jlittlejohn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Noob Introduction - Need your wisdom

Hey whats up

Im Josh. 28 yrs old and Im gonna stick with it this time. Just had our first child, 6 week old boy. Its amazing, but as I was looking at pictures of him and me all I could focus on was my sorry shape. I was like "this is freakin ridiculous" i want my kids dad (me) to be a big guy thats in shape. And plus I wanna look good too, I know the wife would love it...so here I am. I'm 6ft talll 180 lbs. and have always been a thin guy, but over the years of putting my body through hell(I mean bad hell) Ive developed a little bit of a stomach that makes me want to puke everytime I look at it, (I like food too much to throw up, though). So Ive been reading and researching and researching and reading and about 3 weeks ago I started a cardio/weight training program. Im tryin to lose the gut but build muscle too. Ive turned my garage into a small weightroom, Ive got a bench some plates some dumbbells and a treadmill in there and Ive been using it everyday.

heres what ive been doing:
    Cardio - Everyday 20 min running approximately 2 miles each time.

Lifting Every Other DAY

Heres an example
    mon -Shoulders, Abs
    tue - Just Cardio
    wed - Chest, Abs
    thur -Just Cardio
    fri - Back, Abs
    sat- Just Cardio
    sun -Arms

Diet
    7am - Cereal and Muscle Milk
    10am - a banana or apple
    1230 - tuna sandwich and chips
    3:30 - Muscle Milk
    6 pm - Chicken, rice, salad
    9pm - Muscle Milk

Does this exercise/diet program fit with my goals?

Im only 3 weeks in so should I give it some time before I change?

Excuse my ingnorance, I just want to change the way Ive been livin and how I look..

Thanks
    ~josh

46and2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 46and2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 46and2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 46and2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 46and2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 46and2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 46and2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 46and2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 46and2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 46and2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 46and2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am 28 and just found out my wife is pregnant, so I can relate. I want to be a strong and healthy dad too.

But man, you have zero days of rest. I started out with lifting 3 days (Rippetoe's Starting Strength) and doing intervals for cardio 2 days. It turns out that I might have been overtraining my legs and my knees have been hurting. So I am backing off of all lower body exercises for a week or so.

I can't comment on the weight lifting split, as I just don't know enough to be helpful. But I say you should have at least 1 day where you do absolutely nothing, so that your body can recover.

Also, I like intervals over straight running for cardio. Try sprinting for 30 secs, jogging for 30 secs, and repeat for 4 minutes. Do that on 2 cardio days and then up it to 5 minutes. Keep going up every few days.

jlittlejohn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    am i taking in too many calories a day to lose the fat on my stomach?