feiyingx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Workout to dunk!

Hi! My mission is to be able to dunk by the summer of 2007. I need a lot of help. Any advice/suggestion/workout/conditioning anything would be appreciated! And I will keep everyone updated on my progress, whoever that is interested.. haha. Anyways at the moment, I'm 160 lbs, 6 feet, and I can just about touch the bottom of the net.

Thanks! =]
    Ken

shakazulu12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shakazulu12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just play a TON, I'm an inch shorter and could do 360's and never touched a weight before having knee surgery. Afterwards I actually came back slightly stronger with weights.

Not sure if its genetic either, I didn't start playing basketball until highschool and had a whopping 12 inch vertical in freshman gym class. Jump a lot, plyometrics, and I personally feel that deadlifts and cleans are the best weight excercises to use.

VtecTypeR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You got a long way to go but just do squats, deadlifts, and cleans. Thats all you really need.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...icle_fab15.htm

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=859906

Check both of those links they should help you out man.

Registered User Illinibball4evr's Avatar
    Illinibball4evr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Illinibball4evr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    IMO you should buy a pair of "jumpsoles" and (after you put them on your feet) do calf raises on the end of a stair, doing them on the end of a stair allows you to sink you heels below parrallel and proves to be a great workout for your calves.

Registered User Illinibball4evr's Avatar
    Illinibball4evr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Illinibball4evr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    and like the guys above me said, compound exercises such as deadlifts and squats are great to. Probably the most underated muscle group (when jumping ability is considered) is your abdominals. Dont forget that training your abdominals can help you to achieve a greater vertical leap as well.

Thanks for everyone's advice and suggestions. =D I relaly appreciate it!

Ken

k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50) k_townsfinest will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    How close are you to dunking now? Are you grabbing, or touching rim, even if just knicking it? I finally was able to dunk this year in gym class and man it feels good. I'm working on getting a vertical dunk now, and I almost pulled one yesterday on a defender. I'd say read that defranco article that was posted and do some box squats, along with power cleans and deadlifts.

Jumping is mainly the posterior chain, hams, glutes, lower back, and even shoulders. Calves aren't as important as people think, just google it.
    Tallest Mexican on the board?

Shitin' and Miscin' teriyakisaki's Avatar
    teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000)
    my advice to you is to use the search button. this has been discussed numerous times over and over again.

k-mac will become famous soon enough. (+50) k-mac will become famous soon enough. (+50) k-mac will become famous soon enough. (+50) k-mac will become famous soon enough. (+50) k-mac will become famous soon enough. (+50) k-mac will become famous soon enough. (+50) k-mac will become famous soon enough. (+50) k-mac will become famous soon enough. (+50) k-mac will become famous soon enough. (+50) k-mac will become famous soon enough. (+50) k-mac will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Illinibball4evr View Post
    IMO you should buy a pair of "jumpsoles" and (after you put them on your feet) do calf raises on the end of a stair, doing them on the end of a stair allows you to sink you heels below parrallel and proves to be a great workout for your calves.
    alot of people think vert comes from calves only, when in fact, at the very most, calves contribute 20% to your vert. hit the weights, squats, deadlifts, lunges, step-ups, etc, for the lower body. jumpsoles are a waste of money, one kid i personally know worked hard, 8 weeks, only got 3 inches, but he also lifted weights half-way though. all of those gains could have been from the weight lifting. search, read up, and get to work. if you need anymore help, feel free to ask.

also, if you want a commercial program, the only one worth its time is the Vertical Jump Developemnt Bible, by Kelly Bagget. it is legit and works. it is basically give you weight and plyo workouts (as well as a bodyweight) for you.

and please do not do Air Alert unless you want to screw up your knees. jumping over a thousand times in one plyometric workout is not going to be good in the long run.

Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jersey Mauler will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    keep palying basketball everyday for as long as you can

simple, but it works for me. im black though, so its kinda in my genes

Thanks for everyone's response. =]
    Another thing, is it good to do plyometrics everyday along with the workouts throughout the week?

VtecTypeR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You dont want to do pylos everyday for the same reason you dont do bench press or squats everyday

Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    "Athletic Ability
    Another important benefit of Olympic weightlifting is it teaches the body to fire all the muscle fibers at once; to explode in a sense (not literally). An 8 week study was done showing the capability of the Olympic lifts to improve sport performance and vertical jump ability. A study was performed and a group of lifters did various Olympic lifts (High pulls, Power Clean, and Clean and Jerk), and were compared to a group using vertical jump exercises (Single and Double Leg Hurdles Hops, Alternated Single-leg Hurdle Hops, etc) and after the 8 weeks of training the Olympic weightlifting group had significantly increased their 10 meter sprint speed and their standing jump over the control group using standard vertical jump exercises (Tricoli). Similarly a 15 week study was also performed using football players and compared a powerlifting program to an Olympic weightlifting program for athletic performance. After the 15 week study was over the Olympic weightlifting group had a significant improvement in the vertical jump and 40 meter sprint over the powerlifting group (Hoffman JR). Clearly there are athletic benefits that come from incorporating weightlifting into a sport training program and similarly Olympic weightlifters are also known for developing great athletic ability."
    Taken from http://www.owresource.com/lifts/benefits.php

Yes, focus on olympic lifts, sprints and other explosive movements.

OTG is a name known to all. (+5000) OTG is a name known to all. (+5000) OTG is a name known to all. (+5000) OTG is a name known to all. (+5000) OTG is a name known to all. (+5000) OTG is a name known to all. (+5000) OTG is a name known to all. (+5000) OTG is a name known to all. (+5000) OTG is a name known to all. (+5000) OTG is a name known to all. (+5000) OTG is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Would wearing ankle weights all the time help??
    (\ /)
    ( . .)
    c('')('') ☆♠$☆

Registered User happygolucky2443's Avatar
    happygolucky2443 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happygolucky2443 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happygolucky2443 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happygolucky2443 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happygolucky2443 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happygolucky2443 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happygolucky2443 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happygolucky2443 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happygolucky2443 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happygolucky2443 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) happygolucky2443 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by k-mac View Post
    alot of people think vert comes from calves only, when in fact, at the very most, calves contribute 20% to your vert. hit the weights, squats, deadlifts, lunges, step-ups, etc, for the lower body. jumpsoles are a waste of money, one kid i personally know worked hard, 8 weeks, only got 3 inches, but he also lifted weights half-way though. all of those gains could have been from the weight lifting. search, read up, and get to work. if you need anymore help, feel free to ask.

also, if you want a commercial program, the only one worth its time is the Vertical Jump Developemnt Bible, by Kelly Bagget. it is legit and works. it is basically give you weight and plyo workouts (as well as a bodyweight) for you.

and please do not do Air Alert unless you want to screw up your knees. jumping over a thousand times in one plyometric workout is not going to be good in the long run.
    Good post, k-mac buddy.

I very much agree that you, or anyone interested in improving their vertical jump for that matter, should purchase VJB by Kelley. It is one hell of a book, and it will provide you with research, his past experiences, and, most importantly, many programs that you can do in order to increase your jumping ability.

k-mac will become famous soon enough. (+50) k-mac will become famous soon enough. (+50) k-mac will become famous soon enough. (+50) k-mac will become famous soon enough. (+50) k-mac will become famous soon enough. (+50) k-mac will become famous soon enough. (+50) k-mac will become famous soon enough. (+50) k-mac will become famous soon enough. (+50) k-mac will become famous soon enough. (+50) k-mac will become famous soon enough. (+50) k-mac will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Teen_BB View Post
    Would wearing ankle weights all the time help??
    no, wearing them actually makes things worse. over time, studies have shown that ankle weights tear micro fibers around the knees. so dont use ankle weights. sure i see alot of people wearing them thinking they'll get huge verts from it, but they wont.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Ankle weights are dangerous to train with due to inertia/momentum but that doesn't mean they can't play a part if you're careful, and already really strong/conditioned from other exercises. Not for noobs of course.

I don't think squat/deadlift/clean is 'all you need' for jumping. Plyometrics are just better, they teach speed and are more specific to jumping training.

I've seen some plyometric jumping drills that involve holding a medicine ball overhead. That seems to best simulate the jumping movement. There wouldn't be a point jumping high if your shoulder flexibility sucked so your arms couldn't go directly above you, because that limits your dunking height too.

iron_leppard has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try using a conditioning vest. It's said to improve your speed, vertical jump, and overall strength. The weights on the vest can also be modified from 1lb to its maximum weight capacity.
    Last edited by iron_leppard; 12-15-2006 at 05:56 PM.

ksc is on a distinguished road. (+10) ksc is on a distinguished road. (+10) ksc is on a distinguished road. (+10) ksc is on a distinguished road. (+10) ksc is on a distinguished road. (+10) ksc is on a distinguished road. (+10) ksc is on a distinguished road. (+10) ksc is on a distinguished road. (+10) ksc is on a distinguished road. (+10) ksc is on a distinguished road. (+10) ksc is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm 6'1 and I can pop the rim but cannot dunk =[ I feel your pain, I've got this great workout my coach has given me and if you're interested just msg me, we can start it together.

Originally Posted by iron_leppard View Post
    Try using a conditioning vest. It's said to improve your speed, vertical jump, and overall strength. The weights on the vest can also be modified from 1lb to its maximum weight capacity.
    alot of things are "said" to increase your vert, speed, whatever. Air Alert and all of those commercial plyometric programs say things like "you can expect an increase of 8"-14" in your vertical leap in just 12-14 weeks!". when in reality, if you're lucky, you will get 5" (if you are a complete beginner). Vertical jump training is what I know most about, and let me tell you, the best option for starting out is weight lifting. out of all the people i have kept track of their progress, the ones who do weight training have the best gains. I know a few guys with running verticals over 40", and in the high 30"s as well. they have all done weight lifting in their training arsenal. conditioning vest are another gizmo, like jumpsoles, that are not needed. I have jumpsoles, dont bother with them. The best investment if you are commited is a home weight set or a gym membership.
    Hard work pays off. Simple.
    I have lost over 100 pounds of fat while gaining some muscle along the way. You can reach your goals, just give it time and plenty of hard work.

R.I.P. Grandma 5/12/07 user178944's Avatar
    user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    ive tried air alert 1 and 2 and jumpsoles

I got the best results from olympic lifting

Cleans/deadlifts/power cleans/squats

(THE BEST ONE IS CLEANS IMO)

when i first started this lifting, I gained about 4 inches in the first 2 months...trust me, stick with that consistently and play alot and youll ahve great results

also, do uphill running, and dont forget to give your legs a week off every couple of months =)

i would workout hard for 2 months then take a thursday-tuesday off,then on Tuesday, test your vert, test it that way everytime and youll see your results keep going up!

zoo4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zoo4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zoo4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zoo4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) zoo4life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My advice for you is to make sure you've completed your strength training before you go on to explosive training. Too many people jump straight into plyometrics without a good base. Get your squat and dead up to about 1.5x your bw before starting plyos. One its around 2x, start the fancy stuff like jumping out of isometrics, depth jumps, weighted jumps, etc.. etc... bla bla gluck

also, take up sprinting! its done a whole lot for my vertical already
    Always God first, always.

Stats:
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 180
    Squat: ~300
    Deadlift: 280
    Bench: 155
    Vertical: 33"

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. =D