Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

dsp50 is not very well liked. (-100)

Diabetes and Insulin

Ok, not sure if anyone out there can help me with this, but here goes. I was diagnosed with diabetes about 4 years ago, but was able to control it with meds. Then about 2 years ago, I guess I kind of just gave up. Depression, and some other issues. Yesterday my doctor informed me I needed to start taking insulin. Apparently it's time to start working out again since I've put on 80 of the 45 pounds I lost when I was working out before. No, I didn't screw that up, I've put on more than I originally lost.
    My question, is this: Is it better to take the insulin before I work out or after? I'll be working out in the mornings, early.
    Any help would be appreciated.

i'm made for this mighty_mouse12's Avatar
    Stats: 6'1", 211 lbs
    BodyPoints: 6262
    mighty_mouse12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mighty_mouse12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mighty_mouse12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mighty_mouse12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mighty_mouse12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mighty_mouse12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mighty_mouse12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mighty_mouse12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mighty_mouse12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mighty_mouse12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mighty_mouse12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Visit mighty_mouse12's BodySpace
    i think that you should try and cut before you start taking the insulin because i heard that it makes you store more fat and if youre already at a high bodyfat it would be much harder.as for taking it before or after i dont really know,maybe somebody with some more steroid knowledge can help u there
    Champions aren't born overnight. A true champion is someone who persists even when the rest of the world says it can't be done

Stats: 7'2", 450 lbs
    BodyPoints: 8130
    blackdream71 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) blackdream71 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) blackdream71 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) blackdream71 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) blackdream71 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) blackdream71 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) blackdream71 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) blackdream71 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) blackdream71 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) blackdream71 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) blackdream71 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit blackdream71's BodySpace
    a lot of times diabetes can be reversed by losing weight, i would try that 1st and foremost.

second i would start taking a supplement called "Cinnulin PF", this is an extract of cinnamon that has been proven to help and even reverse Type-2 diabetes. Also the R-form of Alpha Lipoic Acid would be very beneficial.
    Fitnessboard.com Legend

If i let you, you would make me destroy myself,
    In order to survive, I must first survive myself,
    I can sink no further, and I cannot forgive you,
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you,
    I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain,
    I'll use my mistakes against you,
    There's no other choice.....

BodyPoints: 23772
    uhockey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) uhockey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) uhockey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) uhockey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) uhockey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) uhockey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) uhockey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) uhockey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) uhockey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) uhockey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) uhockey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit uhockey's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by dsp50 View Post
    Ok, not sure if anyone out there can help me with this, but here goes. I was diagnosed with diabetes about 4 years ago, but was able to control it with meds. Then about 2 years ago, I guess I kind of just gave up. Depression, and some other issues. Yesterday my doctor informed me I needed to start taking insulin. Apparently it's time to start working out again since I've put on 80 of the 45 pounds I lost when I was working out before. No, I didn't screw that up, I've put on more than I originally lost.
    My question, is this: Is it better to take the insulin before I work out or after? I'll be working out in the mornings, early.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Sir, I beg you to PLEASE call your physician and ask for a referral to an endocrinologist. The simple fact that you're asking this question indicates that you do not understand the nature of your illness and you could benefit greatly by talking to a nutritionist and diabetic care coordinator, both of which could be set up by your PCP through endocrinology.

I agree that working out is a good plan, but first get your blood sugars under control. Avoid supplements, clean up your diet, and call your doctor.
    My place in here at bb.com is as a fitness enthusiast and recommendations do not represent medical advice. Please consult your examining physician for all medical concerns.

I'm not a "rep," and most "reps":
    1) are no more credentialed than you. 2) have no input and no understanding of their product formulations. 3) are merely paid in free product from the company they represent.

http://www.drivensports.co.uk/
    http://www.getds.com/

dsp50 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Look, I'm not asking this for muscle growth, and taking the insulin isn't an option, it's a requirement. I'll be taking it in the mornings because its a slow release type. I'm just asking if I would be better off taking it before I work out or waiting until I'm done so that it doesn't drop my blood sugar levels to low.

BodyPoints: 23772
    uhockey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) uhockey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) uhockey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) uhockey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) uhockey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) uhockey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) uhockey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) uhockey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) uhockey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) uhockey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) uhockey has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit uhockey's BodySpace
    I'm guessing it is Glargine or Lantus? If that is the case, doesn't matter when you take it, as long as you take it same time every day.

How is your diet and just as importantly, how is your insurance? Did your doctor mention Byetta as a possibility? If not, I'd contact him/her and still request endocrine consult.
    My place in here at bb.com is as a fitness enthusiast and recommendations do not represent medical advice. Please consult your examining physician for all medical concerns.

I'm not a "rep," and most "reps":
    1) are no more credentialed than you. 2) have no input and no understanding of their product formulations. 3) are merely paid in free product from the company they represent.

http://www.drivensports.co.uk/
    http://www.getds.com/

Stats: 5'9", 185 lbs
    BodyPoints: 10626
    UNCnate has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) UNCnate has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) UNCnate has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) UNCnate has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) UNCnate has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) UNCnate has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) UNCnate has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) UNCnate has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) UNCnate has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) UNCnate has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) UNCnate has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit UNCnate's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by uhockey View Post
    Sir, I beg you to PLEASE call your physician and ask for a referral to an endocrinologist. The simple fact that you're asking this question indicates that you do not understand the nature of your illness and you could benefit greatly by talking to a nutritionist and diabetic care coordinator, both of which could be set up by your PCP through endocrinology.

I agree that working out is a good plan, but first get your blood sugars under control. Avoid supplements, clean up your diet, and call your doctor.
    I completely agree, my family has a history of diabetes. If you dont get your blood sugar levels under control the least of your worries is going to be working out (and most likely with unstable levels youre not going to feel like working out)

Weight management and a proper diet (not only the foods you eat, but when you eat them) is very important.

But yeah, listen to the advice already given and contact the proper people and ask them these questions, its their profession and will have an answer for you.
    AI Sports Nutrition Brand Manager - Nathan@AISportsNutrition.com

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ai/ai.htm
    Facebook.com/AISportsNutrition

Free Samples: http://forms.aweber.com/form/13/1563374013.htm

Disclaimer: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.

#getFurious

sleuthone is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Diabetes amd Insulin

First..depending on your BG PRIOR to exercise..I wouldn't inject any at levels below 200 bg. Why? A solid workout, of about an hr, can well drop your BG by 100pts.

I would ALWAYS have one of the emergency glucose products, on hand, in case of a hypoglycemic event.

Remember, most inject into the abdominal area..any exercising involving that area..is going to infuse the insulin at a higher then normal rate..including your evening dose of Lantus.

Most diabetics get into "trouble" for failing to be compliant in taking a sufficient number (up to 15) "sticks" per day in order to stay on top of their BG.

Stats: 5'8", 188 lbs
    BodyPoints: 10735
    Thomas_Uru is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas_Uru is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas_Uru is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas_Uru is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas_Uru is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas_Uru is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas_Uru is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas_Uru is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas_Uru is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas_Uru is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Thomas_Uru is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Visit Thomas_Uru's BodySpace

Talking Careful

Man, be careful on what you do. I'm myself diabetic since I were 10. I'm 17 now.
    The amount of insulin you'll use depends on the type. If you use regular or NPH have some candies, nuts or anything with sugar. If the insulin is Lantus, or Glargine, it doesn't care the time, because the release is always the same. IT DOES if it is Regular or NPH. Regular insulin does the peak effect an hour after de inyection, and NPH an hour and a half alter. If your training is an hour after inyections and you use those, be careful!

Stats: 6'1", 220 lbs
    BodyPoints: 51895
    10TonBrick has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 10TonBrick has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 10TonBrick has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 10TonBrick has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 10TonBrick has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 10TonBrick has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 10TonBrick has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 10TonBrick has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 10TonBrick has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 10TonBrick has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) 10TonBrick has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit 10TonBrick's BodySpace
    always thake slin PWO, taking it pre could result in low blood sugar from training, and be dangerous. Takeing it PWO with protein and carbs would also be quite anabolic
    Chew Crew
    MFC