Capa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Capa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Capa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Capa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Capa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Capa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is it okay to mix protein powder into my oatmeal?

Hello,

Just wondering if boiling hot water "destroys" protein powder (does it destroy the nutitional protein content?)

If not, I was thinking of mixing it into my oatmeal just to give it a chocolate taste. I got the idea from the muscle milk oatmeal pre-prepared bowls where you just add boilding water. I would buy the muscle milk things but at around $5 a pop, i'd prefer to just try it with the powder I have.

So, if it okay to mix oatmeal with my PVL whey and add boiling water? Or will the boiling water somehow "destroy" the nutritional value of the powder.

Thanks!

kknecht1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kknecht1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kknecht1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kknecht1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kknecht1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kknecht1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kknecht1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kknecht1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kknecht1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kknecht1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kknecht1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It most likely wont hurt, but you could just add the powder after you cook your oats

NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Talking

Originally Posted by Capa
    Hello,

Just wondering if boiling hot water "destroys" protein powder (does it destroy the nutitional protein content?)

If not, I was thinking of mixing it into my oatmeal just to give it a chocolate taste. I got the idea from the muscle milk oatmeal pre-prepared bowls where you just add boilding water. I would buy the muscle milk things but at around $5 a pop, i'd prefer to just try it with the powder I have.

So, if it okay to mix oatmeal with my PVL whey and add boiling water? Or will the boiling water somehow "destroy" the nutritional value of the powder.

Thanks!

Don't boil protein.

TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50) TJ_Strong will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Lol put it in the oatmeal when you are about ready to eat it.

aka in a bowl.

worldofwiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) worldofwiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) worldofwiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) worldofwiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) worldofwiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) worldofwiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) worldofwiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) worldofwiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) worldofwiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) worldofwiz will become famous soon enough. (+50) worldofwiz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by kknecht1
    It most likely wont hurt, but you could just add the powder after you cook your oats

Oh you are suppose to cook it? LOL Sometimes I don't even bother.
    Wiz

I don't use Bowflex. The Bowflex is lame. I only workout on the original Chuck Norris Total Body Gym. It's hardcore!

repoman_2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I add a scoop of protein powder to my cooked oatmeal whenever I eat it. I am wondering how much the heat affect the protein?

NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NO HYPE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Talking

Originally Posted by repoman_2
    I add a scoop of protein powder to my cooked oatmeal whenever I eat it. I am wondering how much the heat affect the protein?

Exposing protein to heat from something that has already been cooked, is one thing.... boiling or cooking protein is another.

GPG is on a distinguished road. (+10) GPG is on a distinguished road. (+10) GPG is on a distinguished road. (+10) GPG is on a distinguished road. (+10) GPG is on a distinguished road. (+10) GPG is on a distinguished road. (+10) GPG is on a distinguished road. (+10) GPG is on a distinguished road. (+10) GPG is on a distinguished road. (+10) GPG is on a distinguished road. (+10) GPG is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I just dump a packed of oatmeal in my shaker with my protien..tastes like **** though,

MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoonMan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    packet of oatmeal? that stuff isn't even good for you.
    get steel cut or quaker.

AHood has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AHood has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AHood has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AHood has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AHood has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AHood has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AHood has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AHood has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AHood has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AHood has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AHood has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i just eat my oats uncooked with milk and hemp protein anyway so lately ive been just putting it all in a shaker. milk, water ,oats, hemp protein, isolate power. shake and drink probably one of the most complete meals you could eat.

KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by NO HYPE
    Don't boil protein.
    If you had something real hot before then had ure protein drink would that boil the protein ? how long to wait before u drink?

Nick29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nick29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nick29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nick29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nick29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nick29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nick29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nick29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nick29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nick29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nick29 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Don't boil protein.
    why not? Cooking wouldn't do much more than denature the protein. You're not going to damage the amino acids from boiling. I make no claims to be an expert on digestion, but afaik, protein has to be broken down (not just denatured) before the body can use it anyway.

Noone seems to be worried about damaging the protein in whole foods by cooking them. What makes it an issue with whey?

Talking

Originally Posted by Nick29

"Cooking wouldn't do much more than denature the protein. You're not going to damage the amino acids from boiling."

What do you think denaturation means?

When denaturation occurs.... most proteins lose their biological functions.

Denatured protein is the alteration of a protein (in this case, via extreme temperatures), in such a way that it will no longer aquire the ability to carry out it's cellular function.

Talking

Originally Posted by Nick29

"Noone seems to be worried about damaging the protein in whole foods by cooking them."

.... Well that's their problem.

Nick29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nick29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nick29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nick29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nick29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nick29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nick29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nick29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nick29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nick29 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Nick29 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Denatured protein is the alteration of a protein (in this case, via extreme temperatures), in such a way that it will no longer aquire the ability to carry out it's cellular function.
    denaturation is unfolding of the protein. The amino acids are still intact, and still in order. Your body doesn't just take the whole protein from a food and start using it; it breaks down the protein into individual amino acids. Between the enzymes and acid in your stomach, a whole protein is damaged a lot more during digestion than you could ever do from cooking.
    Last edited by Nick29; 11-19-2006 at 09:35 AM.

Bob Loblaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bob Loblaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bob Loblaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bob Loblaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bob Loblaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bob Loblaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bob Loblaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bob Loblaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bob Loblaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bob Loblaw will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bob Loblaw will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In most cases denatured proteins are much more easily absorbed by the body than raw proteins, such as eggs, animal meats, and beans (I'm guessing on the beans).

I wonder if milk proteins such as whey get denatured as part of the extraction process? If that is the case, boiling whey protein for a few minutes shouldn't hurt them.
    I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum.

ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10) ericTHEninja is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Capa
    Hello,

Thanks!
    Instead, do 1 cup dry oatmeal, 1 cup milk, 2 tbsp natural peanut butter, and 1 scoop of whey. throw it in the freezer for about 5-10 minutes. It's a full meal and it tastes awesome. Credit to Derek Charlebois.

GPG is on a distinguished road. (+10) GPG is on a distinguished road. (+10) GPG is on a distinguished road. (+10) GPG is on a distinguished road. (+10) GPG is on a distinguished road. (+10) GPG is on a distinguished road. (+10) GPG is on a distinguished road. (+10) GPG is on a distinguished road. (+10) GPG is on a distinguished road. (+10) GPG is on a distinguished road. (+10) GPG is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jhick40
    packet of oatmeal? that stuff isn't even good for you.
    get steel cut or quaker.
    The packets are quaker...

TheBigEasy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheBigEasy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheBigEasy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheBigEasy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheBigEasy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheBigEasy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheBigEasy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheBigEasy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheBigEasy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheBigEasy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheBigEasy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I learned what not to do...I put a scoop of GNC Strawberry Whey on my instant oats, mixed it up, and threw it in the microwave. F'n terrible! The protein wadded up into a gluey mass and it tasted like crap. Like chewing on rubber. It took everything I could do to not throw up.

Don't do it!!!! Let me be the only dumbass here...
    You're = You Are
    Your = Your protein. Your weight belt. Your gym bag.
    They're = They are
    There = Over there
    Their = Their book. Their car. Their ball.

retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50) retro_roots will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I love Oats+Whey, my best method is cook the oats in the micro, using less water than I normally would, until they are about to "puff over". Pull'em out and then a bunch of cinnamon then pour a little cold water on top, then stir like a mad man. Then, scoop your Whey on top and pour more cold water over the whey. This cools the oats, so you dont burn your mouth and keeps your whey from getting to hot, and dissolves the whey so it stirs in much better.

Other good things to add are, coco powder, frozen fruit, or ice cubes to really cool the oats down fast.
    "Stimulate, don't Annihilate."

- Lee Haney

"God has smiled on me and he's been good to me;
    God has smiled on me and he has set me free."

- Afroman

Blap Blaow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blap Blaow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blap Blaow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blap Blaow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blap Blaow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blap Blaow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blap Blaow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blap Blaow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blap Blaow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blap Blaow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blap Blaow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

wow- this is the second time I've seen you post this complete irrelevance.

Amino acids are absorbed free form via enzymatic action or protein/peptides. Unless you're taking about injesting functional peptides such as dietary enzymes why does the loss of biological function matter as long as 1° structure remains intact?
    BLAP BLAP BLAPB APBLAP PLAB BAPB BP@P BLAPL APBLL LBAP

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    - Albert Einstein

www.abuildingsite.com

Talking

Originally Posted by Blap Blaow
    wow- this is the second time I've seen you post this complete irrelevance.

Oh yeah, that's right.... I forgot that you are the one who deems posts relevant or irrelevant?

Talking

Originally Posted by Blap Blaow

"Amino acids are absorbed free form via enzymatic action or protein/peptides."

Yeah, and were you aware of the fact that there are various degrees of denaturation?

Thermal denaturation can initiate irreversible alteration of various protein molecules.

Do you know what this irreversible alteration does to the protein molecule?.... it renders it's cellular function useless.

Would the consumer even realize it?.... No.

Does that mean that it doesn't happen?.... No.

Does this mean that the consumer won't still be getting some viable protein out of what wasn't damaged?.... No.

Any questions?

Do you know what this irreversible alteration does to the protein molecule?.... it renders it's cellular function useless.
    What makes you think that's at all relevant? Any protein you eat is going to be denatured in your stomach and/or small intestine to a much greater extent than will occur from putting whey in oatmeal. I said it once, but I guess it needs repeating: YOUR BODY DOESN'T TAKE WHOLE PROTEINS AND PUT THEM TO USE. It breaks them down into amino acids and then uses them to make new proteins. No protein will pass through your digestive tract without being denatured, and denatured does not automatically mean "useless."

There have been a few studies done that relate to this discussion. Some have found that cooking reduces the amount of protein in meat/fish by a couple percent. But, there are others that have found that cooking things like meat/fish increase the biological value of the food's protein. I haven't seen any studies that investigated heating protein supplements like whey. Regardless, I highly doubt you'll lose more than a few tenths of a gram of protein by adding whey to cooked oatmeal. That's not nearly enough to justify not doing it IMO.

It is important to understand that the denatured state of the protein does NOT equate with the unfolding of the protein. Actually, denatured proteins exist in a set of partially folded states.
    Last edited by GPG; 11-22-2006 at 12:06 AM.

1121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 1121 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by retro_roots
    I love Oats+Whey, my best method is cook the oats in the micro, using less water than I normally would, until they are about to "puff over". Pull'em out and then a bunch of cinnamon then pour a little cold water on top, then stir like a mad man. Then, scoop your Whey on top and pour more cold water over the whey. This cools the oats, so you dont burn your mouth and keeps your whey from getting to hot, and dissolves the whey so it stirs in much better.

Other good things to add are, coco powder, frozen fruit, or ice cubes to really cool the oats down fast.
    thats exactly what i do.

Yeah, and were you aware of the fact that there are various degrees of denaturation?

Thermal denaturation can initiate irreversible alteration of various protein molecules.

Would the consumer even realize it?.... No.

Does that mean that it doesn't happen?.... No.

Does this mean that the consumer won't still be getting some viable protein out of what wasn't damaged?.... No.

Any questions?

Does anyone have any evidence that any of the above statements are false?

Blap Blaow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blap Blaow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blap Blaow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blap Blaow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blap Blaow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blap Blaow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blap Blaow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blap Blaow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blap Blaow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blap Blaow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Blap Blaow is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    errrr, no one's saying your statements are false, just irrelevant.
    Last edited by Blap Blaow; 11-22-2006 at 05:33 AM.
    BLAP BLAP BLAPB APBLAP PLAB BAPB BP@P BLAPL APBLL LBAP

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    - Albert Einstein

www.abuildingsite.com