Brian is just really nice. (+1000) Brian is just really nice. (+1000) Brian is just really nice. (+1000) Brian is just really nice. (+1000) Brian is just really nice. (+1000) Brian is just really nice. (+1000) Brian is just really nice. (+1000) Brian is just really nice. (+1000) Brian is just really nice. (+1000) Brian is just really nice. (+1000) Brian is just really nice. (+1000)

Fitting deadlifts and squats into a three day split

Gentlemen,

Working on my three-day split routine, I seem to have some up against three mutually exclusive requirements:
    1) I want to have one of the big three compound movements in every workout (squat, deadlift, bench press) to benefit from the high stimulation and pack on mass.
    2) I don't want alot of cross-working between workouts that may lead to overworking.
    3) I don't want to overtrain within a workout.

It seems impossible to achieve these two simultaneously for deadlifts and squats. Deadlifts hit 60% lower back and 40% quads and glutes. Squats hit 60% quads and glutes and 40% lower back.

If I put them both on the same day, by the time I've done enough to have worked my back, then doing squats may be overtraining, and vice-versa.

If I put them on different days, same thing, it's not all sure I'll have recovered just three days later, and re-working those muscles may be overtraining.

I don't want to alternate deadlifts one week and suats the next, 'cause my back is really appreciating weekly work. but not doing squats I feel my quads aren't getting worked enough.

What have experienced lifters done? Have you found that, for example, deadlifts monday and squats friday leaves enough time for recuperation (remember, this is the over 40 crowd)? Is there some arrangement that works that I haven't thought of?

ralph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ralph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ralph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ralph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ralph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ralph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ralph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ralph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ralph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ralph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ralph is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Well-I wouldn't worry about the BP---there shouldn't be any overlap. I had the same problem with squat/dead overlap
    tho..(I wouldn't dream of doing them on the same day).
    I do BLDL once a week...I USED to squat once a week
    but what I did to address the overlap problem was
    change to shrug bar deads once a week alternating
    with squatting every other week. The shrug bar deads
    probably work the legs a little more and the back a little
    less than str8 bar deads do. It'll work the back a little
    more & the legs a little less than squatting will. I've had
    good results doing this....This assumes your gym has
    a shrug bar of course...A big "if".....If you nag them enough
    maybe they'll spring for one--(about $180....a bargain IMO).....
    Hope this helps---thanks-Ralph

Brian is just really nice. (+1000) Brian is just really nice. (+1000) Brian is just really nice. (+1000) Brian is just really nice. (+1000) Brian is just really nice. (+1000) Brian is just really nice. (+1000) Brian is just really nice. (+1000) Brian is just really nice. (+1000) Brian is just really nice. (+1000) Brian is just really nice. (+1000) Brian is just really nice. (+1000)
    Ya, Ralph, that sounds like a good idea.

But, after some more reading, I think I'm going to just give it a shot doing deadlifts on monday and squats on friday. We'll see what that does, and if I'm killing my back on monday 'cause my legs aren't doing their part, then I'll try yours.

I've pretty much settled on a three-day split that I'm going to try for a couple fo months:

monday: back & bi's

wednesday: chest, shoulders & tri's

friday: legs & abs.

I'll keep you posted on if it works.

imhere4tehlulz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imhere4tehlulz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imhere4tehlulz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imhere4tehlulz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imhere4tehlulz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imhere4tehlulz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imhere4tehlulz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imhere4tehlulz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imhere4tehlulz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imhere4tehlulz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) imhere4tehlulz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have this same question. Im also doing a 3 day split and trying to fit in Deadlifts and Squats in. But I dont want to overwork because im aiming for putting on mass. Say my routine looks like this:

Day1 Chest + Back

Day2 Bi's + Tri's

Day3 Legs + Shoulders

Im guessing Deadlifts on day 1 and Squats day 3? Also looking for recomendations on rest. Im 31 and looking to put on mass/weight. Thanks!

inb4 strong bump

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by imhere4tehlulz View Post
    I have this same question. Im also doing a 3 day split and trying to fit in Deadlifts and Squats in. But I dont want to overwork because im aiming for putting on mass. Say my routine looks like this:

Day1 Chest + Back

Day2 Bi's + Tri's

Day3 Legs + Shoulders

Im guessing Deadlifts on day 1 and Squats day 3? Also looking for recomendations on rest. Im 31 and looking to put on mass/weight. Thanks!

inb4 strong bump
    I used to do squats and deads on the same day. On a 3 day split you might be better off. If you do squats day 1 and try to do deads day 3 you may still be too sore.

-=FLEX=-

Oh, and strong bump.
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You can also rotate deads and squats.

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by -=FLEX=- View Post
    I used to do squats and deads on the same day. On a 3 day split you might be better off. If you do squats day 1 and try to do deads day 3 you may still be too sore.

-=FLEX=-

Oh, and strong bump.

I do this.

And I used to alternate between deadlift focused and squat focused.

Recently I have seen that my legs are actually hit great by doing deads first 5x5 for example, and then doing only two or three sets of high rep (12-15) atg squats. I follow up with 3 sets extensions and 3 sets leg curls and that is my workout once a week. (plus calves)

Going to keep it like this for a while and see how my legs respond.

And to the strong bump comment....at least someone seems to be using the search function! ....hell reps for that!
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ajohnson5080 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by -=FLEX=- View Post

-=FLEX=-

Oh, and strong bump.
    I can't imagine doing squats and deads on the same day-- God bless you!! I am exhausted just thinking about it!

DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000) DanielBeauchamp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I've done squats, deadlifts, and benching all in the same day before. It was fun.

OP, why not do squats at the beginning of the week and deadlifts at the end of it? That's 72 hours of recovery; plenty of time.

Or you could alternate squats and deadlifts each week.

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i've enjoyed bill starr's 5 x 5, which is a 3 day full body split. some folks don't want to hit body parts more than once. have no idea why.

i've also had success with a ABA BAB rotation. alternate deads and squats.

but if you are set on a 3 day split as outlined, put the deads and squats as far apart as you can.

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ajohnson5080 View Post
    I can't imagine doing squats and deads on the same day-- God bless you!! I am exhausted just thinking about it!
    That was a while ago. But I do deadlifts and leg press every Friday.

Squats on Tuesday.

That usually gives my lower back and knees enough recovery time.
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LiamGTR91 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Give rack pulls a try and then they can go in your back day, thay way sqauts won't acceft your deadlift, and you can still train your back

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ajohnson5080 View Post
    I squat and dead the same day all the time, and sometimes after that I do atlas stones and farmers. Your body adapts by getting stronger.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) DSUP is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    FWIW, I train shoulders, chest and triceps on Monday, back and biceps on Wednesday, and legs on Friday.

Deads are on back day.

Squats are on legs day.

Oh, and abs are MWF...
    "It doesn't matter what exercise you do, but man was made to move, to eat sparingly, to work hard and to screw as much as he can manage. Do all that, and you will look as good as your genes will let you, be content as the arseholes around you will allow, and maybe get a few screws. The particular virtues of weight training are in the discipline it brings to both mind and body, and, if you do it right, it will make you look good naked and do well what you got your clothes off to do." Georgeoz

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    3) I don't want to overtrain within a workout.
    Personally, I think people worry WAY WAY WAY to much about overtraining. I think undertraining is much more common and a bigger problem.

Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    If I put them both on the same day, by the time I've done enough to have worked my back, then doing squats may be overtraining, and vice-versa.
    Not that Im suggesting my training for everybody, but for what it's worth I squat and dead the same day. My training basically goes like this

tuesday: squat, dead, and strongman accessories ( sometimes a few events themselves ). Usually I do one heavy and one light-ish ( both both are over 500 pounds most sessions ), i.e. heavy squats/lighter deads and next week heavy deads/light-ish squats.
    thursday: overhead pressing accessories ( like upper back work and direct tricep work)
    saturday: strongman events. usually 3-4 out of the following, log/axle clean and press, deadlifting ( axle or barbell ), tire flips, atlas stones, conans wheel, yoke walk, farmers walk, sandbag carry/load, truck push/pull,....
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

NikolaiKlokov will become famous soon enough. (+50) NikolaiKlokov will become famous soon enough. (+50) NikolaiKlokov will become famous soon enough. (+50) NikolaiKlokov will become famous soon enough. (+50) NikolaiKlokov will become famous soon enough. (+50) NikolaiKlokov will become famous soon enough. (+50) NikolaiKlokov will become famous soon enough. (+50) NikolaiKlokov will become famous soon enough. (+50) NikolaiKlokov will become famous soon enough. (+50) NikolaiKlokov will become famous soon enough. (+50) NikolaiKlokov will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm not sure it's what you want but I think you could do a legs/push/pull/off and repeat where you do deadlifts on pull days. Squats on leg days and bench on push obviously.