knoxymom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Squats during monthly period

I hope someone can help me out here...
    I did 2 leg workouts while I was on my period over the last few days. For some reason, when I did my squats on both days I had quite a bit of discomfort/pain on the very top inside of both my thighs. I had no problems lifting the actual weight(100-115lbs), I've had no prior injury and every squat routine before now has been totally pain and discomfort free, other than the usual general muscle 'burn'. I haven't done any adductions in at least 6 weeks and when I did they were low intensity. Could this discomfor/pain have been caused by a hormonal change? Should I not squat when I am on my period? I've heard that the women'sconnective tissue and joints loosen up approaching and during a woman's period. What have been you gals' experience with squatting leading up to and during a period? What can I do know to get over this or will it go away by itself?
    I am really bummed out here as I've been really making progress just at medium intensity, squatting much less than I think I can squat, and now this happens. Please help.
    Thanks in advance.

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Don't know if this is a personal question, but what form of sanitary protection do you use? Is it possible that tampons or a cup is causing the discomfort during the squat? I find that when I'm squatting or deadlifting, the pressure generated tends to push tampons or sponges out of position, which is not comfortable and can cause leaks.

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with connective tissue loosening up.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

knoxymom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I really don't think it's ann internal thing, it's a muscle/connectivity thing because I can feel a 'reaction' when I squeeze/massage the muscles.
    The pain started during the first squat of my period and can be felt during the routine itself but also all day long . My second squat routine -with the pain- was last night and when I woke up this morning, I hurt quite a bit until after I moved around for a while then the pain decreased but is still in the background. I'm taking 800mgs of Ibuprofen a day to help any possible inflammation. So you still squat during your periods? Thanks for your reply!

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yes, and apart from the whole squeezing the tampon thing, I don't have a problem.

I know hormones can affect your body during the month, but the difference has to be very small, or it becomes a health and safety issue, and I've never heard suggestions that women can't do manual work during their period! It sounds like it might be worth looking to see if there are any other causes for your pain.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I don't experience quite the same thing but I do struggle to avoid injuring myself. Here's my thread on the topic:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=951400

Hawaii Warrior Football! bluescorpion's Avatar
    bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It sounds very similar to a strain I have in my left adductor (not related to that time of month, but persistent). For now, I would be very, very careful to be sure that ache is gone before doing squats or any other thing where you can feel it intensify. Hopefully it will just go away.

NPC Nat'l Figure Chick neelytartaglia's Avatar
    neelytartaglia is on a distinguished road. (+10) neelytartaglia is on a distinguished road. (+10) neelytartaglia is on a distinguished road. (+10) neelytartaglia is on a distinguished road. (+10) neelytartaglia is on a distinguished road. (+10) neelytartaglia is on a distinguished road. (+10) neelytartaglia is on a distinguished road. (+10) neelytartaglia is on a distinguished road. (+10) neelytartaglia is on a distinguished road. (+10) neelytartaglia is on a distinguished road. (+10) neelytartaglia is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You do experience hormonal changes all throughout your cycle, not just during menstruation. Have you ever heard that the best time to train intensely is right after you period?

Women have two primary hormones, estrogen and progesterone, that rise and fall in opposition. Immediately after your period your pro levels are higher, est levels lower (and in succession with the est fall, your natural test levels rise - test is a primary factor in muscle building). Around ovulation, pro and est level off a bit and as you move closer to your period, est rises and pro lowers. Estrogen is the "nemesis" of testosterone. The higher your est levels, the lower your test levels will be.

So, the time you're mesntruating is when your test levels (as well as energy levels) are at their lowest and training isn't going to be quite as beneficial as when the test levels are higher right after your period.

Also, it may be a bit of a psycho****tic thing. There aren't many women out there who can essentially "forget" they're bleeding. We all know the typical feelings of it, cramps, bloating, low energy, sodium and fat cravings. Perhaps you were just thinking about the fact that you were bleeding ("I hope my tampon holds while I'm doing these squats") and that just sent a subconscious factor into the mix.

Registered User SarahJonesBuena's Avatar
    SarahJonesBuena has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been wondering about this issue all day. Today is my heaviest day of my cycle and leg day. Not only am I low on energy but I'm terrified of a catastrophe while doing squats. If my gym had a pool i'do happily go swimming. Glad to read about other women with similar concerns.

viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I try to avoid squat/running/cycle on the heaviest days of my period. Mainly to avoid catastrophe and because it just feels bad.
    Instagram: vicclesloveskarate
    New log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170156703&p=1416249753#post1416249753
    Old log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166758171
    Old log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157799473&highlight=Vic%27s+log

CRascoll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRascoll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRascoll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRascoll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRascoll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRascoll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRascoll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRascoll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRascoll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRascoll has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRascoll has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Are you warming up with a good hip mobility routine? Your hips and abducutors may be tight. Seriously. I don't do anything until I've done intense hip mobility drills for 15 minutes. Just a thought .
    I squat and deadlift during that time of month. It's an hour of my day that i'll be glad I got through.