, now today i dont feel the soreness and is day 3. So I will most likely do legs today...Thanks

amandaPL has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you deff shouldnt work your legs when they are sore..try to make a better workout schedule..split it up more instead of just doing legs and upper body..do your biceps/triceps..then quadriceps/hamstrings..chest/back..then thighs/glutes..you will get more progress working the specific body parts and you will be less sore..also are you drinking a post workout shake? this would really help you be less sore for your next workout..hope this helped
    "Bodybuilding is my passion that makes me feel like I am on top of the world. When I work out, my ambition is to push my body harder and harder every time to see how much it can take, how much pressure it can stand." ~Pauline Nordin

Originally Posted by amandaPL View Post
    you deff shouldnt work your legs when they are sore..try to make a better workout schedule..split it up more instead of just doing legs and upper body..do your biceps/triceps..then quadriceps/hamstrings..chest/back..then thighs/glutes..you will get more progress working the specific body parts and you will be less sore..also are you drinking a post workout shake? this would really help you be less sore for your next workout..hope this helped
    Hi amandapl.
    I try to eat something before my work out, I do a shake or I will have a 1/2 cup of milk and a rice cake. I think that may be a better routine, see I am doing one day upper the other lower and sometimes I might have to skip a work out and only do cardio do to my soreness.

stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It is actually okay for her to work out her legs while they're still sore. Lightly training them can help alleviate the soreness and even speed up it's recovery.

Originally Posted by beby24 View Post
    Hi amandapl.
    I think that may be a better routine, see I am doing one day upper the other lower and sometimes I might have to skip a work out and only do cardio do to my soreness.
    Your upper/lower body split should do you just fine. I personally do it too, training each muscle twice a week (which is said to be optimal...not under or overtraining) with sufficient non-lifting days in between.
    Last edited by stella summers; 12-22-2006 at 01:31 AM.

Lilbitt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lilbitt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lilbitt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lilbitt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lilbitt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lilbitt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lilbitt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lilbitt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lilbitt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lilbitt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lilbitt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't think it's a matter of if you can or not. If your goal is endurance then sure. But if you are trying to add size/muscle why would you? I do legs once a week for size and partly b/c I have DOMS for 5 days.
    Train Hard,
    Stay Strong,
    Believe.

stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) stella summers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Even then, it doesn't matter. She can still add size regardless of how many times she trains that muscle....just as long as she consumes excess calories per day. You obviously know this though.

I'm starting to ramble on with nonsense now....forget I'm talking.

ok, girls, i am all confused now...lol

Lilbitt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lilbitt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lilbitt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lilbitt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lilbitt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lilbitt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lilbitt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lilbitt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lilbitt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lilbitt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lilbitt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by stella summers View Post
    Even then, it doesn't matter. She can still add size regardless of how many times she trains that muscle....just as long as she consumes excess calories per day. You obviously know this though.

I'm starting to ramble on with nonsense now....forget I'm talking.
    Training a muscle too many times without addequate rest is called overtraining and leads to improper muscle recovery which in turn slows muscle growth.
    Train Hard,
    Stay Strong,
    Believe.

Originally Posted by Lilbitt View Post
    Training a muscle too many times without addequate rest is called overtraining and leads to improper muscle recovery which in turn slows muscle growth.
    You know what I meanttttttt.

Threadstarter, don't pay attention to anything I said.

I'm still 27 in hex :) Plato458's Avatar
    Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you're getting a lot of DOMS, try taking BCAAs pwo in your shake. Makes a huge difference to me and wouldn't train without it now. Seems to work for a lot of people.

No more Frankenstein monster walking or ooh-ahh arms

Good Luck
    Px
    Never Give Up Never Surrender ;-P

I did once and look what happened - 30% BF

skinnychubbyguy "Hole in my underwear... What is the purpose of the hole on the front? I mean they stitch up the other side, but they leave the one opening on the front open, wtf is the point? My balls don't get that sweaty to air out, and I don't pull my dick through it to piss or anything else, so is there a legit reason for this?"

Originally Posted by Plato458 View Post
    If you're getting a lot of DOMS, try taking BCAAs pwo in your shake. Makes a huge difference to me and wouldn't train without it now. Seems to work for a lot of people.

No more Frankenstein monster walking or ooh-ahh arms

Good Luck
    Px
    What is DOMS? and what is BCAA's. Sorry...I just dont know what they mean
    Last edited by beby24; 12-29-2006 at 07:15 AM. Reason: more info

Leanness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Well

DOMS is Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness - when you work out and your muscles hurt the next day. Mostly happens when you are starting a new workout or exercising different muscles.

Low impact aerobics or stretching will help. It means the muscles have torn a little bit - that's what we want them to do!

BCAAs are Branched-chain Amino Acids. They are leucine, isoleucine and valine. They're what people call "essential" aminos; your body can't manufacture them on its own and so it needs to get them from your diet.

Unlike most other aminos, your muscles use BCAAs for fuel, especially if you're doing a really long workout. That protects your muscles from being used instead.

soon2Bgoddess is just really nice. (+1000) soon2Bgoddess is just really nice. (+1000) soon2Bgoddess is just really nice. (+1000) soon2Bgoddess is just really nice. (+1000) soon2Bgoddess is just really nice. (+1000) soon2Bgoddess is just really nice. (+1000) soon2Bgoddess is just really nice. (+1000) soon2Bgoddess is just really nice. (+1000) soon2Bgoddess is just really nice. (+1000) soon2Bgoddess is just really nice. (+1000) soon2Bgoddess is just really nice. (+1000)
    I get DOMS EVERYTIME I workout!! And they last for DAYS! Me & my husband train Wed-Sun/ Arms, Back, Shoulders, Legs, & Chest & by the time we get to Sunday I hurt all over my body & I'm SO ready for 2 days off! My hubby is a BRUTAL training partner though
    ~ChaCha

"Say what you mean and act how you feel,
    because those who matter don't mind,
    and those who mind don't matter." ~Dr. Seuss

Firepower will become famous soon enough. (+50) Firepower will become famous soon enough. (+50) Firepower will become famous soon enough. (+50) Firepower will become famous soon enough. (+50) Firepower will become famous soon enough. (+50) Firepower will become famous soon enough. (+50) Firepower will become famous soon enough. (+50) Firepower will become famous soon enough. (+50) Firepower will become famous soon enough. (+50) Firepower will become famous soon enough. (+50) Firepower will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    DOMS is caused by microscopic tears in your muscle fibers during the eccentric part of an exercise.

Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000) Plato458 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by soon2Bgoddess View Post
    I get DOMS EVERYTIME I workout!! And they last for DAYS! Me & my husband train Wed-Sun/ Arms, Back, Shoulders, Legs, & Chest & by the time we get to Sunday I hurt all over my body & I'm SO ready for 2 days off! My hubby is a BRUTAL training partner though
    Then do try BCAAs - not expensive, don't taste of anything when in a shake and work very well.

Px

PS you could take them on the qt and just let hubby suffer instead

skinnychubbyguy "Hole in my underwear... What is the purpose of the hole on the front? I mean they stitch up the other side, but they leave the one opening on the front open, wtf is the point? My balls don't get that sweaty to air out, and I don't pull my dick through it to piss or anything else, so is there a legit reason for this?"

soon2Bgoddess is just really nice. (+1000) soon2Bgoddess is just really nice. (+1000) soon2Bgoddess is just really nice. (+1000) soon2Bgoddess is just really nice. (+1000) soon2Bgoddess is just really nice. (+1000) soon2Bgoddess is just really nice. (+1000) soon2Bgoddess is just really nice. (+1000) soon2Bgoddess is just really nice. (+1000) soon2Bgoddess is just really nice. (+1000) soon2Bgoddess is just really nice. (+1000) soon2Bgoddess is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Plato458 View Post
    Then do try BCAAs - not expensive, don't taste of anything when in a shake and work very well.

Px

PS you could take them on the qt and just let hubby suffer instead
    I know, I REALLY should! I just don't wanna take anything else. I take fish oil, glutamine, Mag/Cal/Zinc, E, B-complex, Creatine, multi-vit,.......hmmmmm, is that all? I can't remember if there's anything else. I HATE taking all that crap, but I guess nobody likes it. It's probably not so bad if I mix in my shake, huh?
    ~ChaCha

"Say what you mean and act how you feel,
    because those who matter don't mind,
    and those who mind don't matter." ~Dr. Seuss

Where can I find it and when i go is called anything else? And are you saying take this before work out? Does it add any calories...or anything?

ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Was reading through this and just wanted to add a few comments.

The Upper/Lower split is a good split and works well for most - not all - but most. It sounded like you were doing 4 days on and 3 days off?? Is that correct/? If you are and you're finding that your body is still extremely sore when it's time to do that body part again add a rest day between. So your workout would be 2 days on, 1 day off, 2 days on, 2 days off. This will give you ample time to recover from the workouts.

BCAA's are a great additive to your workouts especially if you're not getting the correct amount of protein's in your diet. I take BCAA1000's and take 2 capsules pre workout and 2 post - the bottle recommends taking 4 capsules twice to three times per day - I only take what I explained above and I'm a pretty big girl who lifts hard and heavy.

As for not working your muscles while you're sore - sure you can! And it's not 100% true that you'll lost size/str if/when you do. I know quite a few people who've really focused on their legs (in order to get their symmetry up) and did legs 3 times a week... if you believe they weren't sore when leg day came around again you're absolutely wrong. They not only built up size but their strength increased as well. Alot of it has to do with cycling light and heavy days as well as making sure you're getting enough to eat to feed those muscles. Personally I break my leg days up between Quads and Hams/calves, so I'm hitting legs twice a week and usually I'm still a bit sore when I hit my 2nd leg day. A bit different than doing two full leg days a week, but the soreness is still there. Can you overtrain this way?? Sure you can, but you can also overtrain doing a full body workout 3 times a week just as you can while training an upper/lower split. There's alot more going into overtraining than just which body part you lift each day.

As for where to get BCAA's and Glutamine and all that good stuff - BB.com has alot of supplements you can buy online. If there's a GNC, Super Supplements, Super Foods, or any other type of nutritional/supplement store in your area they'll be able to help you. And yes, some of them will have calories that you might want to account for. All depends on what you get and what your goal is!

Hope that helped
    ~C

Originally Posted by soon2Bgoddess View Post
    I know, I REALLY should! I just don't wanna take anything else. I take fish oil, glutamine, Mag/Cal/Zinc, E, B-complex, Creatine, multi-vit,.......hmmmmm, is that all? I can't remember if there's anything else. I HATE taking all that crap, but I guess nobody likes it. It's probably not so bad if I mix in my shake, huh?
    I now take all my supps except fish oil, St Johns and multi in my shakes and they go down a treat. Maybe it would be cheaper to look at a good all round formula for your little lot - loads of advice in the Supplements section.

As I'm from the UK, our products are different so can't really recommend but sure you'll get a ton of good advice here.

I know what you mean about all those potions and bottles - my bathroom used to look like a pharmacy and I started to get really self-conscious about visitors wondering what on earth I was doing in my spare time

The thing to remember is that they're just filling in the blanks when you can't face another bowl of oatmeal or more tuna

I'm even thinking of changing my name to Maracas

Px

PS I'd still let hubby suffer

moskalski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moskalski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moskalski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moskalski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I found a solution to leg soreness by accident. I desperately wanted to do some kind of cardio after a heavy leg workout once, so I walked on the treadmill for a bit. I was quite surprised to discover that I did not get sore at all. Normally I get so sore I can't sit down properly. Try walking after leg day.

jsfitnesssolutionsllc.com nacersusaf's Avatar
    nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nacersusaf has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by moskalski View Post
    I found a solution to leg soreness by accident. I desperately wanted to do some kind of cardio after a heavy leg workout once, so I walked on the treadmill for a bit. I was quite surprised to discover that I did not get sore at all. Normally I get so sore I can't sit down properly. Try walking after leg day.
    That actually works for a lot of people it seems. IMO if you can still walk after leg day... you're doing something wrong... LOL

But, perhaps you can try this route too. Good luck!
    Owner, JS Fitness Solutions
    www.jsfitnesssolutionsllc.com

Magnum Nutraceuticals Athlete
    hardmagnum.com