Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Deadlift question: Ok for the bar to start off the floor?

Here's the deal: I'm 6'0" tall...between that and my lack of flexibility, it is near impossible for me to do deadlifts with proper form, keeping the arch in my back (from the floor, anyway). Is it ok if I start the bar off a little off the ground? For instance, if I lowered the saftey pins in the squat rack to the lowest notches and put the bar on that and used that height as my starting level for deadlifts?

R.I.P. Grandma 5/12/07 user178944's Avatar
    user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) user178944 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    bad idea..but i guess if you have to, you should stretch everyday, you really should be doing it from the floor

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yeah, it's ok, but don't kid yourself that you're actually doing full deads. I think a better idea would be to adress the reasons you can't pull from the floor, rather than trying to cover them up. I'm 6'1" and about the least flexible person I know and I don't have problems.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dan5290 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rockhuddy View Post
    I'm 6'1" and about the least flexible person I know and I don't have problems.
    Hmmm. Well, for one, you're probably using 45's right? 25's are even too much for me (I'm weak), so the bar is even closer to the ground. That's probably not the real issue though...maybe my lower back is just really weak, I don't know...

rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Dan5290 View Post
    Hmmm. Well, for one, you're probably using 45's right? 25's are even too much for me (I'm weak), so the bar is even closer to the ground. That's probably not the real issue though...maybe my lower back is just really weak, I don't know...
    Actually, that makes a big difference. You've got an extra 3 or 4 inches to go if you're using 25s. In that case, pulling in the rack is alright until you get strong enough to pull off the floor with 135.

You still need to work on your flexibility though.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Here's the deal: I'm 6'0" tall...between that and my lack of flexibility, it is near impossible for me to do deadlifts with proper form, keeping the arch in my back (from the floor, anyway). Is it ok if I start the bar off a little off the ground? For instance, if I lowered the saftey pins in the squat rack to the lowest notches and put the bar on that and used that height as my starting level for deadlifts?
    Yeah do whatever you feel is best. Theres no point doing something if you feel its gonna do some damage. Start the bar where you can actually perform it correctly. You can also try to work on your flexibility to work towards a full deadlift from the ground.
    "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory."

Isaiah 6:3

G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) G_Train is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by rockhuddy View Post
    Actually, that makes a big difference. You've got an extra 3 or 4 inches to go if you're using 25s. In that case, pulling in the rack is alright until you get strong enough to pull off the floor with 135.

You still need to work on your flexibility though.
    good point. For some reason the 45s where I train have a really small diameter, so to get around it I just lie a 45 under each end so that the bar starts from a reasonable height. But it is good training from close to the ground to increase your strength in that initial movement.
    Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night

SegFault has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SegFault has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SegFault has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SegFault has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SegFault has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SegFault has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SegFault has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SegFault has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SegFault has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SegFault has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SegFault has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There is nothing "wrong" with starting with the plates off the floor (especially since you are not using 45's) its just not technically a deadlift. But in your case it would probably a good way to work your way up to using 45 pound plates. I did the same thing until I was lifting 135 pounds.

You probably should work on your flexibility too, especially your hamstrings. There is no reason that you can't work your way up to doing real deadlifts. I'm 37 with arthritic knees and I can pull the weight from the floor.

Originally Posted by G_Train View Post
    good point. For some reason the 45s where I train have a really small diameter, so to get around it I just lie a 45 under each end so that the bar starts from a reasonable height. But it is good training from close to the ground to increase your strength in that initial movement.
    That's a good point too. If you find a way to pull from the floor with 25s, by the time you hit 45s you'll be a lot stronger off of the ground.

Awesome, thanks for the help guys.

Also, for those of you suggesting to work on flexibility: what would you recommend I do to improve it (my flexibility)? Any particular exercises or anything? You know, I think part of the problem might also be my incredibly weak hamstrings. Should I just keep working on deadlifts until they strengthen up some, or should I do a few sets of straight-leg deadlifts, or is there something else I can do?

Is loving box squats! Lean_and_Mean's Avatar
    Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Lean_and_Mean has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Also, for those of you suggesting to work on flexibility: what would you recommend I do to improve it (my flexibility)? Any particular exercises or anything? You know, I think part of the problem might also be my incredibly weak hamstrings. Should I just keep working on deadlifts until they strengthen up some, or should I do a few sets of straight-leg deadlifts, or is there something else I can do?
    Do alot of stretches for your hamstrings, hips, groin, quads, glutes, and lower back daily. You might aswell just stretch all your muscles, it will only benefit you.
    6'1" 230 pounds of wannabee powerlifter

Check out my sweet journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1011911

I'm the Juggernaut Bitch! GIGANTOR's Avatar
    GIGANTOR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GIGANTOR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GIGANTOR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GIGANTOR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GIGANTOR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GIGANTOR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GIGANTOR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GIGANTOR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GIGANTOR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GIGANTOR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GIGANTOR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dude work on you flexibilty, im 6'4 and go from the ground, and as far as flexebility goes i dont have much either but comon deadlifts dont need a whole lot of flexibility.
    Never Big Enough

6'4
    280lbs off season
    235lbs on stage
    19' arms
    27' legs
    Feel like a 12 year old vegetarian, B.Ph.E, B.A, B.Ed, M.S.E.D

Glad you asked. For flexibility, the actual deadlifting will help, but also try to stretch out after you lift and do a good dynamic warmup before you start (sorry, I don't have a link, but I'm sure you can find something).

For bringing your hamstrings up, there are a lot of things you can do. Good mornings are awesome once you get the hang of them. Also, pull throughs, glute ham raises, box squats, romanian deadlifts... plenty of stuff you can do.

And here's a couple good articles on deadlift form, just to make sure you're doing everything right.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459964
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459744

Patu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Patu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Patu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Patu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Patu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Patu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Patu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Patu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Patu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Patu has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Patu has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Howdy dude! I was just wondering have you ever considered a sumo stance?
    "There is no point in being alive if you cannot do the deadlift" -JP Sigmarsson

Originally Posted by Patu View Post
    Howdy dude! I was just wondering have you ever considered a sumo stance?
    What exactly (in deadlift terms) is a sumo stance? I'm assuming maybe wider?

Thanks for the links rockhuddy, I'll check those out.

I think the problem comes down to the fact that I am just really weak. I can keep proper form when starting from the height that it would be if I had 45s on. But having 10s on is starting way too low for my height, I can't keep the back arch; and I don't think I'm quite strong enough for 25s.