Dothackdewey is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dothackdewey is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dothackdewey is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dothackdewey is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dothackdewey is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dothackdewey is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dothackdewey is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dothackdewey is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dothackdewey is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dothackdewey is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dothackdewey is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How many times a week can You bench squat and Deadlift?

If they are in the same workout, would 3 a week be ok for someone wanting to gain power?

Sorry I'm a n00b....

daniel_rus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You mean squatting and deadlifting 3x a week?
    Bench: 72.5 x 1
    ATG Squat: 80 x 1
    Dead: 130 x 1

Alex_Kap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex_Kap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex_Kap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex_Kap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex_Kap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex_Kap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex_Kap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex_Kap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex_Kap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex_Kap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex_Kap has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    depends wut level ur at...but honestly if it actually is 3X per week per movement then i say its overkill, twice is enough

fivetwenty0ne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fivetwenty0ne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fivetwenty0ne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fivetwenty0ne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fivetwenty0ne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fivetwenty0ne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fivetwenty0ne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fivetwenty0ne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fivetwenty0ne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fivetwenty0ne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fivetwenty0ne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    If you on rippetoes starting strength dont mess with it.... squat 3x a week and depending on what week you are on deadlift 1 or 2 times that week.

bazerk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bazerk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bazerk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bazerk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bazerk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bazerk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bazerk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bazerk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bazerk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Twice per week is good for strength development, however, cut down on the movements. If I'm trying to build strength I'll only do 4-5 sets with one warm-up (really light in weight- concentrating on streching the muscle) then do 3 working sets (5 reps), then if I'm feeling up to it a cool down. Remember working out for strength is different then for physique 4-7 minute breaks in between sets and you should leave the gym feeling like you could still hit more. Then come back later in the week and do another session of the same body part. Remember only one movement is necessary per body part per day however you can hit your secondary muscles however you choose. Its kinda the antithesis of bodybuilding, I know, but it develops strength at a faster rate. Good luck!

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    some people feel that you can bench 3x, squat 2x, dead 1x

I did routines a few times last year where I used those numbers

like this

M-squat, bench (doesnt matter which comes first)

W-dead, bench

Fr-squat, bench

then you just add in delts/back/arms etc wherever it seems right

some people would use military press or incline bench on Wed instead of flat bench
    "Humility comes before honor"

Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lee_5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i dont reckon you need squats 3 x a week, and deadlifts 3 x a week.

Dothackdewey is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dothackdewey is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dothackdewey is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dothackdewey is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dothackdewey is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dothackdewey is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dothackdewey is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dothackdewey is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dothackdewey is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dothackdewey is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dothackdewey is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Oh ok thanks guys.

Well, the thing is I'm ADDICTED to deadlifting. I like love it now, it's fun lol. but I only get to do it once a week.

BUT, my program (Bill Starr's.) only says to do it once a week, but heavy row like twice a week. That's why I wanted to substitute another deadlift for a row or something because I love doing it so much.

Haha.

I will just keep the program the same I think then. Maybe once every other week take out a heavy row and add deadlift.

fivetwenty0ne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fivetwenty0ne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fivetwenty0ne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fivetwenty0ne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fivetwenty0ne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fivetwenty0ne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fivetwenty0ne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fivetwenty0ne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fivetwenty0ne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fivetwenty0ne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) fivetwenty0ne has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Deadlifting is my favorite also. Only been doing it for a few weeks kinda sucks that i've missed out all these years on it.

Originally Posted by fivetwenty0ne
    Deadlifting is my favorite also. Only been doing it for a few weeks kinda sucks that i've missed out all these years on it.
    Me too! I started like a month ago.

I started at 115lbs barely repping 5.

Now I'm at like easily repping 185.

Yeah my legs are weak. I bench almost as much as a squat lol.

=/ But my back and legs are getting so strong with Deadlifting. i lvoe it.

f00t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f00t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f00t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f00t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f00t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f00t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f00t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f00t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f00t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f00t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) f00t is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    i've heard that 2x a week is ideal. but then again, smolov makes you squat 4x a week at 90%+ and people get tremendous gains from it. so what do i know

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I did the smolov, that's a routine that's only supposed to be done maybe every 6 months IF THAT since it's sheer bloody hell on your legs. There's also the soviet routine where you do the lift 3 times a week for 6 weeks, some pretty high volume routines out there, but normally 2 times a week is good for most lifts.
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

US Army Soldier Medic DempseyFan's Avatar
    DempseyFan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DempseyFan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DempseyFan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DempseyFan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know what you all mean. I started deadlifting in January and I kept thinking "Why didn't I know about this before?". I started doing 5x5 with 150 lb.s, now I'm at 3x3 with 280 lb.s and about to raise it to 290 lb.s. Last time I maxed I got 300 lb.s, but that was when I was working with 260 lb.s.
    "Tall men come down to my height when I hit 'em in the body."-Jack Dempsey

"In the ring, I never really knew fear."
    -Rocky Marciano

"Why waltz 10 rounds with an opponent if you can KO him in one?" -Rocky Marciano.

KentPower is just really nice. (+1000) KentPower is just really nice. (+1000) KentPower is just really nice. (+1000) KentPower is just really nice. (+1000) KentPower is just really nice. (+1000) KentPower is just really nice. (+1000) KentPower is just really nice. (+1000) KentPower is just really nice. (+1000) KentPower is just really nice. (+1000) KentPower is just really nice. (+1000) KentPower is just really nice. (+1000)
    At your strength level 2 x per week is fine. As you get stronger you will find that your recovery periods lengthen; then you'll have to drop it to once a week.

*edit* I just realised the thread title was a question lol.

I only bench, squat and deadlift once a week, due to the program I'm on, (push, pull, legs). I can't recover fast enough to deadlift twice a week, but I could bench and squat twice a week if necessary.
    Last edited by Riddicks_bro; 11-23-2006 at 04:14 PM.
    Infrequent poster.

Get er Done is on a distinguished road. (+10) Get er Done is on a distinguished road. (+10) Get er Done is on a distinguished road. (+10) Get er Done is on a distinguished road. (+10) Get er Done is on a distinguished road. (+10) Get er Done is on a distinguished road. (+10) Get er Done is on a distinguished road. (+10) Get er Done is on a distinguished road. (+10) Get er Done is on a distinguished road. (+10) Get er Done is on a distinguished road. (+10) Get er Done is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    2-3x for SQ and BP and 1-2x for DL Would be good for most ppl
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, Then, Is not an act, But a habit. - Aristotle

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    I like squatting 2x a week, heavy PL style squats for low reps in one workout and lighter Oly style squats in the other for higher reps, and deadlifting only once every 7-10 days.

If I was going to have a 2nd deadlift session in a week it'd be speed pulls and maybe RDLs, nothing heavy.