shane85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shane85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shane85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shane85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shane85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shane85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shane85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shane85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shane85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shane85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Changing from Bulking to Cutting..Help Change Routine / Diet

Hey everyone hows it going
    well since about november I have been trying to do a bulking cycle. My plan was from november-march bulk up, then from march-summer cut (dont really have a plan for after back to bulking I guess)

Anyway...basically last sept. I weighed 186...dunno bf % but it was up there. then I lost alot of muscle/fat because I stopped working out for 3 months, then addition to that did cardio for 3 months straight w/o weights. I dunno what happened but I went from a bulky 186 to 155 in almost less than 2-3 weeks. I know thats bad and I dont know what happened, maybe it has something to do with the insulin dosage I was taking (im diabetic) So anyway, right before my bicepts now I have extra skin because I lost about 1.5"-2" in my arms. Everytime I lift my arms up I can feel it and I hate it. But anyway, my routine from nov. - now has been as follows:

monday: back
    lat pull down
    pull ups (shoulder width)
    deadlifts
    cable rows

tues: chest
    flat bench
    incline bench
    decline bench
    pec fly machine

wed. legs
    squats
    calf raises
    leg curls

thurs: shoulders
    dumbell press
    lat raises
    bent over lat raises
    upright rows
    shrugs

fri: arms
    barbell curls
    hammer curls
    incline curls
    skull crushers
    close grip bench
    dips

my weight has gone from about 155 to about 163. I cant seem to gain any more mass. I am eating 4-5 good meals / day. This bulking cycle hasnt been as successful as I would have liked, but I guess with my slin levels down I cant expect as good as gains as when they were up. I am happier w/o all the body fat that I used to have, but im not happy with the muscle I lost.
    I am 5'9 and weigh 165. I dont know whats average for my height, but I think im probably a little bit bigger than average.

bicepts are 13.5"
    I would eventually like to get them up to 15 or 16s, but with my height do you think that would look funny? Also I dont have very wide shoulders so theres another disadvantage.

anyway, im gonna start cutting in a month so what do you suggest? change routine, change food, more cardio, (I swim 5 days a week try to do 10 laps after work out...usually only do 3 or 4 haha) I would really like to get my bf low but because I lost alot of my size I dont want to look skinny, but ripped, defiined, etc.

Any advice you guys can give me would be great. I still have 1 month...well 15 days left for my bulking cycle so any suggestions for that?

sups being taken are a whey supplement and of course protein...although I havent been consistant with either I know that isnt good

Thanks in advance
    Shane

TheGeezza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am interested in this topic too. I am wanting to move to a cutting cycle in about a months time.

I am confused about several things.

First with regard to wether or not to modify my existing training program. As the idea is to obviously hold on to progress made from a bulking cycle I am assuming I should stick with my current program but to no longer try to increase poundages? Or should I be doing some form of maintenance program?

Also should I initialy choose not to modify my diet but increase cardio gradualy instead to see how this affects progress? At present I perform cardio no more than 2 times a week for 25 mins.

I am also confused becuase I understand that in order to reduce calories I need to be in a calorie deficit. Does this not cause the body to turn to muscle for energy though. How do I determine the required balance, trial and error?

Any info would be much appreciated, perhaps some links to appropriate reading.

Cheers

Geez

Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hey shane, hows it going? well, I think your problem is that your not eating enoguh. When I was 13, I was eating 4 meals a day. Try bumping it up to 6-7. Nothing special, it can just be something like cottage cheese and some canteloupe (or some other fruit) or some tuna on whole wheat bread or something. That being said, lets start alking about cutting. Here are some things you might want to know:

DIET

Look at these calculations:

protein
    bodyweight x 1.2-1.4

calories
    bodyweight x 11-13

Keep carbs lower then normal and saturated fats in MODERATION.

CARDIO

Start off with one short session of cardio and work your way up to 3-4 20-40 minute sessions. Swimming is a great type of cardio. You might want to consider taking a protenm shake 20-30 minutes before cardio sessions to prevent muscle catabolism.

SUPPLEMENTS
    you can try a fat burner if you feel your heart rate and blood pressure is normal. Glutamine is good for preventing muscle loss and muscle catabolism. I always like to havea multi vitamin when cutting (since of the decrease of food). Protein powder is a good idea as well.

TRAINING SPLIT

Your split looks pretty good. While cutting though, I prefer a 3 day split because i find it easier to recover and fit in cardio.

THE GEEZA:

yes, you will be losing some poundages in your lifts when cutting (can't help it, you are going to lose some muscle). This can be minimized though when done right. Keep working out like you would normally do though.

You still are going to have to decrease your calories. More cardio days then you need can actaully unbenefit you.

No, if you slowly decrease your calories (as opposed to doing it overnight, your body will not turn muscle into energy (it will, just not a whole lot). To really trun muscle into energy, you must be eating very little. Some people eat to little adn get something known as "anorexia".

if any of you need anymore help, just post.
    The Beginner's Guide to Bodybuilding

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101841

shane85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shane85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shane85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shane85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shane85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shane85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shane85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shane85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shane85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shane85 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks sychokid
    I dont know if you were saying 13 (age) for an example of how much you were eating at that age, or if thats how old you think I am but just to clarify im 18

thanks again for all your help

Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally posted by shane85
    thanks sychokid
    I dont know if you were saying 13 (age) for an example of how much you were eating at that age, or if thats how old you think I am but just to clarify im 18

thanks again for all your help
    Um what?! lol. If you are talking about the calculations, I ment that you multiply your bodyweight (lets say for example it was 200 pds) by 11-13 (so lets pick 12). It would look like:

200 x 12 = 2400 calories

that is how amny calories you would be eating a day.
    The Beginner's Guide to Bodybuilding

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101841

lol ok
    thanks for clarifying that