bigphishy56 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigphishy56 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigphishy56 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigphishy56 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigphishy56 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigphishy56 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigphishy56 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigphishy56 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigphishy56 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigphishy56 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigphishy56 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Dumbell Press vs Barbell Press

If my goal is to increase overall strength, would you suggest that i perform incline/decline barbell presses or dumbell presses?

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    in general, barbell all the way....but, from time to time you can do some db presses also because they have their own benefits such as showing when one side is getting stronger than the other
    "Humility comes before honor"

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bigphishy56 View Post
    If my goal is to increase overall strength, would you suggest that i perform incline/decline barbell presses or dumbell presses?

Either.

Whichever one you like more.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

ballinfrogs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballinfrogs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballinfrogs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballinfrogs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballinfrogs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballinfrogs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballinfrogs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballinfrogs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballinfrogs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballinfrogs is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ballinfrogs is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    They are both great workouts, just make sure you also do incle press, sometimes I like to rotate, if I do a flat barbell, then I'll do a incline dumbell, and vice-versa...
    Current Stats :
    Height - 5'11
    Weight - 184
    Age - 22

Bulking till 220...

scrace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scrace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scrace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scrace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scrace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scrace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scrace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scrace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scrace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scrace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) scrace is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    do both, works different muscles and db stimulates more fibers than barbell
    “To have faith is to trust yourself to the water. When you swim you don't grab hold of the water, because if you do you will sink and drown. Instead you relax, and float.” ― Alan Watts

homer1 is just really nice. (+1000) homer1 is just really nice. (+1000) homer1 is just really nice. (+1000) homer1 is just really nice. (+1000) homer1 is just really nice. (+1000) homer1 is just really nice. (+1000) homer1 is just really nice. (+1000) homer1 is just really nice. (+1000) homer1 is just really nice. (+1000) homer1 is just really nice. (+1000) homer1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
    Either.

Whichever one you like more.
    He said his goal is to gain strength optimally...
    Generally speaking, you can gain good strength on either. But you would obviously be able to do more on the barbell press to start with. So then you would be able to make increments more often. And, you have to make 10lb increments with DB's unless you have microplates.

So I would go with BB if there was no other particular reason why you want to use DB's.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by homer1 View Post
    No **** best regards.

Functional strength is different than how much you actually move. Again, by your logic, a hammer strength press would be better than both because you can use more weight.

Dumbbells develop real world strength, as you are using each side in isolation.

In fact, if you really were a sports trainer, you would know that bilateral movements limit the amount of force you can generate, and are mostly useful in bilateral applications.

Stop claiming to be a sports trainer. I know you are not one.

Generally speaking, you can gain good strength on either. But you would obviously be able to do more on the barbell press to start with. So then you would be able to make increments more often. And, you have to make 10lb increments with DB's unless you have microplates.

So I would go with BB if there was no other particular reason why you want to use DB's.

Wrong, as explained above.

You need to knock it off.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

homer1 is just really nice. (+1000) homer1 is just really nice. (+1000) homer1 is just really nice. (+1000) homer1 is just really nice. (+1000) homer1 is just really nice. (+1000) homer1 is just really nice. (+1000) homer1 is just really nice. (+1000) homer1 is just really nice. (+1000) homer1 is just really nice. (+1000) homer1 is just really nice. (+1000) homer1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    No **** best regards.

Functional strength is different than how much you actually move. Again, by your logic, a hammer strength press would be better than both because you can use more weight.

Dumbbells develop real world strength, as you are using each side in isolation.

In fact, if you really were a sports trainer, you would know that bilateral movements limit the amount of force you can generate, and are mostly useful in bilateral applications.

Stop claiming to be a sports trainer. I know you are not one.

Wrong, as explained above.

You need to knock it off.
    Yeah well screw you. Put on ignore so I dont have to read your crap.

But to answer your question, yes, DB's require more muscular stabilization, as each side have to push the weight up individually.

And I usually use DB's in athletes like football players since they will rarely use both arms at the same time with the exact same amount of force on each end. And like you said, DB's would be superior in that respect.

But we dont really know what he is wanting to use his strength for. If he is looking to just add as much weight to the bar as he can, BB would be better. If he is looking to gain maximal muscle, well, either could work. Functional strength, probably a DB. It all depends...

Championing Mediocrity Motorbreath's Avatar
    Motorbreath is on a distinguished road. (+10) Motorbreath is on a distinguished road. (+10) Motorbreath is on a distinguished road. (+10) Motorbreath is on a distinguished road. (+10) Motorbreath is on a distinguished road. (+10) Motorbreath is on a distinguished road. (+10) Motorbreath is on a distinguished road. (+10) Motorbreath is on a distinguished road. (+10) Motorbreath is on a distinguished road. (+10) Motorbreath is on a distinguished road. (+10) Motorbreath is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think they both give good strength gains if I had to choose I would pick Barbell Press.

Yeah well screw you. Put on ignore so I dont have to read your crap.

But to answer your question, yes, DB's require more muscular stabilization, as each side have to push the weight up individually.

And I usually use DB's in athletes like football players since they will rarely use both arms at the same time with the exact same amount of force on each end. And like you said, DB's would be superior in that respect.

But we dont really know what he is wanting to use his strength for. If he is looking to just add as much weight to the bar as he can, BB would be better. If he is looking to gain maximal muscle, well, either could work. Functional strength, probably a DB. It all depends...

Well......

then stop making definative statements like this..

Originally Posted by homer1

And it wasn't a question...

It was a statement explaining how you were incorrect.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah well screw you. Put on ignore so I dont have to read your crap...
    Defiant post crap? lol

Originally Posted by SmallStrength View Post
    Defiant post crap? lol
    He quotes every statement I make and acts like I'm lying about who I am...

tries to act like he knows me or somethin..

so yes....

mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    No **** best regards.
    ???

so yes....
    Give it up dude, you aren't a "sports trainer" that is working on his PhD. What is your thesis on? I'd be interested to know.

That would mean you have a Masters in a related field, and you sure as hell wouldn't need to cut and paste most of your info or use "Rippetoes" as the basis of your knowledge on correct squat depth.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SmallStrength has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

so yes....
    He has proven himself the be one of the most knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum...

You on the other hand just joined this forum and no one knows who you are yet you keep posting as if everything you say is fact, only to be proven wrong later on. You won't even give out your background, stats, or anything. You need to gain the trust of the forum before you post the way you do. If not, make your post more opinion oriented than fact.

bigphishy56 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigphishy56 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigphishy56 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigphishy56 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigphishy56 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigphishy56 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigphishy56 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigphishy56 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigphishy56 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigphishy56 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigphishy56 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    thanks for the advice everyone. Would you recommend two chest workouts a week - one in which i perform a barbell press and one in which i perform a dumbell press? I speculate that this would develop individual as well as coordinated aspects of the muscle group, though i am by no means an expert when it comes to weight training.

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    thanks for the advice everyone. Would you recommend two chest workouts a week - one in which i perform a barbell press and one in which i perform a dumbell press? I speculate that this would develop individual as well as coordinated aspects of the muscle group, though i am by no means an expert when it comes to weight training.

thats one way to go about it...then again there are many ways which will work. If you are relatively new at lifting (2 years or less) id have you mainly stick with barbells for the main movements...but also use soem dumbells

maybe like this

Mon
    barbell bench 4-5 sets x 5 reps
    incline db bench 3x8-10

Thur
    barbell bench 3x6-8 reps
    incline db 3x6

or something like that.

IMO until you are benching like 225 for reps with a barbell, you dont have a lot of business using db's as the main exercise. The exception would be if you have been flat bb benching for like 12 weeks or something and are just burned out on it. In that case you need to switch to somethign else for a while to give the body some variability....so dumbells might be used in that period for maybe 4-8 weeks or something. But then get back to building that flat bench up.

just a side note....a lot of pros might say 'flat bench isnt all that important'.....but then you find out that they worked up to 450-500 on flat bench, lol. So it is sort of like a millionaire saying "money isnt important to me"

Barbells will always be the bread and butter....this has been proven for at least 50 years now
    "Humility comes before honor"

Baradir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baradir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baradir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baradir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baradir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baradir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baradir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baradir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baradir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baradir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Baradir has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yarr, but lets say your options were limited, and... oh i dont know, you had to choose between a Smith BB Press and a DB Press?
    Did Matt Furey for a month.
    Did Arnolds beginner program for a month.
    Starting out Rippetoes now, checking back in a few weeks with stats :)

Originally Posted by Baradir View Post
    Yarr, but lets say your options were limited, and... oh i dont know, you had to choose between a Smith BB Press and a DB Press?
    DB Press for sure...

jb0ne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jb0ne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok another maybe not so hypothetical situation... let's say one pec is significantly larger, stronger, and fuller than the other. But you're still at the beginner/novice weightlifting level. Should one do DB's until they even out then switch to BB press, or do BB press primarily?
    Yeah this is my problem. I did BB only for a while hoping it would just fix itself, but it has not, both sides have grown so are larger and still VERY uneven. And shaped differently. (One seems almost atrophied, there is a strip of fibers across the small pec that has not grown at all...). So been doing DB for months, but not much difference it seems.

Originally Posted by jb0ne View Post
    Ok another maybe not so hypothetical situation... let's say one pec is significantly larger, stronger, and fuller than the other. But you're still at the beginner/novice weightlifting level. Should one do DB's until they even out then switch to BB press, or do BB press primarily?
    Yeah this is my problem. I did BB only for a while hoping it would just fix itself, but it has not, both sides have grown so are larger and still VERY uneven. And shaped differently. (One seems almost atrophied, there is a strip of fibers across the small pec that has not grown at all...). So been doing DB for months, but not much difference it seems.
    It'll take care of itself usually... have you gotten stronger on the bench press?

Demon Fitness - Owner demonwareltd's Avatar
    demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000) demonwareltd is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Give it up dude, you aren't a "sports trainer" that is working on his PhD. What is your thesis on? I'd be interested to know.

That would mean you have a Masters in a related field, and you sure as hell wouldn't need to cut and paste most of your info or use "Rippetoes" as the basis of your knowledge on correct squat depth.
    Here, here! I've never seen someone do so much cut and pasting in a forum before!!

Legal250 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Legal250 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Legal250 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Legal250 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Legal250 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Legal250 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Legal250 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Legal250 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Legal250 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Legal250 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Looks to me like you've answered your own question. You wish to even out your chest muscles which you beleive have gotten worse since using a BB. Maybe you should give DB's a try.

As for me, using DB's helped significantly for strength. I was barely moving up with a BB when I swiched to DB's exlusively for 3 months. When I switched back I realized how much of a huge jump in stength I had made. Please also keep in mind that this could have been due to variation which seems like something you may want to remember as from the sounds of things you have been using a BB for a while.

DB's take a bit to get use to but once your supporting muscles get use to stablizing the weights and you get to really isolate chest (be patient this could take a couple weeks or more) you'll really notice the benefits. I used BB alone for two years before switching. Now, I love DB presses. The ability to strech and gain more range with them is priceless along. I credit incline DB presses as giving me the ability to make growth in my upper chest.

I will add that I am no PH.D and just offering my opinion from personal experience and witnessed change.

Originally Posted by jb0ne View Post

bahpster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bahpster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bahpster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bahpster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bahpster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bahpster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bahpster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bahpster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bahpster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bahpster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bahpster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    if i were u i would use machines for mass.do the peck deck for a little while...that made my bench go from 540 lbs to 610.5 in only 10 workouts(not a typo) so yeah use the peck deck and only peck deck for ur chest workouts and ull notice great results...

my workout was..
    peck deck - 37 sets of 20 reps
    on chest days

midwestsupps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midwestsupps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midwestsupps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midwestsupps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midwestsupps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midwestsupps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midwestsupps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midwestsupps has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bahpster View Post
    if i were u i would use machines for mass.do the peck deck for a little while...that made my bench go from 540 lbs to 610.5 in only 10 workouts(not a typo) so yeah use the peck deck and only peck deck for ur chest workouts and ull notice great results...

my workout was..
    peck deck - 37 sets of 20 reps
    on chest days
    someone punch this guy

bahpster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bahpster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bahpster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bahpster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bahpster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bahpster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bahpster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bahpster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bahpster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bahpster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bahpster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    yeah that reminds me midwest....gettign punched in diff muscles makes them huge and hard.so go and get punched by ppl

Originally Posted by bahpster View Post
    yeah that reminds me midwest....gettign punched in diff muscles makes them huge and hard.so go and get punched by ppl
    hahaha for those of you who dont know, he was joking

wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wh0died has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mjw8204 View Post
    ???
    Homer1 is a 14 year old kid that gives advice out the wazoo without any real world experience backing it???
    MMA/Strength training journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=975331