Tein has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

how often do you work your chest a week?

i've been trying to gain mass on my chest for a long time now but having trouble. i currently do chest twice a week, mon and thurs: mon is all bench, intense workout maxing out at 315 and thurs i try to go light and do a lot of flies and such. is that enough to gain? what are some of ur guys' chest routine for those of you who're trying to gain.
    thx
    Height: 5'11''
    Weight: 188
    Max Flat Bench: 355
    Max 225 Reps: 23

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Re: how often do you work your chest a week?

Originally posted by Tein
    i've been trying to gain mass on my chest for a long time now but having trouble. i currently do chest twice a week, mon and thurs: mon is all bench, intense workout maxing out at 315 and thurs i try to go light and do a lot of flies and such. is that enough to gain? what are some of ur guys' chest routine for those of you who're trying to gain.
    thx
    Perhaps you are doing too much; list your workout, with days, lifts, sets, and reps.
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

mon:
    flat bench: warm up with 135 and 185; 15 reps of 225; max at 315; 3X3 of 275; superset 275-->225-->135

incline: 1X10 135; 1x6 185; 1x4 225; 1x10 135

decline: 1x10 135; 1x6 185; 1x2 225; 1x8 135

thurs:
    incline bench: warm up with 135 &185; 1x8 225; 1x2 275; 3x5 225; superset 185-->135
    cable cross: 4-5 sets
    flies: 4-5 sets

and i get plenty of protein each day, abou 200 grams or so

thanx a lot for any input

D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) D&G has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I train chest once every 10 days, never more than 5 sets for it.

Originally posted by D&G
    I train chest once every 10 days, never more than 5 sets for it.
    u trying to maintain or gain?

LittleGuy
    I think once a week is enough for everything except calves and abs. some people i know do chest twice a week for chest but i think its to much,what i think

yea i guess everybody's different. i know that some muscle groups need 5-7 days of resting time between workouts but for me personally, after my chest workout, after 3 days or so, all teh sorness is gone and it feels perfectly fine. i mean, is my chest muscles still recovering even though i have no residual effects from the previous workout? and my chest mass always decrease 3-4 days after i work out...weird

JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: how often do you work your chest a week?

Originally posted by Tein
    thx
    I work chest twice a week as well. From your original post I was going to say we do very similar things, but then I saw your actual workout.

The things that I do differently is that I use 12 reps on monday and drop to 8 on thrusday. It looks like you go pretty heavy on both days. I also don't pyramid. I do a few warmups and then my working sets.

I also don't do the volume that you do. I only do about 12 sets total for the week. I work tri's after chest so I can't do many more sets for chest without making the workouts to long.

I have been experimenting with this type of training for a little while, so it's still a work in progress, but it has been going great for me.

Your question about muscle recovery is one of the reasons that I have been trying to develop this program. You basic question of wheather or not your muscles are still recovering after the soreness is yes, they are still recovering. The question I asked is if they are still recovering from a high rep workout (12 in my case) can I go back and train them again using lower reps(8) allowing me to train a muscle twice a week without disrupting the recovery from the previous training.

I don't have an answer to this yet, but that's what I am trying to find out.
    "Pain is a state of MIND -
    - Mass is a state of BEING"
    This one is my own.

MonstaDwarf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I train chest twice a week. Two different workouts. Monday is all pressing thursday is all flying.
    not many sets per exercise (usually just one) but half a doz exercises
    Works for me.
    how about them apples

SuperZERO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuperZERO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuperZERO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuperZERO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SuperZERO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I used to do chest once a week. Until Jan. I hit a month long plateu in DEC and decided to change up my routine. Now I do on heavy chest day (5sets MAX) every 9 days. In the middle of the 9 days I do 3 more sets of light weight to about 75% or less of failure. My chest has never been bigger, or stronger.
    Listen to me, or else!!!

AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000) AMG is just really nice. (+1000)
    I work my chest once a week. That equals out to 4-6 sets every 7 days.

drew_bledsoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drew_bledsoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drew_bledsoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drew_bledsoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drew_bledsoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drew_bledsoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drew_bledsoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drew_bledsoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drew_bledsoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drew_bledsoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500) drew_bledsoe is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    once per wk. 3 exercises for 3 sets.

P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    once per week should be sufficient. I am not a believer in "light" days.
    Try eating a little more. You are probably pretty big, 200g or protein might not be enough, especially if you are strong everywhere. What are your stats?
    Are you trying to increase your bench press or develop a better chest? they are two different goals.
    "You are what your deep, driving desire is. As your desire is, so is your will. As is your will is, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny."-
    The Upanishads, Bridhadaranyaka IV. 5

"Kill the buddha!"

Jud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Chest-once per week 4 exercises-10 sets
    A winner never quits-a quitter never
    wins.

Quit while your ahead.

The emptiest wagon makes the most noise.

Originally posted by P.T.B.W

Are you trying to increase your bench press or develop a better chest? they are two different goals.
    i'm trying to develop a better chest, both in size and definition. but i thought that in order to increase mass you need to go heavy, so i try to go real heavy and then burn out at the end.

i also skipped my thursday chest this week. so i'll see how i feel this monday