Thread: who runs track?

CCchamp140 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

who runs track?

Well? How many lifters in here run track? Or have run track? What events do/die you do? This will be my second year and i run 400 m and 4X400 and sometimes 4X100. Any sugestions to speed up my 400? My best time was a 55.?? That was my first year. Not too bad i guess....
    B.W. 148
    Bench: 325 (RAW)
    Squat: 325x4 (BELT)
    DL: 345 (BELT)
    P.C 195 lbs Maxin soon

solorex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do track, but I don't do too many 400's. I have ran a 51 or 52 split, I forget. The 400 is different because you need sprinters speed and distance runner's endurance of you really want to be good. I'd keep the reps high on lifting, and doing intervals on the track to build your speed endurance, like 200's, 300's, 400's, and even longer. stretch.
    5'10.5 195 4% bf
    clean=330 snatch=230
    bench=315 squat=500

"I'm a great believer in luck. I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
    - Henry Ford

xc-racer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile

I'm in track and I'm a jumper/sprinter. I did the triple jump, long jump and 4 x 100 last year. I started the high jump about two thirds through the season and ran a regular 100 the final meet. It's two bad we are only allowed to compete in four events per meet since I want to run the 200 also.

Your 400 time of 55 isn't anything to feel bad about, thats real good for your first year. Powercleans will help you a lot with sprinting and so will lifts that involve the hamstrings.

Ladder Intervals will help you a lot also, so will run-jog-sprints. Here is the ladder interval we would run in cross coutnry practice: 200m 300m 400m 600m 800 600m 400m 300m, 200m
    Give yourself a fair amount of rest inbetween sprints.

Run-Jog-Sprints are another type of interval training we did in cros country. We would run 200m at our "race pace" then job 200m and then full out sprint 200m. Do that with no rest between going from a run to jog to a sprint. We ran 200m 400m 600m.

Registered User Builderofmuscle's Avatar
    Builderofmuscle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you all have great workouts. I'm a martial artist, but I weight train and run on a regular basis. I just came up with this new type of train, which I like to call H.E.A.T. It's basically a combination of things I've learned. H.E.A.T. stands for High Endurance Anaerobic Training. Here's an article I wrote on it:

H.E.A.T: High Endurance Anaerobic Training

Aerobic training is meant to increase your lactic threshold, and anaerobic training is meant to increase your VO2 max. But combining the two is considered Interval Training.
    My question is, can you maintain your top speed for longer periods of time? If so, than why would you do multiple bouts of intense training, such as Interval Training. If you truly want to stay at your fastest level for longer periods, than you should only have one all-out bout.
    In other words, lets say you want to increase your sprinting endurance. This means that you want to stay at your top speed for as long as humanely possible. So why would you do multiple sets? When you do multiple sets, you spread yourself too thin, and instead don't go all-out on your training.
    What you should do, is gradually decrease the time, and increase the intensity. Than, when you've reached your peak, maintain that intensity, but increase the time.
    So, a sample sprinting regimen would look like this:

Phase 1 (Anaerobic)

Week 1 3 sprints x 30 sec
    Week 2 2 sprints x 45 sec
    Week 3 1 sprint x 60 sec

Phase 2 (Endurance)

Week 4 1 sprint x 60 sec
    Week 5 1 sprint x 75 sec
    Week 6 1 sprint x 90 sec

I suggest alternating between the two phases every three weeks. After phase 2, you would do something like this:

Week 7 1 sprint x 90 sec
    Week 8 2 sprints x 75 sec
    Week 9 3 sprints x 60 sec

You may not make improvements typical to this. Include 3 sprint workouts per week. In fact, when doing this training, either only rely on the 3 sprint workouts as you're cardio, or eat a very high number of calories. Even though each workout is no more than a few minutes, I suggest a 15 - 20 minute warmup and 15 - 20 minute cooldown.

Feel free to use the techniques, or comment on them. I'll listen to all your comments and critisizms.

Thebestever has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I ran track in high school...Events ranged from 110-300 hurdles, 4X100 relay, Sprint Medley Relay, Long jump, Triple Jump...

Honestly, the backbone to a good quarter miler is running the hell out of 600's. Personally I can't stand them that's why I was never that great at the quarter, but 600's did help a great deal. Work on 600's along with "killer two's". That's where we did 10 200's with a walk across the field as our rest, and right back at it. I think we had to hit 26 seconds on all 10. You should throw up by 6!

Hope this helps.

Oh yea, your time of 55 ticks isn't bad at all...What grade are you in?

THanks guys. Your info will help and hopefully ill do really good this year. This year I am a junior. Ill keep you posted as time goes on...

Later guys
    B.W. 148
    P.C 195 lbs Maxin soon

Vehementi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Vehementi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Vehementi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Vehementi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Vehementi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Vehementi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Vehementi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Vehementi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Vehementi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Vehementi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Vehementi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    400m is the most grueling race in track. I did the thrower's relay last year and really didn't like it. My split time was ~60, but I'm not a sprinter

that's pretty good, for a non-sprinter. Those weights are pretty nice too. Keep training, and good luck to all.

Conscience is the inner voice that warns us somebody may be looking.
    H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956), A Mencken Chrestomathy (1949)

Mummer43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mummer43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mummer43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mummer43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mummer43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mummer43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mummer43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mummer43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mummer43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mummer43 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mummer43 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'd say the 300 IM hurdles is the most grueling race in track, but them again that steeplechase looks pretty intense.

I was a jumper in my track days. Triple jump was my forte and I was a mid-40's jumper.

Do any of you include plyometrics into your training?

"Advertising is the modern substitute for argument; its function is to make the worse appear the better."
    George Santayana (1863 - 1952)

Yup! We did last year.
    B.W. 148
    P.C 195 lbs Maxin soon

Vehementi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Vehementi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Vehementi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Vehementi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Vehementi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Vehementi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Vehementi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Vehementi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Vehementi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Vehementi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Vehementi has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally posted by Builderofmuscle
    Do any of you include plyometrics into your training?
    I am doing them as part of my program now.

VVV has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VVV has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VVV has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VVV has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VVV has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VVV has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VVV has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VVV has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VVV has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VVV has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VVV has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Damn, am I the only shotputter here? How about discus? Anyone?

shotput553 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    shot and disc here cant wait untill track is over though, i wanna start getting serious about powerlifting
    shotput553 - Fortifiediron MOD
    www.fortifiediron.com
    forums.fortifiediron.com

Originally posted by VVV
    Damn, am I the only shotputter here? How about discus? Anyone?
    Nope. Shot, disc, and javelin here.

GDS10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Vehementi
    Nope. Shot, disc, and javelin here.
    Shot, Discus, Hammer, Lil bit of Javelin and hammer, Triple and dats bout it

What are all of your distances for throws and jumps etc in Metres

Triple Jump Is My main event

Cant wait till the outdoor season starts again
    AIM - GDS10

"Do you know any good Forcep Exercises" - Tigerdagger15 (bb.com)

"wots wrong with pizza and biscuts, are they bad for cutting or someting?" - Tigerdagger15 (bb.com)

"2000 Calories, THATS INSANE" Tigerdagger15 (bb.com)

"Dude ur such a newb, how can u not bulk on 1200calories" Tigerdagger15 (bb.com)

Stats:

Triquads - 20"
    bitreps - 14
    Forceps - 13"
    Quadlats - 22"
    Abdomineps - 31"
    Peccalves - 25"

Favorite Excersices:

Bicep Extensions, Calf Curls, Sit Downs and Bent Over Bench Press

"I dont care if im fat, because im gonna work out and it will turn to muscle" - Some Fat Guy

I Hate the Follow people:

TigerDagger15, TUXEDO (txstudboy22)

I Like the following people. Sychokid (I love joo Jon :(), abdominator, bignbuff, Tallnthin, EvilGeorge

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I do track and I'm a thrower/sprinter. Do you have a speed day for lifting? If you don't I suggest you get one or two at least.

stfdsfinest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stfdsfinest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stfdsfinest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stfdsfinest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stfdsfinest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stfdsfinest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stfdsfinest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stfdsfinest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stfdsfinest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stfdsfinest has a spectacular aura about. (+250) stfdsfinest has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i do track...i run the 800 and throw shot and disc. my best 800 time is 2:07. my best throws (in feet) 36 for shot and 105 for disc, but im not really serious about them i just mess around wit it a little, by the way does anyone have any good excercises for improving disc distance
    6'3
    208 lbs

Disc PR 124'6

Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Any olympic movement you can get your hands on, go to fortifiediron.tk to learn more, but i can garuntee you it will improve your running and throwing. I gained 5 feet on my shot put in about 4 months of olympic lifting. I havn't thrown disc yet, but i was always better at discus so I will probably have improved in that by much more.

SHOTPUT(winter 2003) - 51'10
    Discus(spring 2002) - 138'

to be a good thrower in highschool you dont need to be that strong. quickness and technique are the most important. then strength.
    when training for the shot and discus you should lift heavy preseason and in the early part of the season. towards the end you want to concentrate on speed lifts, like speed bench in the westside program that type of idea.

oh yea retardo=pex im from mass too. what part of mass are you from???
    did you qualify for your class's meet?
    www.fortifiediron.com
    forums.fortifiediron.com

Originally posted by stfdsfinest
    i do track...i run the 800 and throw shot and disc. my best 800 time is 2:07. my best throws (in feet) 36 for shot and 105 for disc, but im not really serious about them i just mess around wit it a little, by the way does anyone have any good excercises for improving disc distance

Do This To Improve Discue Release Speed & Disance ::

Say u normally use a 1.75 kg discus well ask the guy for a 2Kg or Heavier and train for this for a short tme untill your arm gets used to throwing near the same distane as the 1.75Kg then when ugo back to the 1.75Kg at the start of the eason or whenever youwill be able to throw that miles

GDS
    AIM - GDS10

"wots wrong with pizza and biscuts, are they bad for cutting or someting?" - Tigerdagger15 (bb.com)

"Dude ur such a newb, how can u not bulk on 1200calories" Tigerdagger15 (bb.com)

Stats:

Triquads - 20"
    bitreps - 14
    Forceps - 13"
    Quadlats - 22"
    Abdomineps - 31"
    Peccalves - 25"

Favorite Excersices:

"I dont care if im fat, because im gonna work out and it will turn to muscle" - Some Fat Guy

I Like the following people. Sychokid (I love joo Jon :(), abdominator, bignbuff, Tallnthin, EvilGeorge

Originally posted by shotput553
    SHOTPUT(winter 2003) - 51'10
    Discus(spring 2002) - 138'

to be a good thrower in highschool you dont need to be that strong. quickness and technique are the most important. then strength.
    when training for the shot and discus you should lift heavy preseason and in the early part of the season. towards the end you want to concentrate on speed lifts, like speed bench in the westside program that type of idea.

oh yea retardo=pex im from mass too. what part of mass are you from???
    did you qualify for your class's meet?
    I'm from silver lake, I didn't qualify, I missed it by less than 6 inches but I wasn't going to go to the meet anyways becuase Its on valentines day and my girl would flip.

Originally posted by GDS10
    Do This To Improve Discue Release Speed & Disance ::

Say u normally use a 1.75 kg discus well ask the guy for a 2Kg or Heavier and train for this for a short tme untill your arm gets used to throwing near the same distane as the 1.75Kg then when ugo back to the 1.75Kg at the start of the eason or whenever youwill be able to throw that miles

GDS

Unless you're pretty big or strong, I wouldn't recomend that, it could end up ****ing with your form, and you really don't want that to happen.

Originally posted by Retardo-pex
    Unless you're pretty big or strong, I wouldn't recomend that, it could end up ****ing with your form, and you really don't want that to happen.
    Maybe so,,, I am just saying wat worked for me
    AIM - GDS10

Stats:

Triquads - 20"
    bitreps - 14
    Forceps - 13"
    Quadlats - 22"
    Abdomineps - 31"
    Peccalves - 25"

Favorite Excersices:

Originally posted by Retardo-pex
    I'm from silver lake, I didn't qualify, I missed it by less than 6 inches but I wasn't going to go to the meet anyways becuase Its on valentines day and my girl would flip.
    that sucks im gonna be there on friday, valentines day, but hopefully it will be a good day.
    what class are you in?
    Im in class A and from billerica.
    www.fortifiediron.com
    forums.fortifiediron.com

Hey I think I saw you at the coaches invitational last saturday. Do you know what the winning throws were?

52'6" - tewksbury
    52'5" - im going to say waltham but unsure
    51'10 1/2 - me
    51 - burlington
    revere
    haverhill
    www.fortifiediron.com
    forums.fortifiediron.com

Originally posted by GDS10
    What are all of your distances for throws and jumps etc in Metres
    Here's my best from freshman year, I was only 14:

Shot: 36' or I think about 11m
    Discus: 86' or 26m (I hit 89' but fell out of the ring)
    Javelin: 93' or 28.3m

I know. I have no skill

How many of you throw shot rotational?? I think I will next season.

Heh this thread has been hijacked by throwers

I've been working on my rotational shot throw, I get a maybe 3 feet under my best glide, so i usually stick with that at the meets.

this is my first year throwing with the rotation.
    my best with it is 51'10"
    but i can throw 49 some times with a standing so im still deffinatly learning with the spin.
    yesterday i actually had a 56-57 footer in practice.
    www.fortifiediron.com
    forums.fortifiediron.com