Unreal 77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy (nutrition, weight loss, and food allergies)Please don't throw tomatoes at me, but...

I know you've all seen this thread 15 billion times but I figure I get my little say as a newbie. I think we all have the same basic goals and concerns. I could honestly use the help. I work out healthfully and regularly, weigth training and cardio 5 - 6 x's a week and teach dance. I just have genetics from hell and hold weight and muscle really easily. I've had a lot of people say that women can't hold muscle, yada yada yada, but I've got legs that powerlifters drool over. I'm 5'2" and hover around 135 -140 most of the time and would love to trim up in a healthy way. I think I've done every damn diet there is and they don't seem to work for me. I wonder if I have undiagnosed food allergies because I'm always bloaty/puffy and hold water..skins seems exceptionally loose. Just frusterating. The thing is, I need something with lower amounts of protein because high protein diets put more muscle on me, and I don't want any more. However, high carb diets just pack on fat. I'm trying to avoid wheat/yeast/bread and dairy and would love some diet/caloric suggestions...please! I'll send good karma your way if you could just help a gal out! Remember -- I'm short, muscular with fat layers over the muscle, work out regularly, and have a strong work ethic but can't find a diet that trims and slims (metabolism or something). Thanks for listening!

karate_girl will become famous soon enough. (+50) karate_girl will become famous soon enough. (+50) karate_girl will become famous soon enough. (+50) karate_girl will become famous soon enough. (+50) karate_girl will become famous soon enough. (+50) karate_girl will become famous soon enough. (+50) karate_girl will become famous soon enough. (+50) karate_girl will become famous soon enough. (+50) karate_girl will become famous soon enough. (+50) karate_girl will become famous soon enough. (+50) karate_girl will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hi!
    I'm also 5'2 and 140 pounds, naturally have muscle and fat Firstly, I think that it would help if you give us an eg of what you currently eat.
    Dance is a fantastic exercise so keep it up. Unless you are lactose intollerant I don't see any reason for you to cut out dairy - even then small amounts of yoghurt should still be fine.
    so yeah, post what you currently eat and we can go from there...

txssweetie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello! I am not an expert by any means so these girls will help you out way more than I could. However I know protein alone will not make you pack on muscle. If that was the case, I think almost everyone on the forums would eat nothing BUT protein. What WILL give you muscle is working out consistently with weights. Do not be afraid of protein. It is your friend, even though it may seem like that is what is making you bulky, it's not. Maybe you're lifting heavy things during the day that you don't realize you're lifting or you're working out harder than you think you are. I'm not sure exactly, that's why these other awesome ladies will help you out immensely.
    Beautiful picture by the way =)
    *The best inspiration isn't to out do others...but to out do yourself*

twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000) twinnett is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Well, I think you look awesome, but maybe what you need is to lose a little bodyfat rather than try to reduce your muscles?? What does your diet look like?

fitqueeen has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Protein doesn't magically grow muscles.

Eating protein in and of itself does not add muscle. Too much muscle is NOT your problem- what is happening is that your shorter stature makes even a healthy body fat level seem too bulky. Muscles still seem bigger you say? Well remember that some of that body fat gets marblized inside the muscle too- that's why fat muscles will appear larger and bulkier than hard, lean ones. The solution? Cut the body fat level, keep the muscle. If you reduce you're muscle, you'll only be adding more fat! (That muscle you have is likely what keeps you from getting any larger!) Yes, it's probable that you have some undiagnosed food allergy. The 4 most common food allergies are to dairy, refined sugar, wheat, and hydrogenated oils. Peanut oils can also trigger allergies in many people. When I say "allergies", it doesn't necessarily mean that your face swells up and you get the hives. Excess weight gain, acne, depression, constipation, bloating, ect. are often caused by these foods, however very few people suspect them. Cut out these things I mentioned, and you will likely drop some weight and feel much better. Doesn't mean you can NEVER eat them again, just cut them on a day-to-day basis. You know what I mean! But for God's sake, don't stop building/maintaining your muscle! Focus on reducing the body fat. Now, if you're a fitness veteran who's been at it with the same routine for 5 years, you're gonna have to step up your game and change it up. Your body will adjust to even what seems like a ridiculous amount of exercise and you'll cease to see fat loss. The fitter you get, the harder you gotta work it to keep it going! Think about upping the intensity and cutting back the frequency a bit. Do 4-5 days a week instead of 6. Do 2 really high, all out intensity cardio workouts 2 times per week, and medium effort, longer duration cardio 2 other times a week. Lift weights INTENSELY 4 times a week focusing on compound movements that burn tons of calories and keep rests between sets no longer than 90 seconds. But don't do the girly sissy weights- make sure you challenge yourself enough. Remember, the muscle isn't the problem, it's the body fat! Do higher reps on your lower body to increase the hardness of the legs without increasing their size. Go lower reps on the upper body to build a more even physique that will match your larger lower-body.

A few more tips on the diet:
    Switch to natural sea salt for less bloating and better health.
    Avoid processed, packaged foods. If you REALLY want to get lean, at least 50% of your meals should be composed of fresh, uncooked or lightly steamed vegetables and fruit; and the other 50% should not come out of a box, plastic package, or can. (unless it's rice, tuna, ect...you get my drift!) Forget bread. The only bread I know of that is edible on a healthy diet is Ezekiel, which is flourless. Get familiar with Stevia- healthy natural sugar substitute for your baking and sweet tooth. (I make some awesome healthy cookies with it!) Buy organic whenever possible. The less toxins you have in your body, the better off you'll be. Steer clear of diet sodas, and diet drinks. Drink lots of water. Get lots of sleep. Take a vitamin supplement. Take fish oil and/or flax seed oil. All of this stuff I'm telling you comes together to lean you out and make you healthier. Try it and see!
    Last edited by fitqueeen; 12-06-2006 at 04:21 AM. Reason: grammar error

Wink

Thank you so much for your replies, ladies!! I so very much need the encouragement and support and I was very happy to see your posts ! Well, I think you're absolutely right about the "fat-marbelling" (fat in between muscle fibers) -- I do tend to build bulky for some reason. Here's my typical diet plan:

#1: 2 eggs (1 yolk, 1 white), cup of green tea

#2: 1/3 cup healthy trail mix (no added sugar) w/ 1/4 cup lo-carb milk
    OR protein powder (ick) 15 grams protein, approx 45 calories

WORK OUT

#3: Japanese instant seaweed soup with kale, 3/4 - 1 cup of some kind of meat protein (trying scallops right now, 23 grms protein, 70 calories, and .5 grm fat!!) pretty cheap, too! 1/2 cup white rice

#4: usually this is screw up time - protein powder or rice and ck, scrambling to find something, nothing looks good

#5: Putting together a simple salad with lettuce, ck or beef (2/3 cup) and random garnish and low cal dressing.

#6: Lo carb hot cocoa OR lo - carb sugar-free pudding made with lo-carb milk (2/3 cup)

It seems pretty balanced to me, but I'm not seeing much result. Probably a super genetic conservationist so my body loves to hold on to what it stores!

My major problems are sugar cravings (which I usually alleviate through aspartamne or splenda based products and then feel puffy, or drink diet soda); super diet boredom - same thing day after day; loose and puffy appearance, and 'bulkiness.' Since I am training for a dance competition, I'd like to use my muscles to my advantage, but I'd love for them to be leaner. I've had a few local suggestions about cutting down, but its not that I need contest cutting, just a real body transformation that I can keep permanantly without rebounding back up. I'm trying to find complex carbs that will help with energy -- white rice and potatoes are too simple, I'm allergic to oats and wheat, and ...well, I thought I'd better ask the experts. I do a lot of fairly heavy weight training; I'll try and post pics for ya. Sorry if this seems ranting. I really appreciate your input

madisongrace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madisongrace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madisongrace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madisongrace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madisongrace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madisongrace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madisongrace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madisongrace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madisongrace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madisongrace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) madisongrace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You are not eating enough. Wayyyyy too low. You should be eating 10x your weight in calories. I went through the same issue where the fat stopped coming off and I found out that I wasn't eating enough. It's hard sometimes to get that much food in in one day, but if you do, you'll see a difference. Once I started eating enough, the pounds starting coming off again. You are beautiful by the way, pat yourself on the back there.

terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Actually.. she should be eating at least 12x bodyweight in calories for fat loss since she is already lean.

I suggest going for ~1600 cals with a nutrient ratio of 33%/33%/33% c/p/f which would amount to approx. 133 carbs/133 protein/60 fat. Don't be afraid of the fats.. if you find you are carb sensitive, fats are really the way to go here.. and getting enough fats encourages your body to get rid of fat.
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

www.hotnfit.com - need help with fat loss, muscle gain, or having a healthy pregnancy? Visit my site! Yes safe for work and mobile friendly :)

www.********.com/hotnfitcom

barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) barnetjs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How are your bathroom habits? Sound like an odd question - but the bloating and puffy ness - etc could be bathroom related. I posted about 2 years ago about this weight gain that I was having every weekend (now i know this is not your case you are complaining about a constant weight issue but keep listening). So 2 years later I and many tests - I have idopathic chronic constpation. So for several days I would eat my broc and salad and protein powders etc and they would just sit there and never leave and my body would fill up with gas and bloating (cause as my DR explained) it stuck in there and building up methane gas (nice) so my stomache would bloat up and I could barely breathe and my weight would steadily rise over the weekend and the craziest thing is that when I exercise to much - my body can;t handle the stress so I don't go to the bathroom, when I get worried about life - same thing -anyway what also has happened is that I have gained about 10 pounds in this 2 years cause it has not all been coming out. Sorry for way to much TMI but maybe just maybe you are not going to the bathroom enough and that is why you bloat up and get puffy - or atleast another possiblity. I have finally got it under control, I know what foods cause more problems then other (protein powder is very constipating so that has been illimiated and all of my protein comes from whole foods). I have a regime of medication that I take and finally after 6 months of trying to get it all straight - I have had (3) weeks now where I have not had any problems and NO BLOATING!

Thank you :D!!

Well, I don't think there's anything better in the world than hearing that you're not eating ENOUGH whoo hoo! Ha ha ha. I've just always had a problem with holding weight, and I'm kind of at a stagnant point, so I though a severe tweaking would help me step it up. Any suggestions for direction in the diet? As you can see, I'm doing the 6 small meals a day, but afternoons are hell and I'm still not sure if I'm eating the right stuff. My pet peeve is all of the bodybuilding stuff that has the same diet and workout info for both men and women. At one point, I was eating smaller versions of the "Arnold Diet"(lots and lots of meat and eggs and protein) and, well, that didn't go so well . What have you ladies found to be particularly effective in terms of food choices? Any books or articles that are helpful, especially for dieting?

Also, I appreciate your honest answer as to the bloating problems. I'm going to have to pay more attention, but that is a possibility that I hadn't considered!

terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000) terracotta is a name known to all. (+5000)
    A good place to start would be here.
    31-26-36.

Mother of 3

www.hotnfit.com - need help with fat loss, muscle gain, or having a healthy pregnancy? Visit my site! Yes safe for work and mobile friendly :)

www.********.com/hotnfitcom