Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    newbness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My new Tuff Stuff TPR-265 Rack....

Well, I have upgraded from my old ghetto GoldsGym PowerFlex to a new Power Rack. I am still a total weak newb, but am willing to step up to the next step in my quest to get in shape. I have lost 30# and need to lose about 20# more, but I also need to start lifting especially when I am done dropping the pounds. Anyway this thread is about my new rack, so you can read more about me and why I need my rack here:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=867465

I researched alot for racks and found a Tuff Stuff dealer in an hour from my house and picked it up myself. Although this rack may cost more than others, it has alot of nice stuff and is Solid.

I wanted the quick-release pins spotter arms rather than the long rod type. This also has hooks on the front of the spotter arms. Also are a set of forward facing hooks on the back posts and two more on the forward facing and rear facing posts on the arms. It seems nice to me to have all these options for the hooks/ bar positions. These can all be located via 2" spacing on the holes which are numbered.

I opted for the plate loaded Upper/Lower Lat Tower as well. I wanted the plate loaded, but they were out. The tower is set far enough back that the issues with incline presses in the rack should not be a problem as some people have claimed on other set-ups. The rest is fairly standard stuff like a pull up bar, etc.

My package deal included the Tuff stuff Rack with Lat Tower, Tuff Stuff FID Bench with a leg attachment and a 300# olymoic weight set. I swapped the 7' bar for a 6'. All this for $1500 out the door after tax. Not bad really.

Here are some pics. The set-up is in my garage. I still need to get some rubber floor mats for the concrete floor. The store was out, but they are cheaper online anyway.

One last thing to mention is that the assemply instructions are fairly detailed with steps and pictures and all of this went together in about 4 hours by myself. I mention this because I have others speak of crappy instructions or lack of with other manufacturers stuff. Although everything went smooth, I am missing a pulley for the lower part of the Lat tower, so I cannot use the lower/rowing portion until Tuff Stuff sends me the missing pulley. An inconvenience, but no bug deal considering there was probably about 500 pices total if I include fasteners/hardware for all of this.

If anybody has any questions on this rack, I will do what I can to answer, but I am new to all this and do not know much. I used all your knowledge to help me get this far and I'll be back for more regarding lifting now.
    Last edited by newbness; 01-30-2009 at 04:37 PM.

michaelnel is on a distinguished road. (+10) michaelnel is on a distinguished road. (+10) michaelnel is on a distinguished road. (+10) michaelnel is on a distinguished road. (+10) michaelnel is on a distinguished road. (+10) michaelnel is on a distinguished road. (+10) michaelnel is on a distinguished road. (+10) michaelnel is on a distinguished road. (+10) michaelnel is on a distinguished road. (+10) michaelnel is on a distinguished road. (+10) michaelnel is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Wow, that looks like a real nice rack & bench. Have fun with it!

PS: I think it's cool how all the pics look like they are black & white / greyscale images... except for the little yellow knobs! Looks like you're working out in Pleasantville. ;-)
    Last edited by michaelnel; 11-19-2006 at 03:19 AM.

wilwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) wilwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) wilwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) wilwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) wilwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) wilwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) wilwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) wilwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) wilwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) wilwn will become famous soon enough. (+50) wilwn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    that looks like a mighty sweet setup. treat her well.

BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BDI6942 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Nice score man, good QUALITY equipment you picked up, but do yourself a favor and grab the 200lb. selectorized stack upgrade in the near future for the high/lo lat attachment. You will find that it comes in very handy.

kbreeze will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbreeze will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbreeze will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbreeze will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbreeze will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbreeze will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbreeze will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbreeze will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbreeze will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbreeze will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbreeze will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Vey nice, I just set my TPR-265 w/lat attach up yesterday too. I bought a used one which is 3 or 4 years old (black and white one, made in USA). I'm loving it!

MrKasab is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrKasab is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrKasab is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrKasab is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrKasab is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrKasab is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrKasab is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrKasab is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrKasab is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrKasab is on a distinguished road. (+10) MrKasab is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This is the rack that I think I want to buy when I get a bigger place. I like the idea of the pop pins over the standard saftey bars. Let us know if you find any short comings with this rack.

Oval Racer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oval Racer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oval Racer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oval Racer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oval Racer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oval Racer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oval Racer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Oval Racer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

tuff stuff rack

I just picked up this rack w/ weight stack. I like the pins.. The spotter bars/etc slide very smooth. Glad I got this one.

KenF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KenF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How does this compare to the cheaper Powertec rack? I don't see a pull-up bar or chin-up bar.

According to the web site, the Tuff Stuff rack is 48x48x84". Is that correct? In your shots, it looks bigger than that.

Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000)
    Nice rack...would like to have one too. I like the multiple hooks since i keep several bars on my rack to help speed things up.

C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The chinup bar is right in front.

The width of all power racks is going to be virtually the same unless it's a custom made job. They're all made to be used with typical 7' olympic bars.

KenF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KenF has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What price did you pay? Is Tuff Stuff gear typically available at a discount?

Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000) Biggerfoot is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by KenF View Post
    What price did you pay? Is Tuff Stuff gear typically available at a discount?
    I checked with a local dealer and I was quoted $599 for the rack and $399 for the lat attachment.

My Tuff Stuff dealer quoted $499 w/ local pickup.

kbreeze will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbreeze will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbreeze will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbreeze will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbreeze will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbreeze will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbreeze will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbreeze will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbreeze will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbreeze will become famous soon enough. (+50) kbreeze will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Tuff Stuff equipment is pretty expensive when purchased brand new. There are probably better deals out there, but if for example you really prefer the slider safety bars (which are real nice IMO) it may be worth it. I was lucky and found a used rack with the lat attachment + accessories + Tuff Stuff bench for sale locally. If I were to buy new though I probably would have went with the Powertec rack, b/c I think its the better value.

danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by kbreeze View Post
    Tuff Stuff equipment is pretty expensive when purchased brand new. There are probably better deals out there, but if for example you really prefer the slider safety bars (which are real nice IMO) it may be worth it. I was lucky and found a used rack with the lat attachment + accessories + Tuff Stuff bench for sale locally. If I were to buy new though I probably would have went with the Powertec rack, b/c I think its the better value.
    On something like this, u got to consider it will be used for years and (hopefully) weekly if not daily.

So, considering that, if he likes how the spotter bars work on this rack better then the standard bar of the powertec, then its well WORTH the additional investement.

Nice rack!! (can't say that to a girl) and congrats. Enjoy in good health.

--danny

So, considering that, if he likes how the spotter bars work on this rack better then the standard bar of the powertec, then its well WORTH the additional investement.
    Can you comment more on how the spotter bars are differently? I haven't seen the Powertec in person, and the local Tuff Stuff dealer doesn't have the rack assembled or on display (it's in their warehouse).

danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) danny_1970 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by KenF View Post
    Can you comment more on how the spotter bars are differently? I haven't seen the Powertec in person, and the local Tuff Stuff dealer doesn't have the rack assembled or on display (it's in their warehouse).
    Well, on the powertec, they work by slideing entire bar out of the slot, then moving it to another slot, and locking bar down into new slot.

On the tuff stuff, it seems they slide up and down cage. Then u just lock into correct position. Not sure if he is able to take entire bar out however, to do dead lifts and such..?

Enclosed is a picture, that should show in detail how a powertec bar works.. (its nothing fancy, but sure gets the job done).

--danny
    Attached Images

michaelnel is on a distinguished road. (+10) michaelnel is on a distinguished road. (+10) michaelnel is on a distinguished road. (+10) michaelnel is on a distinguished road. (+10) michaelnel is on a distinguished road. (+10) michaelnel is on a distinguished road. (+10) michaelnel is on a distinguished road. (+10) michaelnel is on a distinguished road. (+10) michaelnel is on a distinguished road. (+10) michaelnel is on a distinguished road. (+10) michaelnel is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by danny_1970 View Post
    Not sure if he is able to take entire bar out however, to do dead lifts and such..?
    I am unclear as to what use a power cage would be in doing deadlifts. Can you explain why you'd want to deadlift in a cage?

Deadlifts in a cage, your choice if u have powertec

Originally Posted by michaelnel View Post
    I am unclear as to what use a power cage would be in doing deadlifts. Can you explain why you'd want to deadlift in a cage?
    Well, as one guy pointed out, why wouldn't ya want to do it in the cage?

He claimed it was a pain moveing the bar out, and said that was a downfall of racks with spotter bars u can't remove. After all, barbell is most likely in there, and you need no additional room.

But if u have the room, and want to do it out of cage, nothing wrong with that. Guess being able to move the spotter bar out all together, just gives ya a choice, where if u can't, u have no choice and hopefully have the room. (in some rooms, including mine, the 7 foot bar space requirement isn't easy to find)

Went upstairs to investigate further on deadlifts out of cage, and found another thing. My workout mat is in my cage. Would have to buy another mat or do them on carpet.
    Last edited by danny_1970; 12-23-2006 at 03:43 PM.

C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) C Man will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Can you explain why you'd want to deadlift in a cage?
    So you can do partials. Guys will set the spotter bars at the halfway point of their deadlift and work out with heavier weights on the upper range of the movement.

Originally Posted by C Man View Post
    So you can do partials. Guys will set the spotter bars at the halfway point of their deadlift and work out with heavier weights on the upper range of the movement.
    Yea, thats called a rack pull.

I plan to do them in place of dead lifts for a while.

But i'm sure there is a little something to be said about the dead lift also...

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yea, thats called a rack pull.

I plan to do them in place of dead lifts for a while.
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

OK, understood. I wasn't disputing the usefulness of a cage for deadlifts, I just really didn't see how it would be of any more use for deads than say, a vase of daisies. ;-)

vase of daisies VS a power rack for dead lifting

OK, understood. I wasn't disputing the usefulness of a cage for deadlifts, I just really didn't see how it would be of any more use for deads than say, a vase of daisies. ;-)
    umm.. Well, lets see..

A vase of daisies don't have a workout mat in it, for me to stand and do the exercise on.

A vase of daisies don't allow me to do a different variety of the deadlift, called a rack pull.

A vase of daisies prob isn't big enuff for me to stand in and if i could, the daisies would be in my way. (and what about the weightlifters with hay fevor or feel the daisies are too girly)
    Last edited by danny_1970; 12-23-2006 at 04:44 PM.

Big Shiny Bastard vikingsrule92's Avatar
    vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    for the tuff stuff/ lamar racks for deadlifts I'm sure they can be adjusted high enough to where they don't get in your way. Also, I'd rather have the stabiltiy of those spotter bars than the removability of the powertecs anyday.

cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50) cardioking will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well, as one guy pointed out, why wouldn't ya want to do it in the cage?

He claimed it was a pain moveing the bar out, and said that was a downfall of racks with spotter bars u can't remove. After all, barbell is most likely in there, and you need no additional room.

But if u have the room, and want to do it out of cage, nothing wrong with that. Guess being able to move the spotter bar out all together, just gives ya a choice, where if u can't, u have no choice and hopefully have the room. (in some rooms, including mine, the 7 foot bar space requirement isn't easy to find)

Went upstairs to investigate further on deadlifts out of cage, and found another thing. My workout mat is in my cage. Would have to buy another mat or do them on carpet.

Why not just stand up on the bench to do them so you don't have to do a partial. Or take out the bench and make a deadlift box or something
    Goal- From 211- 155 (56 lbs) by July

Originally Posted by vikingsrule92 View Post
    for the tuff stuff/ lamar racks for deadlifts I'm sure they can be adjusted high enough to where they don't get in your way. Also, I'd rather have the stabiltiy of those spotter bars than the removability of the powertecs anyday.
    ummm. why would they be more stable then the powertecs? And, do they have to lock both sides up on the same bar? if so, what if u forget one side... would it still hold...

Agree u could slide it way up and shouldn't interfer with doing deads...

vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vikingsrule92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I don't know I don't have extensive experience with either as my lamar has still not arrived (damn denver snowstorm) it just seems more stable and that is the reviews that I have read of the safety spotters. And as you and I said I assume you can move them up/down far enough to where they won't interfere.

Originally Posted by vikingsrule92 View Post
    I don't know I don't have extensive experience with either as my lamar has still not arrived (damn denver snowstorm) it just seems more stable and that is the reviews that I have read of the safety spotters. And as you and I said I assume you can move them up/down far enough to where they won't interfere.
    Well, to be honest, can't see how it can be more "stable".. when u lock a powertec bar into the slot and lock it, it isn't going NOWHERE. (see my picts above to see what i mean)

Now there spotter bar is bigger/thicker.

Good luck with your rack. let us know how u like it when u get it!!

--danny

Like I said it's just my opinion and what I've read. It could be false but who knows. I'll make sure to post an extensive review once I've given the porduct a good workover.