Wreck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wreck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wreck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wreck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wreck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wreck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wreck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wreck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wreck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wreck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wreck will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Skip La Cour's Bodybuilding Nutrition

I just got my copy of the book in the mail yesterday and wondered what your opinions were on what Skip has to say about nutrition. (This is not a thread about if he's natural or not, or if someone is a "Skip worshipper" or not).

My opinions on his book:

First, as someone with somewhat a background in design, I was a little disappointed to see this $30, 70 page book look like it was produced at Kinko's. However, the layout is quite good and easy to read - very uncommon for something that appears to be a home-grown desktop publication.

Skip writes well, I find it easy to follow and a good read. He's very straightforward about bodybuilding and the effort that goes into the lifestyle, and he's somewhat motivating.

What I found most interesting is what he had to say about energy levels while bulking, the pumped up feeling and lots of energy during workouts vs. feeling so flat and energyless while cutting (I can completely relate to this - and my friends have even commented on this regarding my appearance). He's got me leaning towards trying to be more consistent with my calorie intake, making clean gains, and forgoing the "bulk, then cut" method. I seem to be able to make nice gains while bulking, but I also seem to lose quite a bit while cutting - and I hate it.

I plan on looking into the protein/carb/fat ratios a little closer as I tend to be pretty carb sensitive. Skip does layout his ratios as a starting point and mentions people will need to chose what is best for their goals and body.

Overall, I'd definitely give this book a thumbs up for a newbie such as myself. While I don't think anything he says is particularly groundbreaking, it certainly is nice to have everything laid out in one place in a concise manner so that I don't have to spend so much time digging through B.S. posts for the good info. Starting next month, I'm going to try and redo my routine and diet around the info in this book. We'll see how it goes.

-Wreck

p.s.
    Skip also autographed the book and a 8x10 to me. While I'm definitely not the kind of person to get all gushy and excited about such things, I do very much appreciate the fact that he took the time out and spent the extra effort to do it.

cookie_monster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cookie_monster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cookie_monster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cookie_monster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cookie_monster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cookie_monster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cookie_monster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cookie_monster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cookie_monster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cookie_monster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) cookie_monster has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Wreck

Thanks for the honest review of Skip's book. While I don't really care if he uses drugs or not, he does seem to have his head on straight when it comes to proper nutrition. The only problem I have with him is that he seems to push AST supplements a lot. For example, if you look at his "diet" from his Team U journal he seems to constantly be using AST's MRP or Nitro Pro 40. Whether on not this how he actually eats, who knows. But I think its wrong to appear to say that supplements are superior to whole real foods.

RAEKWON201 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAEKWON201 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAEKWON201 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAEKWON201 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAEKWON201 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAEKWON201 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAEKWON201 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAEKWON201 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAEKWON201 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAEKWON201 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RAEKWON201 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    nice post.skips nutrition books sounds pretty good does he have a training book also or is it both in one.right now im reading IRONMANS encyclopedia of bodybuilding.its pretty good.its laid out as a big ass ironman magazine with only the best articles they liked and put them in a book.any other good books out there.

ps i have arnolds and its not that good at all.only good for motivation.

JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JamesBarlow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I got the PDF version so I can't speak to the quality of the layout, but I really like it.

The one thing people need to realize is that Skip likes to use a rather low carb diet, at least low by many peoples standards. I have always liked a low carb diet and this is one of the reasons that I really like the book. All to often I read a book or see a posting by someone who says you need to eat a lot of carbs and get fat to gain muscle. Those people will say the book is full of crap and you will never gain following his outline.

His diet guidelines work for me and that's all that matters to me. It's also improtant for people who may be interested in the book to realize that it is really just a guideline. He goes to great lengths to make sure the reader understands that you should not blindly follow his writting and expect to make changes. This is one of the reasons why I really like him, as a bodybuilder and as a persons.

The AST stuff is because he is partly sponsored by them. I am sure he gets a hefty discount, or they may be free, so I would say they are what he takes. As long as you can get past the marketing side of his writtings I think there is a lot to learn from his book, if you are willing to read it with an open mind.

His training book is called "Thinking Big" but it does not give any workout information. It is mostly about the psychology of how he trains and lives. It is an excelent read and a great source of inspiration.

For his actual in the gym training he follows the Max-OT program which is detailed on the AST web site.
    "Pain is a state of MIND -
    - Mass is a state of BEING"
    This one is my own.

musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000) musmar is just really nice. (+1000)
    Bump

syko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) syko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) syko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) syko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) syko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) syko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) syko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) syko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) syko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) syko is a jewel in the rough. (+500) syko is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

So you are going......

Post that on up here so we can all download it right?

\peace.