gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Are you sure you don't want the waterobics?

Hiya!

Quick intro and a question:

I'm 45 and I've been reasonably fit for my whole life from just leading an active life, working on my feet and what not but I'm getting older and ready to actually do something to gain some muscle mass and drop my bf%. I'm not fat at 5'7" at 135 but could stand to 'rearrange' my assets.

My problem: I cannot get anyone, not a gym, not a trainer, not anyone to actually coach me through how to do real weightlifting. I get sent to the yoga class schedule, put on the TRX doing squats (wat?) and handed a 2 lb. weight to curl. I've been irregular at the gym since October, more consistent in the last couple months but I'm roadblocked since I have no one coaching me on proper form and technique. I've watched video and read articles but nothing really substitutes for a person standing over me and helping with real mechanics.

Do I just lack balls and need to explain louder what I'm looking for?

AddingPins is a name known to all. (+5000) AddingPins is a name known to all. (+5000) AddingPins is a name known to all. (+5000) AddingPins is a name known to all. (+5000) AddingPins is a name known to all. (+5000) AddingPins is a name known to all. (+5000) AddingPins is a name known to all. (+5000) AddingPins is a name known to all. (+5000) AddingPins is a name known to all. (+5000) AddingPins is a name known to all. (+5000) AddingPins is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The thread title made me LOL. :P

Do you have any injuries that might explain why trainers keep sending you to the lower impact forms of exercise?
    I'm sure you can find a PT that can train you in standard resistance training. Maybe you just need to check out another gym or ask around a bit more?
    IG: @addingpins
    www.stackingplates.com

gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gaming has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by AddingPins View Post
    The thread title made me LOL. :P

Do you have any injuries that might explain why trainers keep sending you to the lower impact forms of exercise?
    I'm sure you can find a PT that can train you in standard resistance training. Maybe you just need to check out another gym or ask around a bit more?
    No injuries and I've been doing machine work and keep saying I want to get off the machines since they're not the big compound exercises that will move me along. I'm not weak and frail, I'm just not as strong as I want to be.

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It may be the gym you are at is more a "health club" than a serious lifting style gym. It may help if you go interview some other gyms who are more oriented to lifting, usually they will pull in more qualified and serious trainers.

I work in a more "health club" gym and they dont really have people lifting and really have little to no weight equipment. All kinds of machines but no power racks and such. Its why i dont work out ther

Usually it is because this type of club doesnt want lifters and caters to a different clientele, they probably dont see many ladies who actually want to lift. And when they see this special unicorn, have no idea what to do or dont believe them.

Its worth a shot.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

lchoward has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lchoward has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lchoward has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lchoward has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lchoward has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lchoward has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lchoward has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lchoward has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lchoward has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lchoward has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lchoward has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Honestly, there's nothing stopping you from teaching yourself. It may be more time consuming and you do have to be careful to prevent injury and ensure that you are doing things correctly (recording yourself on your cell phone can help ensure this), but by thoroughly reading through the stickies on the forums, doing some research online, reading the articles on bb.com, and using this forum to ask questions and see the questions and answers of others, you absolutely can teach yourself.
    In terms of a regimen and diet, bb.com has several very structured programs. Jamie Eason's is one that a lot of women on here don't particularly care for, but for a woman just getting started, it's not a bad program. Also, ICF 5x5, Stronglifts, Strong Curves are all programs you can Google . I'm doing ICF 5x5 now. I don't have any experience myself with it, but tons of the women on the forums praise Strong Curves (I believe it is a book, but you could probably get the basics of it online).
    YouTube and bb.com have excellent, detailed tutorials for the proper ways to do individual exercises. I've used YouTube a lot (note, you might want to watch a few videos of each, as just watching one could just happen to be of someone using bad form).
    I know you said you've done videos and books, but really, that and these forums is all you need. You just have to be willing to put in the time and effort to teach yourself.
    My husband has always been big into body building so a lot of my questions I have been able to direct towards him, but he has been tied up with his sons' baseball schedule and not able to go to the gym with me, so I really have taught myself. If there isn't any reason in particular that you are not going this route, I say forget a trainer and everyone else telling you you can't and show them you can!!…all on your own!
    Food Scientist
    Former ballet dancer
    Wanting to see what this body is capable of!

lchoward has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lchoward has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lchoward has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lchoward has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lchoward has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lchoward has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lchoward has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lchoward has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lchoward has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lchoward has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lchoward has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by rockangel View Post
    It may be the gym you are at is more a "health club" than a serious lifting style gym. It may help if you go interview some other gyms who are more oriented to lifting, usually they will pull in more qualified and serious trainers.

I work in a more "health club" gym and they dont really have people lifting and really have little to no weight equipment. All kinds of machines but no power racks and such. Its why i dont work out ther

Usually it is because this type of club doesnt want lifters and caters to a different clientele, they probably dont see many ladies who actually want to lift. And when they see this special unicorn, have no idea what to do or dont believe them.

Its worth a shot.
    Also this.

lol, special unicorn.
    Food Scientist
    Former ballet dancer

viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Are there any powerlifting gyms near you? I had a similar issue and had to seek out a powerlifting gym to help me out. I still train at my other gym but wouldn't ever think about asking for help there.
    Instagram: vicclesloveskarate
    New log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170156703&p=1416249753#post1416249753
    Old log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166758171
    Old log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157799473&highlight=Vic%27s+log

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would think most trainers would teach you whatever you wanted as long as you're paying for the sessions. Anyways I agree you can learn the basics of lifting here, watch vids, read, learn, post vids of your own if you can and get form check advice, etc. I think most of us here learned that way and didn't have somebody at the gym with us to show us that stuff, it's easier than you think, go for it!

Also lol'd at title. Those people always look like they're having sooo much fun but I know a lot of that happiness comes from them peeing in the pool, srs, you can see it all over their faces.
    Last edited by thehobbes; 05-06-2015 at 07:29 PM. Reason: old people peeing in the pool, we all know
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

AddingPins is a name known to all. (+5000) AddingPins is a name known to all. (+5000) AddingPins is a name known to all. (+5000) AddingPins is a name known to all. (+5000) AddingPins is a name known to all. (+5000) AddingPins is a name known to all. (+5000) AddingPins is a name known to all. (+5000) AddingPins is a name known to all. (+5000) AddingPins is a name known to all. (+5000) AddingPins is a name known to all. (+5000) AddingPins is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I almost peed my pants laughing at that ^
    Reps on recharge sadly…
    IG: @addingpins
    www.stackingplates.com

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by thehobbes View Post
    I would think most trainers would teach you whatever you wanted as long as you're paying for the sessions. Anyways I agree you can learn the basics of lifting here, watch vids, read, learn, post vids of your own if you can and get form check advice, etc. I think most of us here learned that way and didn't have somebody at the gym with us to show us that stuff, it's easier than you think, go for it!

Also lol'd at title. Those people always look like they're having sooo much fun but I know a lot of that happiness comes from them peeing in the pool, srs, you can see it all over their faces.
    I think any trainer can (or should) teach the basics. The problem is that when you get places that are "planet fitness" in mentality, lifting is not really done. For instance, the gym i work for is great as far as people and classes go, but.... the DBs only go up so high, no power racks to teach squatting in, no bench presses, no where to do deadlifts, only 1 leg press for the entire place... etc. Its not geared to really lifting and the gym does not WANT lifters there. Hence why i have my own equipment more suited for lifting and dont work out in the gym.

Add to that its the sort of place that the clientele does not see lifting as an importance. So the trainers there are not the "type" of trainers that are interested in teaching lifting the compounds, and they really dont have the proper equipment to do it in. Most of the trainers are more interested in "functional" training and machine circuits. Its what the gym is set for and what the clientele wants.

Then you may get 1 person in maybe 200 that wants to seriously lift, and like i said, they either dont know what to do with that person, or dont take them seriously because of all the other clients. If you have 199 people say "i want to lift" but they wont pick up more than 10 pounds, the ONE person who says "I want to lift" and MEANS it... is shucked to the side because experience has taught them that clients dont want to actually lift like we mean it.

Thats why i suggested looking into another gym. A lot of chain gyms are more into the health club type setting and dont want us meatheads spoiling their pretty place, or grunting, or sweating, or dropping weights, or working too hard.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

ch1120 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ch1120 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ch1120 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ch1120 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ch1120 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ch1120 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ch1120 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ch1120 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ch1120 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ch1120 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ch1120 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Omg, special unicorn is my new favorite thing hahaha! OP, I totally know what you mean; most of the trainers at my gym have people reenacting Karate Kid on Bosu balls half the time, and using the leg extension machine for the rest. It's bizarre; NONE of them actually have their clients (men, even) lifting heavy. I taught myself how to lift and it isn't as hard as you may think. I was TERRIFIED of picking up an oly bar for the first time. I actually practiced squatting with a broomstick at home for days before I was confident enough to try it in the rack. Same for deadlifts. If you have researched and watched videos on how to lift properly, you will probably be fine; plus being nervous/unsure will just lend itself to you being aware of your form. I have pulled up this website in the middle of workouts to double check how to do certain exercises too LOL. You don't need a trainer, you can totally teach yourself. GL!

Thank you all for your sage insights. I feel not as dumb for being at a loss as to how to move forward. I'll look around for a gym that might suit me better and see what I can do to teach myself in the meantime.

So, before I came here to ask you lovelies what I should do, I bought a three session package from my gym hoping for some something, I don't even know. Well, might as well use it so I go in tonight at got (from a trainer I've talked to about my fitness goals) some more TRX that I flat rejected, got handed tiny pink kettle bells for some sort of bent over row thing that I handed back for being too light and crushed her planned 30 minute workout in about 17 minutes and sort of feel like I might have walked briskly to and from the parking lot.

Obviously on my own for the time being.

UPDATE FOR FIRST SQUATS!

So, I go to the gym today and the entire free weight area is empty. So I just jumped in and did a squat/bench/dl thing and now I feel much better about myself!

I also got some help from an adorable dude who looked frankly shocked to see me pop out from underneath the bench press so there's that but he got me set up with the dummy weights and what not for the dl. Glad to get the first day behind me, it's all gravy from here.

Thanks to you all for your moral support and confidence boost!

Originally Posted by gaming View Post
    UPDATE FOR FIRST SQUATS!

So, I go to the gym today and the entire free weight area is empty. So I just jumped in and did a squat/bench/dl thing and now I feel much better about myself!

I also got some help from an adorable dude who looked frankly shocked to see me pop out from underneath the bench press so there's that but he got me set up with the dummy weights and what not for the dl. Glad to get the first day behind me, it's all gravy from here.

Awesome!! And your right, biting the bullet for that first workout is the hardest step! Good job!
    Food Scientist
    Former ballet dancer

mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    UPDATE FOR FIRST SQUATS!

Good Job! Now going in there should be easier every time. I would suggest reading the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe if you are particularly interested in squat, bench and deadlift. Reading around these forums will also make your more knowledgeable but the most important thing from the get-go is to make sure you have the proper form down. Proper form should always come before more weight on the bar. The more you practice a lift incorrectly the harder it will be to unlearn that improper movement.
    Taking videos of yourself performing the lifts is helpful. Sometimes you will make certain movements and won't realize it until you see yourself doing it. If you post your video here you can get even more constructive criticism and feedback.

Glad you aren't doing any water aerobics!

ch1120 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ch1120 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ch1120 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ch1120 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ch1120 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ch1120 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ch1120 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ch1120 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ch1120 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ch1120 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ch1120 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The first time is the hardest and most nerve racking, way to go! It will be like second nature soon. And yay for adorable dudes, bahaha!

Spark77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spark77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spark77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spark77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spark77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spark77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spark77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spark77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spark77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spark77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spark77 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    gaming, I can so relate. I had an experience two years ago with some young smartass who I could tell had written me off over the phone the second he heard my female voice tell him I was in my late forties. I did meet with him in person, but he'd already had his mind made up about me. To this day I'd still love to shove a 2-pound pink dumbbell up his...

Anyhow, congratulations on just jumping in and doing it! Rock on!!

Spark77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spark77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spark77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spark77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spark77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spark77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spark77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spark77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spark77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spark77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Spark77 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Special unicorn? As opposed to a regular unicorn? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Originally Posted by Spark77 View Post
    Special unicorn? As opposed to a regular unicorn? (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
    Its a scientific fact that regular unicorns do not lift.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

^stealing this for signature

Talked to a trainer at the gym today that I've seen work with other people and I've always sort of liked and asked about using up my 3 session training pack with him and he was totally into doing form checks and getting some pr's on the books so that'll be fun!

I don't have the Starting Strength book but I've been following this thread: Guide to Novice Barbell Training, aka the Official RIPPETOE-STARTING STRENGTH FAQ (still can't post links) to get myself started.

Fractal8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fractal8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fractal8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fractal8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fractal8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fractal8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fractal8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fractal8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fractal8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fractal8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Fractal8 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    got handed tiny pink kettle bells for some sort of bent over row thing
    WHAT is up with those pink kettle bells? We have them at my gym and (thankfully) no one ever uses them. Even for classes, the instructors never pull out the pink ones.

Your posts made me crack up. Glad to you know went and dove in and just did it! Good luck, and hopefully (if it's what you're looking for and would still like at some point), you do find a trainer who'll listen to you. Hopefully the guy you've liked from afar will be just as good when you work through your 3 sessions with him!

I know I had to meet a couple trainers before I found one that was suitable. She has the back and arms of a beast ... and as soon as she was like, "so, you wanna find out your 1 rep max?" rather than asking me to clean and press with 5-lb plates for weeks, I was like, oohhh yeah, I'm gonna like her!

ROFL!!!

And gaming, your latest news is awesome--please continue to keep us posted on your progress!