Thread: bicep curls

stylin_styles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

bicep curls

Hi,
    I am just wondering if doing bicep curls with an ez-curl bar is just as good as doing them with a straight bar. Thanks

Banned user87745477315471972481's Avatar
    user87745477315471972481 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) user87745477315471972481 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) user87745477315471972481 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) user87745477315471972481 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) user87745477315471972481 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    no since it does not work the inner bicep enough

seanconnery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanconnery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanconnery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanconnery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanconnery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanconnery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yup, it's ez-er on the biceps than the straight bar. Nothing beat cable curls though.

McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I get more of a stretch on the EZ bar than the cables. However, the best way is to use a combination of EZ, dumbell, and cables.
    The world is yours.

seanconnery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanconnery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanconnery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanconnery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanconnery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) seanconnery has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Can't beat the freaky pump from cables. Not good for the beginning of your workout since it's so demanding on your biceps but damned near impossible for the end.

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    imo, cables are a waste of time. More of a finishing movement than a building movement, and there are plently of building movements and better finishing movements(like zane curls)

$-=SeAn NaL=-$ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) $-=SeAn NaL=-$ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Gmav
    no since it does not work the inner bicep enough
    hahaha. Dude the bicep is a tiiiny muscle I wouldn't get too worried about hitting the "inner" bicep or the "outer" bicep. Stick to basic curls, barbell curls and ez curls to failure are both very effective. It's just a matter of taste. Some people like the bent bar because it's easier on the wrists, but I'd say they're equally effective.
    -=Pain is weakness leaving the body=-

timmy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timmy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timmy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timmy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timmy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timmy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timmy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timmy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timmy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timmy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) timmy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    u get a fuller range of motion with straight bar
    Get hard with no mercy, get hard with no prisoners

joehagyHH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you do not get a full range of motion using the ezbar... use the straight bar

TomGS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TomGS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TomGS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TomGS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TomGS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TomGS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TomGS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bump that, use the straight bar.

McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McMahon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    No, use the EZ bar. Straightbar sucks.
    The world is yours.

RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Do whatever is more comfortable and switch it up every few weeks. I have VERY tight forearms naturally (no its not from jerking off ). So I often opt for ez curl bars. I don't particularly like them by themselves so I use preacher curl w/e-z. Preacher allows a nice stretch of the bicep and in EMG studies show it that in terms of percentage of muscle fibers stimulated it may be the most effective bicep exercise (Muscle & Fitness sept 2001 pg 146). If straightbar doesn't give you a pump then don't do it, if e-z curl doesnt give you a pump don't do it. I always let how much of a pump I get be my guide (along with other things such as reps etc). But once again don't just stick to one exercise for months, you must switch it up.

how do you figure....... the ez bar doesnt not allow for a full contraction.... your not placing the most amount of stress you could on your biceps.. which means you wont get maximal growth...... also your not getting a full ROM..... with the str8 bar.. you do get a full contraction and a full ROM. with your biceps comprised of mostly white muscle, you have to really squeeze at the top of your contraction to stimulate growth..... the straight bar will do that better than the ez bar can.........

why not do the preacher curl with the str8 bar... its what i do and i guaran FREAKING tee you that it will hurt a hell of a lot more when you get off the bench for a set.

4 plates has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4 plates has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4 plates has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4 plates has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4 plates has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4 plates has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4 plates has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4 plates has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4 plates has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4 plates has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 4 plates has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Most people I know use the straight bar but the EZ bar is alot easier on the wrists.

RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RetiredMod is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by joehagyHH
    how do you figure....... the ez bar doesnt not allow for a full contraction.... your not placing the most amount of stress you could on your biceps.. which means you wont get maximal growth...... also your not getting a full ROM..... with the str8 bar.. you do get a full contraction and a full ROM. with your biceps comprised of mostly white muscle, you have to really squeeze at the top of your contraction to stimulate growth..... the straight bar will do that better than the ez bar can.........

why not do the preacher curl with the str8 bar... its what i do and i guaran FREAKING tee you that it will hurt a hell of a lot more when you get off the bench for a set.
    I don't know the science behind it but like i cited that is what Muscle and Fitness wrote. Personally I don't feel preachers that much except in the first half of the rep, I like incline dumbell curls they were rated second in that same article at stimulating the largest percentage of muscle fibers. I don't see why you say you can't get a full range of motion w/ez curl bar, I disagree, unless you are doing it in a weird way. I like ez a bit better because I got really tight forearms and since the str8 bar puts stress of the wrist in a fairly unnatural way it makes my forearms get tired before my bi's, and I know not to be gripping the bar too tightly. I think you just have to do whats comfortable and what works for you especially when it comes to deciding between str8 and ez since there are good reasons for doing each.

IronGamePlaya has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    use what feels comfortable for sake. No one agrees. play around, its a testing experience
    -The lazy characterize US the DEDICATED as obsessed.

test all you want to.. i got scientific proof behind my answer. i just gotta pull my resource from back home.

Erkka84 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Dude!

If it doesn't hurt your wrists, do it with a straight bar.
    Real men don't need sigs!